• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

You know, there is some talent at NU

Husker In Oklahoma

All American
20 Year Member
I was just looking at the LJS projected 2 deep. There are some dudes at NU. I know it is cliché to say, but if, IF, NU can catch a few breaks, and some of these guys start clicking together, I think they could win some games, maybe some they shouldn’t (Oklahoma).

I’m so hopeful, but really, looking at that 2 deep, there are some players here. Punishing ground game, beef up front, and some wideouts and TE’s that have athleticism, speed, and some size. Could be a deadly combo if they can get it together. Couple that with what appears to be a better defense, maybe 2021 is when it gets going?

However bad is was with Riley, I knew there was no hope. With Frost, there is hope, but hope has taken a punch in the gut that was unexpected. Now is the time!

I was just looking at the LJS projected 2 deep. There are some dudes at NU. I know it is cliché to say, but if, IF, NU can catch a few breaks, and some of these guys start clicking together, I think they could win some games, maybe some they shouldn’t (Oklahoma).

I’m so hopeful, but really, looking at that 2 deep, there are some players here. Punishing ground game, beef up front, and some wideouts and TE’s that have athleticism, speed, and some size. Could be a deadly combo if they can get it together. Couple that with what appears to be a better defense, maybe 2021 is when it gets going?

However bad is was with Riley, I knew there was no hope. With Frost, there is hope, but hope has taken a punch in the gut that was unexpected. Now is the time!
I think you just summed up most everyone's opinion.

One of my favorite philosophical questions is "if a tree falls in the forest but no one is there to hear it fall, does it make a sound?" The football equivalent to this is "if a four-star recruit never plays in a game, or does play but doesn't make plays in said game, is that player really talented?"

I have been around long enough to see lots of highly-touted recruits go bust so I am not excited about the new talent we have on our roster. As for the returning starters...we had 9 returning starters on offense last year and our offense was pathetic most of the year so no, I am not all that excited about our returning talent. When they start winning more games than they lose I will start getting excited.

How do you define talent? (Webster)
1. Talent definition: a natural aptitude, an inner quality that emerges effortlessly.
Skill definition: an acquired ability, learned with effort.

Regarding the issue of "talent", over the last three years we have seen it defined more by #1 and less by #2.

Second, "talent' alone is insufficient to lead to results on the field as the last three years have shown us. It must be coupled with:

-leadership: where are we going and how are going to get there (championships)
-attention to detail
-unity of purpose
-preparation before the games that leads to the desired outcome
-commitment to all three phases of the game equally

The 2021 team when the freshman arrive on campus, will have more physical "talent" than any team DONU has had this CENTURY.
The match up "talent" wise with every team they play except OU and OSU, they do not have the age depth (juniors and senior "talent") of those two teams.

So will see if more of this "talent" can be harnessed and effort driven talent manifested in 2021.

GBR

Last edited:

We've had more talent than every other team in the Big Ten West for as long as we've been in the division.
The NFL would beg to differ.

Wisconsin, Iowa and even Minnesota have had more players drafted the last three years than we have.

And for our whole duration in the BIG, Wisconsin has been our equal if not better in talent. Just an honest look at their O-line, RB's and TE over that span compared to us would tell you that.

Add the outcomes of the head to head match ups and its hard to argue different.

GBR

Agreed! Coaches communicated excitement and potential in press conferences today (as did the players) and there are a lot of reasons to be excited. You outlined it well.

The NFL would beg to differ.

Wisconsin, Iowa and even Minnesota have had more players drafted the last three years than we have.

And for our whole duration in the BIG, Wisconsin has been our equal if not better in talent. Just an honest look at their O-line, RB's and TE over that span compared to us would tell you that.

Add the outcomes of the head to head match ups and its hard to argue different.

GBR

I'm talking about raw talent upon arrival. Some programs develop their players and put them into position to win. I'm assuming the OP is referring to raw talent, because their accolades at this level thus far are minimal.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back