• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

My initial thoughts on us playing

Just going to point out a few things here that i've said in various places...

-It is extremely clear that the B1G jumped the gun canceling (though they try to say delay) the season and moving it to spring (which is actually winter). It put a lot of our teams in a spot that we are behind, and it was poor leadership.

-When Kevin Warren was asked by an Ohio State columnist "why was your communication so poor with the coaches and teams?" his response was "well our goal is to be better today than we were yesterday and better tomorrow than we are today." I will be using that when called out in the future without actually addressing the question.

-I don't think the B1G is trying to make this fail, but their inability to see that we are playing catch-up with the NFL, Big12, ACC, and SEC and their comments about us being "leaders" while just trying to get to playing like other places is very troubling to me. We need to understand there are blueprints out there of this working. The 21 days and other restrictions concern me.

-That said, I have some intel that the way we flipped the majority "no play" vote (if the vote happened) to a unanimous "we play" vote is by giving these extremely harsh restrictions. So some football is better than no football. But what's going to happen when Nebraska only gets in 5 games because they did a great job with Covid restrictions but Rutgers and Maryland had an outbreak?

-While I was bullish on Nebraska looking better in 2020 before Covid, I did think that our schedule may not have reflected how much better we got (6-6 or 7-5, schedule was real tough). Covid has made me more optimistic. Our coaching and strength staff have been doing a much better job than all the other teams in our conference, we have been keeping our head down and working hard. We are in front of most everyone else. If there isn't a decided talent gap like Ohio State, I think we took the next step to beat a team like Iowa this year.

-However I still am not optimistic this entire year happens with us making an October 24th start date, not much wiggle room with no byes.

Sorry for another thread about the same thing, but today is a big day

It is going to be a logistical nightmare! Especially when flu season hits along with covid.

That would have been the case no matter what. We would always have been at risk of not playing or postponing games. This doesn't change that. The tests will eliminate the flu or not. Covid is what they are worried about and its just as contagious now as it will be in Oct.

-It is extremely clear that the B1G jumped the gun canceling (though they try to say delay) the season and moving it to spring (which is actually winter). It put a lot of our teams in a spot that we are behind, and it was poor leadership.

-When Kevin Warren was asked by an Ohio State columnist "why was your communication so poor with the coaches and teams?" his response was "well our goal is to be better today than we were yesterday and better tomorrow than we are today." I will be using that when called out in the future without actually addressing the question.

-I don't think the B1G is trying to make this fail, but their inability to see that we are playing catch-up with the NFL, Big12, ACC, and SEC and their comments about us being "leaders" while just trying to get to playing like other places is very troubling to me. We need to understand there are blueprints out there of this working. The 21 days and other restrictions concern me.

-That said, I have some intel that the way we flipped the majority "no play" vote (if the vote happened) to a unanimous "we play" vote is by giving these extremely harsh restrictions. So some football is better than no football. But what's going to happen when Nebraska only gets in 5 games because they did a great job with Covid restrictions but Rutgers and Maryland had an outbreak?

-While I was bullish on Nebraska looking better in 2020 before Covid, I did think that our schedule may not have reflected how much better we got (6-6 or 7-5, schedule was real tough). Covid has made me more optimistic. Our coaching and strength staff have been doing a much better job than all the other teams in our conference, we have been keeping our head down and working hard. We are in front of most everyone else. If there isn't a decided talent gap like Ohio State, I think we took the next step to beat a team like Iowa this year.

-However I still am not optimistic this entire year happens with us making an October 24th start date, not much wiggle room with no byes.

Your thoughts are always appreciated! Looking forward to your thoughts on actual football as well....can't believe we can talk football again!

That would have been the case no matter what. We would always have been at risk of not playing or postponing games. This doesn't change that. The tests will eliminate the flu or not. Covid is what they are worried about and its just as contagious now as it will be in Oct.
It does change how many games are played. The prior schedule allowed for bye weeks/adjustments to be made. This one removes 1/3 of your games with a few players testing positive. That's huge.

The only thing I disagree with you on is the "trying to make this fail" line. I think the restrictions from places like Rutgers (Michigan likely as well) they want this to fail. They want to be able to say "See, we were right the first time. Now, since you didn't listen to us the fall is canceled AND we're not going to play in the winter either (not that they ever were)"

The only thing I disagree with you on is the "trying to make this fail" line. I think the restrictions from places like Rutgers (Michigan likely as well) they want this to fail. They want to be able to say "See, we were right the first time. Now, since you didn't listen to us the fall is canceled AND we're not going to play in the winter either (not that they ever were)"
I get that. I think that’s a possibility. I think we are trying to play but just don’t want to go with underlying motives on a positive day lol.

It does change how many games are played. The prior schedule allowed for bye weeks/adjustments to be made. This one removes 1/3 of your games with a few players testing positive. That's huge.

I am more disappointed that we lost games we very likely would have won. The non-conference games this year were HUGE. Now few are even playing them. That hurts but I'd rather take a beating in the conference than watch other teams play and stay home. This year was screwed a long time ago. Months ago unfortunately.

Flu is low in Australia which is apparently what we gauge it on? Still worried that flu can cause some positive Covid tests, though I have no clue if that’s accurate.

It's not just Australia. Brazil, Chile, South Africa. Most of the things folks are supposed to be doing for KEVIN-19 also help stop the spread of Influenza. Of course, the country is split on a lot of those things, so we may not see the same results as they did south of the equator. It was just an interesting article I read the other day.

"Between the start of flu season and the United States' usual cold weather pushing everyone inside, CDC Director Robert Redfield has said "the fall and winter of 2020 and 2021 are going to be probably one of the most difficult times that we've experienced in American public health."

But in the Southern Hemisphere—where winter began to descend nearly two months ago—the annual influx of flu and respiratory virus patients "never came," the Wall Street Journal's David Luhnow and Alice Uribe report."

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back