• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Just looking at the Iowa game, I was encouraged. But it's still the little things that add up that matter.

With your excellent posts over the last 25 minutes, just how do you think that highlighted last sentence is going to occur?
See to me this is like a failing marriage where things are going to change if "they could just figure things out".
Well, no because the two partners have well established behavior patterns that have led to the current problems. The two partners here are the staff and the players.
Only an outside intervention (for marriage, a counselor of some sort), for Scott either an outside mentor or the interposition of new coaching staff offering a different way of thinking would lead to "figuring it out in 2021".
Otherwise I think we will see a "major divorce", with multiple players leaving via the transfer portal and recruits backing out before the Dec 16th early signing deadline which of course would be devastating to the program :(.

GBR
I wrestle with it. I have a few ideas and then some things that need to be fixed but no idea what Frost thinks the problem is so I can't offer a solution.

For example, what's wrong with our offense? Does Wandale Robinson even have a touchdown this year? Why is it stastically worse than the 2009 Bo offense that he basically shut down? Is it Lubick and if so, do you do ANOTHER change? Is it the QB and if so, why is that happening year 3?

Another one I have is how much autonomy does Coach Austin really have? I remember back when people were so mad at Mike Riley or Mark Philipp and it was basically no decisions that they were making causing this. Is he fully responsible for who plays? Is it his fault our guys look pretty stiff and lose the line of scrimmage battle? He's also not calling the plays so is it his fault that we get away from what we do well? Conversely if we can't get a push it makes things tough on our OC and HC to call plays, so at the end of the day who is responsible?

But one of the things I would certainly change is we went from having a special teams coordinator on the staff in Dewitt to replacing him with an analyst who can have zero responsibilities on gameday. You've gotta have an on the field full time coach that has more skin in the game IMO.

Few others I have but I want to see how the season plays out.

Last edited:
I agree with you on the loss of Mills... I look back at that RB room in 2018 and there were some horses there:

Devine Ozigbo - Held turned him into a beast
Greg Bell - was leading rusher in the Mountain West before last weekend, currently at San Diego State
Mo Washington - Stud RB, awful off the field
Tre Bryant - injured but great talent, four star
Mikale Wilbon - didn't pan out but a good four star talent
Miles Jones Jr - Transferred to Tennessee, four stars
Wyatt Mazour, Brody Belt, Jaylin Bradley, Austin Rose, Austin Hemphill

We are struggling now a bit unfortunately in that RB room and I don't get it because Held is theoretically one of our best recruiters.
First recruiting class, Mo was it, he's gone.
Second class, both Jones and Bell are gone.
Not hard to see whats going on here.

First recruiting class, Mo was it, he's gone.
Second class, both Jones and Bell are gone.
Not hard to see whats going on here.
2018 was Washington, Bell, and Jones which is actually a pretty good haul, just needed to figure out how to keep Bell
2019 was Mills and Johnson which is again pretty solid
2020 you had Nixon, Morrison, and Scott

He's pulled in quite a few good players... need to keep them here, need to keep them healthy, need to keep their mind right off the field.

Our qb play has escalated, Luke being young came in and acted like a young rookie.
AM was awful, but played slightly better after his benching.

But, add in surrounding them with great players, and its frosh after frosh, save Wandale.

Does anyone actually wonder if opposing DCs arent concentrating on Wandale?

Does anyone wonder, with Mills out, our qbs are our leading rushers?

I look at iowa and see an old established staff, but even so, their upper classmen rbs arent doing most of the toting.

But then again, Goodson beat out those older players, where an established pecking order is and has been the ongoing scenario at iowa.

Success cn come early for young players if theyre talented and are surrounded by a mature culture.

We have had one part, but sorely lack the other.

But one of the things I would certainly change is we went from having a special teams coordinator on the staff in Dewitt to replacing him with an analyst who can have zero responsibilities on gameday. You've gotta have an on the field full time coach that has more skin in the game IMO.
Don't disagree with the sentiment, although it seems like our special teams has been better this year in most aspects than previously.

Also, do you know how things are currently, as far as Scott talking to/getting advice from T.O. on a regular basis? Less as it relates to X's & O's, and more because Tom has a doctorate & a lifetime of wisdom in psychology, and as I see it, our problems stem from that aspect more than a particular scheme or whatever.

Don't disagree with the sentiment, although it seems like our special teams has been better this year in most aspects than previously.

