• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My initial thoughts on us playing

I just heard a reporter say that all the players will be able to treat this season as a red shirt season. Is that the case? Does this mean that next season all of the seniors of this year will still be eligible if they had not previously used a red shirt? What will this do to size of squads permitted, etc.?

Even with a nine game season? That seems strange.

I also think this is good news for winter sports particularly basketball ... football will push its way through this with schools doing everything they can to make it happen ... but if football can start up in October ... basketball should be able to do so as well with time still on its side.

I just heard a reporter say that all the players will be able to treat this season as a red shirt season. Is that the case? Does this mean that next season all of the seniors of this year will still be eligible if they had not previously used a red shirt? What will this do to size of squads permitted, etc.?

Even with a nine game season? That seems strange.

I believe the NCAA has said that this year does not count against eligibility. So it's a free for all. No idea how they plan to deal with roster's going forward.

All I know is . . . the last thing this team needed was to sit and not practice/play. Needs the work too badly. So hopefully we get in all the games, but even getting a handful played and a bunch of practices in the books will be beneficial for the future. And it all comes with pretty much no win/loss pressure. If you don't win many, it will just be chalked up to COVID throwing a wrench in the works.

There is no flu only Covid.;)
1600279604505.png

All I know is . . . the last thing this team needed was to sit and not practice/play. Needs the work too badly. So hopefully we get in all the games, but even getting a handful played and a bunch of practices in the books will be beneficial for the future. And it all comes with pretty much no win/loss pressure. If you don't win many, it will just be chalked up to COVID throwing a wrench in the works.
Don't kid yourself, if NU has another sub .500 season we'll look silly. We need to make a statement on the field this year to go with the large one we made off the field.

Flu is low in Australia which is apparently what we gauge it on? Still worried that flu can cause some positive Covid tests, though I have no clue if that’s accurate.

It’s inaccurate. PCR tests will be highly specific for covid or FluA or FluB. Many, if not a majority, of testing labs will likely be pivoting to a new multiplex PCR test for all three very soon. Some already approved (CDC, Roche recently approved), more to come. Instead of 3 C-19 targets in the test, you have one for covid, one for fluA, and one for FluB in the kit-one sample, three answers.

Don't kid yourself, if NU has another sub .500 season we'll look silly. We need to make a statement on the field this year to go with the large one we made off the field.
I think Ohio State will look silly if they underachieve, but no one connected with Nebraska made any claims that they were pushing for the season because they had such a good team this year and didn't want to waste it.

Just going to point out a few things here that i've said in various places...

-It is extremely clear that the B1G jumped the gun canceling (though they try to say delay) the season and moving it to spring (which is actually winter). It put a lot of our teams in a spot that we are behind, and it was poor leadership.

-When Kevin Warren was asked by an Ohio State columnist "why was your communication so poor with the coaches and teams?" his response was "well our goal is to be better today than we were yesterday and better tomorrow than we are today." I will be using that when called out in the future without actually addressing the question.

-I don't think the B1G is trying to make this fail, but their inability to see that we are playing catch-up with the NFL, Big12, ACC, and SEC and their comments about us being "leaders" while just trying to get to playing like other places is very troubling to me. We need to understand there are blueprints out there of this working. The 21 days and other restrictions concern me.

-That said, I have some intel that the way we flipped the majority "no play" vote (if the vote happened) to a unanimous "we play" vote is by giving these extremely harsh restrictions. So some football is better than no football. But what's going to happen when Nebraska only gets in 5 games because they did a great job with Covid restrictions but Rutgers and Maryland had an outbreak?

-While I was bullish on Nebraska looking better in 2020 before Covid, I did think that our schedule may not have reflected how much better we got (6-6 or 7-5, schedule was real tough). Covid has made me more optimistic. Our coaching and strength staff have been doing a much better job than all the other teams in our conference, we have been keeping our head down and working hard. We are in front of most everyone else. If there isn't a decided talent gap like Ohio State, I think we took the next step to beat a team like Iowa this year.

-However I still am not optimistic this entire year happens with us making an October 24th start date, not much wiggle room with no byes.

Sorry for another thread about the same thing, but today is a big day

Your point on our coaching staff keeping our head down and working hard is key. Any insight on which teams took their foot of the gas?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back