• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Faking Injuries

SierraRed

I'm pretty good at drinking beer
5 Year Member
https://www.espn.com/college-footba...les-committee-address-players-faking-injuries
The AFCA is asking the NCAA Rules Committee to address the issue of players faking injuries at next month's meeting.
"Our ethics committee, which suggests rules changes to the NCAA, said by unanimous consent that this has got to stop," said AFCA executive director Todd Berry. "So they asked the rules committee to do something about it. It's bad for football."
What that exact deterrent is remains to be seen. One potential option, Berry said, would require an injured player to miss the remainder of the series. Coaches would be able to use a timeout in order to "buy" that player back into the game right away.
I'm not convinced that missing the rest of a series is a strong enough deterrent. I would suggest the rest of a quarter, and the next quarter if there are less than 2 minutes left in the quarter where the player went down.

Apologies if there is another thread on this. I looked but didn't see one.

So who determines if an injury is faked? Will every injury need to get checked out in the locker room by an arbitrary doctor? How about stingers? Not injured but a minute of pain. Is getting the wind knocked out of you an injury?

If you think targeting is arbitrary and full of subjectivity then hold onto your beer because this would get downright stupid. We have to stop adding all these rules trying to control the uncontrollable just because someone got their feelings hurt and felt like something in the game treated their team unfairly. Geesh people.

So who determines if an injury is faked? Will every injury need to get checked out in the locker room by an arbitrary doctor? How about stingers? Not injured but a minute of pain. Is getting the wind knocked out of you an injury?

If you think targeting is arbitrary and full of subjectivity then hold onto your beer because this would get downright stupid. We have to stop adding all these rules trying to control the uncontrollable just because someone got their feelings hurt and felt like something in the game treated their team unfairly. Geesh people.
At Memorial you could just do the review based on the loudness of the crowd immediately following the "flop". :Cool:

Doesn't matter if it is faked. You make the rule so that if any player has to to be attended to on the field, they are out for a certain amount of plays, or a certain amount of time. If the player is truly injured they will have time to fully recover before returning to play. If they are faking it, the coach will have time to consider whether or not it was worth the temporary loss of that player.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...les-committee-address-players-faking-injuries
The AFCA is asking the NCAA Rules Committee to address the issue of players faking injuries at next month's meeting.

I'm not convinced that missing the rest of a series is a strong enough deterrent. I would suggest the rest of a quarter, and the next quarter if there are less than 2 minutes left in the quarter where the player went down.

It was discussed a while ago. My thoughts were. 1st time you go down with an injury that stops action. You are out for that series. If you go down a second time a you are out for 15 minutes of clock time. go down a 3rd you are done for the game

If there was a way to detect fake injuries, your auto insurance would be a fraction of what you now pay.

Doesn't matter if it is faked. You make the rule so that if any player has to to be attended to on the field, they are out for a certain amount of plays, or a certain amount of time. If the player is truly injured they will have time to fully recover before returning to play. If they are faking it, the coach will have time to consider whether or not it was worth the temporary loss of that player.
Exactly you can make the rule in the name of player safety.

It was discussed a while ago. My thoughts were. 1st time you go down with an injury that stops action. You are out for that series. If you go down a second time a you are out for 15 minutes of clock time. go down a 3rd you are done for the game
Sounds reasonable

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back