• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Nebraska @ Ohio State Game Thread (10/24/20)

Great teams overcome their own mistakes, and take advantage of miscues whether that be by the other team, or refs. We have to play a perfect game to win against great teams. And other than the last 5 minutes of the 1st half, we did what we had to do.

But the last five minutes demonstrated a great example of just how quick the game can get away from you....

Reality is, only a small handful of teams have room for error against OSU.

If you'd told me before the game started we'd only be down 10 at half, I'd say "hot damn!" ... so I'll try to forget about how the half ended. ;)

I think we'll know fairly quickly after half if we're going to hang tough for four quarters or not.

Halftime thoughts:

Nebraska trading blows with Ohio State. Offensively, keeping OSU off balance. Defensively defending the run and short yardage situations pretty well. They force OSU to go on fourth down deep in their own territory. A gamble that probably wasn't warranted given the situation but shows OSU feels a sense of urgency.

No pass rush and their QB has yardage anywhere he wants it. That is going to be where OSU pulls away in the second half.

For Nebraska, almost perfect marks for the half except for an old bugaboo which is just unbelievable we keep doing it.

Get your bleeping bleep on the field after a kickoff!

Why do we continue to have this monumental problem?

A delay of game after a kickoff is a lack of focus. And inexcusable.

So, we have the moronic penalty . . . again. Yet again. And what follows . . . three consecutive disastrous plays.

Lack of focus.

Complete lack of focus.

You cannot take plays off.

Don't know why coaching staff after coaching staff struggles to teach players to understand this.

That last touchdown was totally on the offense although a couple of very questionable calls didn't help the defense either.

So after being gifted a touchdown at the end of the half, the Buckeyes will be fitting their footware with roller skates in the locker room to skate over Nebraska in the second half.

How will our players respond?

Simple really, stop the penalties and the game is very close. I think that first illegal motion cost us at least a very good drive add that to the facemask call on the punt return and the pass INT(BOGUS) call and it really changes the game

We need a break to go our way to capture some momentum. Forcing a turnover would be ideal, but anything going against the Buckeyes would be ok.

And Fields is generally way too comfortable. If we're not going to bring pressure, we absolutely must cover better. You can't let any QB, let alone a Heisman candidate, just stand back there and throw to wide open receivers. Either start blitzing, or tighten up the coverage.

It looks like our biggest challenge might be overcoming bad officiating. Zebras need to clean up their game in the 2nd half.

Quick takes for me:

1) Adrian looks much more decisive running the ball than last year
2) I like the idea of Martinez and Mccaffrey in the backfield at the same time
3) OL has shown flashes, and then turns around and gets owned. They need to be more consistent.
4) The Blackshirts are helpless to stop an effective pass game, but look ok vs the run
5) Big 10 officiating still SUCKS.
6) The Buckeyes might be the best team in the nation, it's encouraging that we're hanging with them

Last edited:

Hard to Explain:
The delay of game,
Giving so much cushion by corners and safety
Play selection the last two series

Good stuff
Converting on 3rd down on several drives in first half
No turnovers- thats big.
Long scoring drives

Stop the offensive penalties....clean those up....eliminate a couple horrendous calls by the ref and it’s anyone’s guess...

Let’s see how we do 2nd half...

Last edited:

1F55AE45-2FB4-4E6D-90E2-98B8C32C6481.jpeg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back