• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Just looking at the Iowa game, I was encouraged. But it's still the little things that add up that matter.

2. And you still didn't answer my question as to whether Scott has someone to use as a mentor/sounding board to help him with things in the program he may not see himself?

I thought that is what they brought Matt Davison in to do, whatever that job title is.

I thought that is what they brought Matt Davison in to do, whatever that job title is.
Davison is more the buffer between Moos and Frost. When Moos has to tell Frost no on things MD will make it a bit less negative or confrontational. Davison also is really involved in the recruiting part when kids and their parents come to town. Also helps to chaperone a lot of the football outings when coaches can’t have contact with current players.

Davison is more the buffer between Moos and Frost. When Moos has to tell Frost no on things MD will make it a bit less negative or confrontational. Davison also is really involved in the recruiting part when kids and their parents come to town. Also helps to chaperone a lot of the football outings when coaches can’t have contact with current players.

Thank you. I appreciate the explanation on that one.

My big thing is that Frost played or worked with Coaches Osborne, Parcells, Tomlin, Bill Snyder. All of them are known for disciplined football teams that execute at a high level. I think most if not all would make the team repeat plays until the Coach was satisfied...ie...correcting the mistakes on the spot...instead of just running as many plays as they could and correcting mistakes later during film study. I think this is what this team (especially with so much youth) is lacking. Try it for for the Spring and next year and I guarantee better results than we are currently seeing.

Despite Riley culture I can tell you Jurgens is one of the reasons the lockerroom was split a bit last year. Can also tell you some players are sick of the snapping issues this year. Have we had a bad snap with Matt Farniok at center who learned to snap in a few days with his brother? Honest question I really don’t know who’s snapping everytime.
I can understand that people are sick of the bad snaps this year, but why would Jurgens be the cause of locker room splits?

Either way, this is the type of thing player leadership could fix. Team leaders should "encourage" Jurgens to get better, and they should also clear up locker room whining. That shouldn't always be coming from the top down.

I can understand that people are sick of the bad snaps this year, but why would Jurgens be the cause of locker room splits?

Either way, this is the type of thing player leadership could fix. Team leaders should "encourage" Jurgens to get better, and they should also clear up locker room whining. That shouldn't always be coming from the top down.
I'm not sure either unless Matt F. believe his brother had earned that spot. I was wondering if they've considered leaving Matt F. at center and moving Jurgens to right guard.
Edit: Disregard the Jurgens move to right guard. I *** has discussed that angle.

Last edited:
Despite Riley culture I can tell you Jurgens is one of the reasons the lockerroom was split a bit last year. Can also tell you some players are sick of the snapping issues this year. Have we had a bad snap with Matt Farniok at center who learned to snap in a few days with his brother? Honest question I really don’t know who’s snapping everytime.
My recollection is that he did have at least one off target snap against ILL but clearly not in the same league as CJ.

Fixing little things can feel like whack-a-mole sometimes. You think you have something sorted out, then something else pops up. You deal with that, and the original problem comes back. It has to be frustrating for these coaches. I mean, they're not dumb. They're certainly not teaching guys to false start or to hold. I'm sure they've emphasized cleaning things up. It's kind of like the 1999(?) season when we fumbled the ball 9000 times. We tried everything to fix it, but it wouldn't go away.

The buck stops with Frost, but at some point players need to hold themselves and each other accountable. That MIGHT be the difference right now - player leadership. The next question would be, is the staff letting the players lead? Or are they hindering that, even unintentionally?
Is it possible that this is a case of the more you focus on something and draw attention to it the more you make it happen? Sometimes the brain fails to hear the "don't" part.

I think he’d be a really small guard. I think the reason Frost moved him to center was a really good one in that he’s so quick to snap and get his first step that he gives himself an advantage. I don’t think he’d be a better guard than Piper or Nourilli.
I think part of the problem is his quick feet and athleticism. His foot work is ahead of his snap causing the erratic ball placement. It’s all mental and he needs to work ball out foot placement muscle memory.

Yep. I’ve got guys on his staff I think he should probably move on from and guys I’m happy with. I’m struggling with a couple I really respect but seem to be in front of the firing squad right now.

I wanted Coach Frost as bad as anyone, told the K -State Homer's
question do you see Scott making any changes on his staff? Other question who is the hard ass on his staff I know Charlie was for Tom but it seems to me we don’t have any on our staff. That’s why we are so undisciplined in my opinion.
Just as soon as NU has funded all of his buddies retirement accounts. Then we will see a new round of new and improved friends get funded. He will still look clueless. We will still suck.

There's a lot that needs fixing. But if I were to pick one stat that shows why we are struggling, it's 3rd down conversions.

Nebraska is last in the Big Ten in converting on 3rd down. 32.3%. Nebraska is also last in the Big Ten in preventing the opponent from converting on 3rd down. 49.4%.

The next team that is struggling most in 3rd down on both sides of the ball? Michigan.

I think it's quite clear Nebraska and Michigan are struggling more than any other Big Ten schools at this point.

One more category where we are especially rotten. Punting. 14th (last) in the Big Ten in net punting. 35.4 yards. Ugh. There is no doubt we are losing the field position battle.

Last edited:

There's a lot that needs fixing. But if I were to pick one stat that shows why we are struggling, it's 3rd down conversions.

Nebraska is last in the Big Ten in converting on 3rd down. 32.3%. Nebraska is also last in the Big Ten in preventing the opponent from converting on 3rd down. 49.4%.

The next team that is struggling most in 3rd down on both sides of the ball? Michigan.

I think it's quite clear Nebraska and Michigan are struggling more than any other Big Ten schools at this point.

One more category where we are especially rotten. Punting. 14th (last) in the Big Ten in net punting. 35.4 yards. Ugh. There is no doubt we are losing the field position battle.
Where is our Aussie punter? We gave him a Scholarship Lets see what he's got :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Great OP.

I suspect that Frost thinks a lot of these details and discipline can/should come from player leadership. Senior players correcting lack of focus from younger players in practice and building a disciplined team that way. I’m not sure if that’s realistic, but it seems plausible and probably consistent with how Osborne maintained things when the juggernaut was rolling.

But its a chicken or the egg conundrum. How do you get disciplined older players to mentor the young guys. The team need captains (both official and unofficial) that hold the rest of the players accountable.

The alternative to changing coaching staffs, again, is for this staff to learn and change. I am more confident in Frost being able to absorb information and adjust from his mistakes than a coach like Riley. I think we might see a guy that is pretty introspective this offseason and finding some new teaching methods and practice The thing I am most confident in with Coach Frost is his competitive fire. I think that fire will carry him to better answers and more effective coaching.

Its been a hell of a year for all of us. Scott has been fighting a lot of fights beyond simply being able to focus on coaching. Add to that the fact he recently lost his Dad. This season has to have been more frustrating than anything imaginable for him. I bet next year with a more normal practice schedule and normalcy will be a cool salve for the psyche.

Finally, the recruiting defections are disappointing, but when all the current players can gain a year of eligibility if they desire it’s easier to manage personnel deficits than at any other time.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back