• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Illinois @ Nebraska Game Thread (11/21/20)

First Half thoughts.

An absolute stinko performance.

Nebraska came out drunk, stoned, scarred, asleep, bored . . . whatever. One of the worst perfomances ever in a half of football from start to finish.

Who are we playing? Ohio State? Alabama? Clemson?

No, friggin’ Illinois.

First play of the game, somnambulant McCaffrey makes the mind boggling decision to throw a pass two yards upfield. But the refs who were as sound asleep as Nebraska was, ruled it a fumble.

Then . . . our coaches must of been playing Game Boy on the sidelines and in the booth and don’t challenge.

Then, we get an illegal substitution penalty. Still no challenge.

Then we tackle the ball carrier who is obviously down, he fumbles forward and one single Illinois player out hustles four or five players for the ball. Illinois gains 6-8 yards on the play after the fumble. Refs and our coaches still sound asleep.

We can’t stop anybody on third down. Defensively, players look lost and disinterested. Disgraceful performance and total lack of focus and effort. Illinois keeps running the same 3 plays over and over again, and we are totally baffled by it. I could go on with some analysis with some specific lack of effort examples—but what’s the point.

Speaking of lack of effort, what was Bootle doing on their first TD pass—reading the WR’s number? He just stood there and let him make the catch. Then it is like, “Oh I forgot, there is a football game going on.” Then he tries to keep tackling the guy well after the play.

Two times Illinois has fumbled into a horde of blackshirts. Two times, one Illinois player outhustles everyone to the ball.

Hopefully there are no urine tests in the locker room. If so, Cam Jurgens will have tell the nurses that he can’t comply, he left all of his on the football field.

On fourth and four, he high snaps McCaffery and kills the play.

Just a note to the announcers, the interception was a fourth down play. McCaffery actually gained four yards by throwing the INT instead of throwing it away. Obviously, the announcers are as sound asleep as everyone else.

But Nervous Jurgens isn’t done. A stupid hold takes points off the board Then yet another bad snap right before halftime.

I guess our new culture is choking players never come out, no matter what.

Alante Brown with a bad drop on third down.

We got a great punt return . . . you guessed it, a push in the back.

McCaffrey either over their heads or wide and behind passing. But that’s okay, most of his throws are late too.

Scott Frost proving to the world how smart he is. Scott up middle working. Let’s start running him wide. Gotta prove that we can run any play at any time, no matter how silly.

Third down . . . QB draw. Third and 8 . . . QB draw. Third and 2 . . . QB draw. Third and 12 . . . QB draw. How do the other DC’s always seem to know what’s coming?

Well, sad thing is this game is still winnable. Illinois gets ball first in second half. After our usual halftime nappy-time, we will probably find ourselves quickly behind 35-10.

I think it is Martinez time.

What is that chip we are playing with on our shoulders?

What a joke.
After the first half last week, we played conservative, got tense and then carried that play onto this game. The meltdowns are contagious

Look at the lack of discipline, penalties, and lack of execution all over the field. The coaches cannot produce effort from players, they can coach them up, teach them, and punish them, that's it. Coaches aren't responsible for holding, or false starts, targeting, PI, or defensive holding. Poor effort and being an inferior athlete means you cannot man up and play against the player across from you. That is on recruiting, or more importantly the lack of, and the players. Saturday is all on the players, coaches can make adjustments and changes, without effort it is all for nothing.

3 years in and 90% SF players, yep all on SF and his staff. If there is a lack of effort then that is on the coaches as well. Trying to put this on the few left over MR players is hilarious.

C

Not over IF

we can hit simple mid field passes

Defense gets stops.

I think the offense will wake up. But the defense is just playing really poorly

This is not an LM thing, nor an AM thing. It's a SF thing.

Maybe, partly but it is not all on him. You don't coach UCF to being undefeated and lack coaching skill.

A reliable snap would probably do wonders. Indid see LM run into the RB again this game. There are things that are not really explainable that Nebraska seems to do. Maybe limited practices this year but not sure how I understand how Nebraska has more than their fair share of these issues. That is coaching as is running the ball wide so much when it doesn't work and the excess amount of QB Draws. You can only go to well so often.

HuskerinOkieLand was spot on.

Two experienced D-backs are right on their man and don't turn to look for the ball. How does that happen? Luke is having a bad day; I expect AM to appear in the second half. We've been showing everyone we won't throw deep and relying too much on QB runs.

This performance is atrocious......the coaching is as bad as the performance. I have been bashing the players, because they are playing this game. However, this coaching staff hasn't developed players, at freaking all. LM looks like AM because of the coaching, practice and preparation, or the lack thereof from this supposedly all-star staff. The fact that we cannot make adjustments in game is depressing, or pay close enough attention to see that the game plan is NOT FREAKING WORKING.

Coaches need to either step up or be removed. Some accountability needs to be happen sooner than later.

Notes from Halftime of Nebraska-Illinois Game:
  • True freshman running back Marvin Scott made his first career start in today’s game. Scott carried the ball eight times for 22 yards in the first half.
  • Place-kicker Connor Culp connected on a 28-yard field goal in the second quarter and has made four consecutive field goals and 7-of-8 this season.
  • Senior linebacker Will Honas had an 8-yard sack in the second quarter for his team-leading third sack of the 2020 season.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back