Also, do you know how things are currently, as far as Scott talking to/getting advice from T.O. on a regular basis? Less as it relates to X's & O's, and more because Tom has a doctorate & a lifetime of wisdom in psychology, and as I see it, our problems stem from that aspect more than a particular scheme or whatever.
We are actually worse in every special teams category for 2020 except for Kicking efficiency. Against Iowa we were coffin cornering punts to the 35 and pooch kicking kickoffs to the 31 while we started at the 20 every time

2019 KRE 95th
2020 KRE 96th

2019 KE 108th
2020 KE 16th

2019 PRE 22nd

2020 PRE 75th

2019 PE 48th
2020 PE 105th

He talks to TO quite a bit but TO also wants to sty out of the way. But TO is about 25 years removed now, the athlete and what they deal with has changed quite a bit.

Last edited:
There's a lot that needs fixing. But if I were to pick one stat that shows why we are struggling, it's 3rd down conversions.

Nebraska is last in the Big Ten in converting on 3rd down. 32.3%. Nebraska is also last in the Big Ten in preventing the opponent from converting on 3rd down. 49.4%.

The next team that is struggling most in 3rd down on both sides of the ball? Michigan.

I think it's quite clear Nebraska and Michigan are struggling more than any other Big Ten schools at this point.

One more category where we are especially rotten. Punting. 14th (last) in the Big Ten in net punting. 35.4 yards. Ugh. There is no doubt we are losing the field position battle.

This is spot on. During the IA game, on third down defense, I kept saying "get off the field, get off the field", and we couldn't. Whatever we are doing on 3rd down defense has to change. I noticed we rarely pressured the QB. The 4 man rush just couldn't get there. IMO, we're still missing that difference maker D-end that can be the impact player we see at other programs. If we get off the field on half of those 3rd downs, especially the 3rd and longs, it's a whole different ball game.

We are actually worse in every special teams category for 2020 except for Kicking efficiency. Against Iowa we were coffin cornering punts to the 35 and pooch kicking kickoffs to the 31 while we started at the 20 every time

2019 KRE 95th
2020 KRE 96th

2019 KE 108th
2020 KE 16th

2019 PRE 22nd

2020 PRE 75th

2019 PE 48th
2020 PE 105th
Punting team was definitely the exception in my mind. Felt like Przystup was a stopgap, so I gave the personnel aspect more weight there than the coaching. The coverage teams have looked better just by my eye-test, fair enough if the stats don't back it up.
But TO is about 25 years removed now
How dare you make me feel so old! :Mad:

But yeah, I know TO doesn't impose unless asked, so it'd be incumbent on Scott to actively request guidance. I'm not so much meaning in the day to day application of things - which like you said changes with time - as the underlying human psychology, which is pretty constant. Just seems like there are basic trust/relational issues that a lot of this keeps coming back to.

This is spot on. During the IA game, on third down defense, I kept saying "get off the field, get off the field", and we couldn't. Whatever we are doing on 3rd down defense has to change. I noticed we rarely pressured the QB. The 4 man rush just couldn't get there. IMO, we're still missing that difference maker D-end that can be the impact player we see at other programs. If we get off the field on half of those 3rd downs, especially the 3rd and longs, it's a whole different ball game.

Iowa was 4-14 on third down, so for the most part, the defense did their job.

Good point, it was better this week. For the year we've given up 49.3% of third downs. Let's hope the IA game is the beginning of getting better.

There's good and bad with that stat. The good is the defense did a great job limiting the runs on 1st and 2nd down, so there were a lot of obvious passing situations on third down. The bad is Iowa's qb sucks, and what would those numbers look like with a better qb back there. But baby steps.

Punting team was definitely the exception in my mind. Felt like Przystup was a stopgap, so I gave the personnel aspect more weight there than the coaching. The coverage teams have looked better just by my eye-test, fair enough if the stats don't back it up.

How dare you make me feel so old! :Mad:

But yeah, I know TO doesn't impose unless asked, so it'd be incumbent on Scott to actively request guidance. I'm not so much meaning in the day to day application of things - which like you said changes with time - as the underlying human psychology, which is pretty constant. Just seems like there are basic trust/relational issues that a lot of this keeps coming back to.
Probably not fair to judge our special teams just on stats when our starting punter is out but what I saw against Iowa was awful.

I think Frost isn’t afraid to reach out. Just not sure what advice they can give him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back