• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Faking Injuries

aka: what Indiana did vs Nebr 16 months ago, I dont know how many, but it was alot. We would go to the l.o.s. to do a hurry up play and a guy would go down with a cramp... foot... knee... shoulder,... jock itch.... whatever it was, 15 times maybe, it was a huge #, and none of those players missed more than 3-4 plays, tops. Im not sure but I think one player did it 4-5 times just himself.

Any injured player sits out for at least 15 game minutes. This is an issue of player safety, right? Heck, they had to sit out 21 days for Covid.

Coaches will just put in third stringers to fake the injury. There is always another loophole.
It's possible, but the defense would be disadvantaging themselves in that period of time. Put your third string D-tackle in - guess who I'm running against? Third string CB, guess who's I'm throwing the ball to? Roll the coverage to that CBs side, well now I have number on the opposite side.

There isn't a bullet proof answer. The question is do you try to improve a known issue?

Last edited:

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...les-committee-address-players-faking-injuries
The AFCA is asking the NCAA Rules Committee to address the issue of players faking injuries at next month's meeting.

I'm not convinced that missing the rest of a series is a strong enough deterrent. I would suggest the rest of a quarter, and the next quarter if there are less than 2 minutes left in the quarter where the player went down.

Apologies if there is another thread on this. I looked but didn't see one.
Not feasible for the simple reason that you can't instantly verify every actual injury, let alone a fake one. Missing the rest of the series will do or maybe even better, a clock run off.

aka: what Indiana did vs Nebr 16 months ago, I dont know how many, but it was alot. We would go to the l.o.s. to do a hurry up play and a guy would go down with a cramp... foot... knee... shoulder,... jock itch.... whatever it was, 15 times maybe, it was a huge #, and none of those players missed more than 3-4 plays, tops. Im not sure but I think one player did it 4-5 times just himself.
You are correct. It was a coaches son.

Doesn't matter if it is faked. You make the rule so that if any player has to to be attended to on the field, they are out for a certain amount of plays, or a certain amount of time. If the player is truly injured they will have time to fully recover before returning to play. If they are faking it, the coach will have time to consider whether or not it was worth the temporary loss of that player.

Then sitting out the rest of a quarter or an entire quarter if less than 2 minutes is ridicules. Seriously, sitting a quarter for a cramp?

C

20 years ago everyone huddled up after every play - there was no need to dive. You want a sign of weakness? The defense is saying they can't handle the pressure the offense is applying so they exploit a loophole to get a break; that's a sign of weakness.

Nothing wrong with closing a loophole.
No huddle has been around a while. There is always a loop hole somewhere. Let’s just make some more rules, ruin the game even further, that’s always the answer. :rolleyes:

They didn’t lose because of someone faking a damn injury, they lost because they sucked. Again, if you lose a game because someone faked an injury, you already suck.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back