• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wandale....

Ummmm...I do.. Even the most senior players have never experienced winning. And their success rate has gotten worse through the Frost years. What evidence is there that demonstrates there is a winning culture in Lincoln?
I think it's far more of a dumpster fire now than it ever was under Riley. I also believe @BLyons11 laid it out quite well with his post on page two.

For a team that is in desperate need to take a step forward, there's been an incredible number of failures with personnel. I'm mostly convinced Frost is in over his head.
I do not believe SF is over his head. His pedigree suggests he shouldn’t be. Of course sitting in the center seat is different than the one next to it. I believe SF wasn’t equipped to lead such a significant rebuild ... that I hope will improve as SF continues on.

The seniors were part of a bigger dumpster fire preceding SF.

Kentucky makes sense......
Got some info a couple weeks ago from neighbors when we went to Titans / Lions game ... his youngest son rooms with one of Wan’dale’s close friends at Western Kentucky ... the son was saying there’s been a coaching change (assistant) or planned charge to the Kentucky offense that would be more attractive to WR’s talents.

Kids go home after 9 months in lockup. Probably want to stay there.
First time I got scared about Frosts culture hope its just Covid year homesick.
Hope we get some transfers in too. Like from Alabama and Clemson, and yes I believe in the tooth fairy too.
Saw rumors and can't really catch my breath rt? Ugh.

I do not believe SF is over his head. His pedigree suggests he shouldn’t be. Of course sitting in the center seat is different than the one next to it. I believe SF wasn’t equipped to lead such a significant rebuild ... that I hope will improve as SF continues on.

The seniors were part of a bigger dumpster fire preceding SF.
What pedigree? serious question.

I hate it but I 100% understand the kid. He needs to do what is best for his future & his family. Going to a better program where he gets more exposure, less touches at running back and more touches at slot receiver 100% equates to better draft stock. Honestly, even as a die hard Nebraska fan... I would advise him to do the same.

I definitely understand the narrative of wanting to build a winning culture overtime...the problem is, the luxury of "overtime" doesn't exist. We need to start winning and we need to start winning now or the hole gets deeper and deeper to climb out of. If you run a company you can slow down growth or manage expenses / revenue while you're establishing your culture, you can't do that in CFB unless your a mediocre program with average expectations.

You can't keep sacrificing Ws while all of your talent transfers out because your losing accountability counsel only wants perfectly committed 18 & 19 year old kids in the program. You need to meet the kids where they're at and do the best you can with it. Get the best talent on the field and make incremental steps with your culture over time...and by the way, the biggest culture cure is winning.

I also think a huge problem is Scott wants to be boys with his players. He's too emotionally vested with AM and others on the team. Being too emotionally vested with your players and staff can lead you to be biased in your decision making and I 100% see that as a major issue with Scott's personality. You could almost see Scott agonizing in interviews over the switch to LM vs AM mid season... not saying that was the right or wrong decision but the problem lies with being too personally vested in that decision and it makes you wonder where else that is going on in the program. Are you going to be as direct with a player or coach about a mistake when they're a close friend...it certainly makes it harder, it's human nature. Nick Saban don't give a crab about ripping a player a new one if they mess up or making a switch at a position.

Hear me say, I fully think there is a way to love your players well and be there for them as young men and help them succeed in life but I think those boundaries need to be clear on and off the field and all the talk about "so and so being a great person" or "making a switch at this position was the hardest decision I've ever had to make" leads me to believe Scott does a bad job with those boundaries and it shows up in shortcomings... It's probably the same reason he didn't take Joe Burrow and won't bring a transfer QB in this year. Playing favorites is not fair to the rest of the team and I do think that is an issue with our program.

So to conclude, my opinion is probably worthless but... I'm tired of hearing about accountability and culture when the kids have yet to experience any level of success that gives them hope their hard work is paying off and Scott needs to be more of a CEO and less of a best friend.
I don’t disagree with his handling of AM ... does reek of favoritism but I’m not sure you’re being fair completely either. After AMs freshmen season ... everyone on this board was very satisfied with him as the QB and a strong argument could be made that we didn’t want to upset the apple cart with a grad transfer (Burrow).

