• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

You know, there is some talent at NU

One of my favorite philosophical questions is "if a tree falls in the forest but no one is there to hear it fall, does it make a sound?" The football equivalent to this is "if a four-star recruit never plays in a game, or does play but doesn't make plays in said game, is that player really talented?"

That's similar to my favorite philosophical question....

ifatreefalls.jpg

One of my favorite philosophical questions is "if a tree falls in the forest but no one is there to hear it fall, does it make a sound?" The football equivalent to this is "if a four-star recruit never plays in a game, or does play but doesn't make plays in said game, is that player really talented?"

I have been around long enough to see lots of highly-touted recruits go bust so I am not excited about the new talent we have on our roster. As for the returning starters...we had 9 returning starters on offense last year and our offense was pathetic most of the year so no, I am not all that excited about our returning talent. When they start winning more games than they lose I will start getting excited.
At 50% failure rate, thats still more on this team than weve had starting

I'm talking about raw talent upon arrival. Some programs develop their players and put them into position to win. I'm assuming the OP is referring to raw talent, because their accolades at this level thus far are minimal.
I see, it makes sense.

But heres the better question to ponder, how many graduated here? That great ungrown talent?
They left.

Well, now we have more talent than weve had likely this century, now, a lot could leave, and th normal amount could not live up to their billing, but that still leaves as talented as weve been this century.

Easy to just look and do some math, and the numbers are there.

I see, it makes sense.

But heres the better question to ponder, how many graduated here? That great ungrown talent?
They left.

Well, now we have more talent than weve had likely this century, now, a lot could leave, and th normal amount could not live up to their billing, but that still leaves as talented as weve been this century.

Easy to just look and do some math, and the numbers are there.

I'd say we were probably at peak talent somewhere between 2005 and 2010.

Just look at the roster on the defensive side from 2009. Suh, Hagg, Amukamura, Dennard, Dillard, Compton, Crick, Asante, O'Hanlon. All those guys went on to play in the pros. We don't have that kind of talent on our roster right now.
I will argue that. Besides Suh, the rest of the list could compare. Most of them came in lightly regarded and developed here. That is what we need to happen. I do like that talent from that 2009 bunch though, wow.

I'd say we were probably at peak talent somewhere between 2005 and 2010.
Are you are saying the sites that grade talent are now horribly wrong, by having such a large amount of players that are 4 stars on this current team, and though we havnt seen many of them play, or as freshmen if we have, they are wrong?

If you re saying they missed mote talent back then, and are now more thorough, maybe theres something to that

Last edited:

Heres some names that are 4 stars, now some are D linemen, not Casey Rogers,but 4 stars,like
Wildeman,others are 4 stars like Tannor, but also Heinrich, both LBs,
I could name them all, but I'm pointing out two here, from the same coaches,where one seems to be doing well,the other is yet and unknown or not looking like a 4 star.

Now, as I said,not every 4 star is going to end up playing like one, but most at least contribute while others are never going to, but over half will and start, and play well.

But even so, the staff have also recruited many highly rated 3 stars as well, using the 247 grading, where an .88 guy is almost a 4 star,and it could be that all they need is weight.

But there are the Casey Rogers on this team, a mid three star rated coming out,so, why did he develop and not others?

Then you add in the ages,are we just going to give up on freshmen now? 4 stars or not?

So,some development is happening, and many guys are very young, and only going by the recruiting site numbers, we do have more talent now than then.

To me, I see development in guys, I see young guys where its too early, but I also see guys that have left that are struggling to make starts on lower teams that I dont dismiss,because every guy counts that leaves, not just the proven starters, because many of those guys are misses, and few leave when they arent.

It comes down to, we are young with lots of talent, too young yet to see how much theyll develop, but we have them, they havnt left, and they are in high numbers.

Too early to make the call IMO. This year, we will finally see most of them, then we will know, can they develop guys, and just how much talent is there on this team.

Tired of hope, need results to cling to.......
Won’t even argue that. I’m a results guy. Just have to stand pat right now, almost a must, to follow thru with this. Like I’ve said, many times, if his name wasn’t Scott Frost........

That’s where Husker Nation stands. It’s at a crossroads, and has to stay the course. This particular situation, you have to be sure. It’s going to be interesting for sure.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back