• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wide Receivers Coach

That's one of my frustrations. I'm not going to go the "he doesn't know what he's doing" route but the blueprint is freaking there. If you read my "quick write up" post, I went through how bad Iowa destroyed us on special teams, they have a full time ST coordinator with no position responsibilities. In a one score game, field position and turnovers created on special teams matters.

I have zero idea why we are just going the analyst route. The good news is there is nowhere to go but up.
Well my friend I sure you're right about nowhere to go but up. You're familar with Murphy's Law but perhaps not O'Dough's Law which states Murphy was an optimist. :Banghead:

I already looked it up and did a post on it. Are you asking fully dedicated special teams coach? Or just a full time position coach with the special teams title? As opposed to just an analyst like we had?

The teams we are chasing in our division such as Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Iowa all have full-time special teams coordinators with no other responsibilities (do not coach a position).

The teams we are chasing in the CFP like Ohio State, Alabama, and Clemson all have a position coach like the TEs coach responsible for special teams coordinator.

I just read 57 out of 65 P5 teams (Notre Dame included) have a full-time special teams coach, but unsure how true those numbers are. We would be 1 of the 8 teams that didn't in the entire country. We also are the only team in the B1G that does not have one if I remember correctly.

The blueprint is out there. You need a full-time guy doing it. We were so bad in 2020 i'm shocked we are still trying to do it the same way. But the good news is there quite literally is nowhere to go but up so it will "work better" in 2021.
We agree on this. I guess I’m okay with a full time coach being assigned ST coordinator, but I think it’s important enough to have a full time dedicated coordinator. Like you said, as bad as we’ve been on special teams the status quo strategy seems irresponsible and I’m surprised Frost hasn’t made the change yet. He did say he is considering it, so I guess there’s still time for him to make the change.

We agree on this. I guess I’m okay with a full time coach being assigned ST coordinator, but I think it’s important enough to have a full time dedicated coordinator. Like you said, as bad as we’ve been on special teams the status quo strategy seems irresponsible and I’m surprised Frost hasn’t made the change yet. He did say he is considering it, so I guess there’s still time for him to make the change.
I'm cool with that. I just don't know what the shuffle would be to get a fully dedicated guy. I just think Frost has basically said that he's not making staff changes, so I think a full-time guy is gonna get the title.

I'm cool with that. I just don't know what the shuffle would be to get a fully dedicated guy. I just think Frost has basically said that he's not making staff changes, so I think a full-time guy is gonna get the title.
Right. That would likely only happen if Lubick takes the Montana HC job and Frost has to reshuffle. If there are no staff changes the best we can hope for is that a current full time coach is designated ST coordinator. That would be a step in the right direction I guess.

I already looked it up and did a post on it. Are you asking fully dedicated special teams coach? Or just a full time position coach with the special teams title? As opposed to just an analyst like we had?

The teams we are chasing in our division such as Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Iowa all have full-time special teams coordinators with no other responsibilities (do not coach a position).

The teams we are chasing in the CFP like Ohio State, Alabama, and Clemson all have a position coach like the TEs coach responsible for special teams coordinator.

I just read 57 out of 65 P5 teams (Notre Dame included) have a full-time special teams coach, but unsure how true those numbers are. We would be 1 of the 8 teams that didn't in the entire country. We also are the only team in the B1G that does not have one if I remember correctly.

The blueprint is out there. You need a full-time guy doing it. We were so bad in 2020 i'm shocked we are still trying to do it the same way. But the good news is there quite literally is nowhere to go but up so it will "work better" in 2021.
Conversely, I wonder how many B1G teams have a dedicated QB coach?

I think the team could benefit from a dedicated ST coach, WR coach, and OC. There in lies the issue — we need more coaches than we’re allowed (and that every other team gets by with what they are allowed should be causing alarms to go off).

I don’t see Verduzco interact much with the QBs on game day. They generally seem to talk to Frost (obviously I don’t see everything). So moving Verduzco to an analyst seems easy. I’d think the QB would have more interaction with the OC on game day anyway. That would get us one more coach.

I used to like the idea of the HC being either OC or DC, and if that could be done, that gives us another coaching spot free. However, after the last three years, I think Frost should be more of a CEO and give up any/all OC duties.

Thus we are where we are (12-20). The fact that this conversation comes up so much is a sign to me that we don’t have the right mix of coaches and something should have been done. That ship has sailed.

Are people upset we have one of those? Every team in the B1G has one, and most of them are the Offensive Coordinator. That's a pretty important position.

I think what he's asking is do any other teams have just a QB coach who is not assigned any other duties like being OC.

In the Big Ten

Iowa, Ohio State, and Wisconsin have just a dedicated QB coach
The other 10 have an OC or Co-OC act as QB coach (that's with Lovie''s staff at Illinois not BB's).

And I agree you have to have someone be in charge of that position, much like special teams.

Last edited:
Mark Helfrich will be our new OC, WR Coach if our current coordinator leaves.
Frost is definitely familiar. But Helfrich definitely took shots at him once he left Oregon. And if we are spinning moving away from needing Wan'Dale Robinsons and Deanthony Thomas' as good things so we can be more who we want to be, is hiring Helfrich the right call anyway?

Last edited:

Mark Helfrich will be our new OC, WR Coach if our current coordinator leaves.

Quick question about Helfrich, I know when he was OC under Kelly, that Kelly called the plays. Did Helfrich do the same with Frost or did Frost run the whole show as OC? I think if Lubick moves on, Helfrich would be a good hire.

Why do we have technically three linebacker coaches (Chins, Ruud, Dawson)? Why do we waste a spot on just a QB coach? IF Lubick does leave, you have to jettison Verduzco to an analyst at least and bring in an OC that can work with the QB's. Frost can work with the WR's like at Oregon and help with the QB's (chemistry). Then bring Sean Snyder closer to home with an offer he cannot refuse. I think being closer to his father would go a long way if the title and money was right.

Last edited:

Are people upset we have one of those? Every team in the B1G has one, and most of them are the Offensive Coordinator. That's a pretty important position.

I guess that's my biggest gripe. Having a separate OC, a separate QB coach, a separate TE coach and then the HC is the offensive genius to boot. If the offense was humming by now and Verdu seemed to be bringing some major value in development, it would be fine. Just seems like the juice isn't worth the squeeze when ST is such a dumpster fire and we have some duplication on the offensive side of the ball.

But maybe nobody will come since the Huskers are struggling so bad? I don't know. Just another place where Frost kind of painted himself into a corner and now he's committed/stuck.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back