I am a LM fan and I basically got run off this board advocating that LM not AM should be our starting QB ... “noodle arm” ... were some such comments. QB recruiting has been solid under SF. QB development may be another story.

I’m not sure the issue is SF’s relationship with players. Rather I think it is TO-esque loyalty to his assistants. Every great manager knows you surround yourself with people smarter than yourself. SF hired friends and brought in guys way over their head as P5 assistants ... particularly when he (SF) had limited head coaching experience.

Last edited:

What pedigree? serious question.
Beyond his playing experience ... which doesn’t need to be shared.
His collegiate playing experience underneath Walsh and Osborn.

His 5 years as an NFL player.

His 13 years as a collegiate assistant ... including NU, KSU and Oregon.
His coordinator experience at Oregon.
His head coaching experience at UCF.

Much more impressive resume than Pelini ... who had ZERO head coaching experience. Frankly more impressive than Riley ... who had an overall losing record.

Got some info a couple weeks ago from neighbors when we went to Titans / Lions game ... his youngest son rooms with one of Wan’dale’s close friends at Western Kentucky ... the son was saying there’s been a coaching change (assistant) or planned charge to the Kentucky offense that would be more attractive to WR’s talents.

Kentucky fired both their OC and QB coach. Their new OC is the current LA Rams QB coach.

The Wildcats went 5-6 on the season, beating #23 NC State in a bowl game. Otherwise, it was a disappointment, as UK had winning seasons each of their past four under Stoops. So what does Stoops do when things aren't going well? Make changes. I'm certain Stoops wasn't in danger of losing his job, considering the four years prior to this season was the most successful since Bear Bryant was coach in the late-40s/early-50s. But, you can't get complacent in today's college football world.

Last edited:
Frankly more impressive than Riley ... who had an overall losing record.

Frost and Riley's career college head coach winning percentage are nearly identical.

Frost .534
Riley .531

And that's with Frost having had a 13-0 season in the mix! Riley had 9 winning seasons and 8 losing seasons. Frost has had 1 winning season and 4 losing seasons.

Frost is 13-20 at Nebraska -- worst 3-year stretch since Bill Jennings.
Riley was 19-19 at Nebraska.

What makes Frost more impressive?

Last edited:

This one really sucks! I can’t find a really good reason for losing our best offensive player.
I can think of several reasons why wandale would say goodbye

1. was sold on being
Your assessment then is that WR is transferring because our QBs throw inaccurate passes, our OL and other wide receivers sometimes don't block very well, our offensive coaches put Wan'Dale in dangerous situations by sending him on routes over the middle, play calling sucks, and he doesn't want to be a running back?

I think I covered all 5 points right?
that sounds accurate to me

he left on out, wandale clearly has zero confidence in HCSF if he chooses to leave

You said "Coaches can't block kids from certain schools, yada, yada, yada..." And I countered with the current example of one of our (I believe) WR's (can't remember his name) who used the portal and went to UCF Spring of 2020. Guess what? He wasn't "blocked" by Nebraska but his scholarship release papers were NOT signed by Nebraska so he COULDN'T PLAY at UCF this past season, hence he was "blocked" but not in the way it use to be. And UCF was pissed. It was, IMO, in response to UCF telling their players, when Frost left, that their release papers would not be signed if they went to Nebraska (though Vedral got out but they had Milton, so they didn't care).

Another example for you? Napalm is no longer allowed in war according to the Geneva Convention rules but "Incendiary devices" (i.e. napalm) is. Same thing, different name. If you need a more in depth explanation, PM and I will give it to you.
The BIG also has their own rules when it comes to intra conference transfers.

The one player we absolutely cannot afford to lose... and it's starting to sound like we are going to lose him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back