• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

JD Speilman Is Transfering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough questions since I would be building my team and then you leave out some guys with heavy production:

Outside WR - Mo Purify
Outside WR - Stanley Morgan Jr
Slot - JD Spielman
TE - Cethan Carter

Outside WR - Brandon Reilly (need someone to take the top off the defense with what I would do offensively)
Outside WR - Quincy Enunwa or Nate Swift
Slot - Jordan Westerkamp (you could talk me into DPE here)
TE - Kyler Reed

Wandale Robinson will overtake Spielman in a couple years on this list for me.
I know it wasn't part of the question, but I was always a Wilson Thomas fan and always wondered what he would have done playing in an offense that threw the ball more.

LOL, I missed the 25 years thing, but thinking of Fryar probably makes me feel old when I realize that was more than 25 years ago now!
There's a lot of dudes that it gets tough due to the offenses. For example, Ameer Abdullah is a beast in todays game, but is he beating out Ahman Green or Lawrence Phillips for a spot on the all-time team? Probably depends what era. There's very few guys that could just insert themselves no matter what year they are playing so then it gets into so much subjectivity.

Ya, those Freshman All-Americans with three years straight of all-conference accolades that just luck into talent-depleted teams so they would end up the #1 WR of all time at their school are the worst. Calvin Johnson at Georgia Tech really lucked into playing for a running squad with a talentless WR room.

His draft stock means nothing to me. Stanley Morgan and Devine Ozigbo didn't get drafted and we would have killed to have them in 2019.

Staying off the "is JD overrated" topic, but now we are considering DO one of the greatest RBs at NU?? Just because he had a good year on a not so good team doesn't mean he was an all time great. Whether he was drafted or not, and he wasn't for a reason, doesn't mean NU wouldn't have liked to have him back, but it does preclude us from having a discussion anywhere close to "greatest" at NU.

Staying off the "is JD overrated" topic, but now we are considering DO one of the greatest RBs at NU?? Just because he had a good year on a not so good team doesn't mean he was an all time great. Whether he was drafted or not, and he wasn't for a reason, doesn't mean NU wouldn't have liked to have him back, but it does preclude us from having a discussion anywhere close to "greatest" at NU.
Are you considering Ozigbo one of the greatest RBs at NU? That's an awful take as well. I'd take that one back if I were you.

He asked me about the past 25 years (which is good for me since I would struggle to have to start figuring out Irving Fryar and Johnny Rodgers places on here). Same reasoning I didn't do Johnny Mitchell, but I thought about Matt Herian, his injury just kept him off the list for me. Would have no problem if someone had him as their top TE.

By the way, lol'ing at the screen name. Well done.
Haha, glad someone appreciates it.

Also now feeling depressed that Johnny Mitchell was over 25 years ago...

Are you considering Ozigbo one of the greatest RBs at NU? That's an awful take as well. I'd take that one back if I were you.
I’m just happy someone else has an awful take. Ozigbo was good for that last half of the season. Definitely not an all time great.

Tough questions since I would be building my team and then you leave out some guys with heavy production:

Outside WR - Mo Purify
Outside WR - Stanley Morgan Jr
Slot - JD Spielman
TE - Cethan Carter

Outside WR - Brandon Reilly (need someone to take the top off the defense with what I would do offensively)
Outside WR - Quincy Enunwa or Nate Swift
Slot - Jordan Westerkamp (you could talk me into DPE here)
TE - Kyler Reed

Wandale Robinson will overtake Spielman in a couple years on this list for me.

Two guys I wish were around in this era that I think would have been awesome were Jon Bostic and Matt Herian.

Herian had his injury issues, but when he was healthy he was an offensive threat. They'd look real good in this offense.

YOU are the one who brought up DO in a thread defending JD as an all-time great. You used DO as an example that not getting drafted to the NFL wouldn't indicate JD wasn't great. That is an absurd argument to state that DO wasn't drafted either so......? I was pointing out how off base you were. Good gosh, you really can spot when something doesn't make sense in someone else's posts.

I have nothing to take back, as i never stated he was. In fact, i stated the opposite.

YOU are the one who brought up DO in a thread defending JD as an all-time great. You used DO as an example that not getting drafted to the NFL wouldn't indicate JD wasn't great. That is an absurd argument to state that DO wasn't drafted either so......? I was pointing out how off base you were. Good gosh, you really can spot when something doesn't make sense in someone else's posts.

I have nothing to take back, as i never stated he was. In fact, i stated the opposite.
This whole thread has been absurd

If you can let me know where I stated JD or DO was an all-time great, i'd really appreciate it. Sometimes people are a little slower in the comprehension so i'll go over how Ozigbo got brought up for you one more time, try pausing between words to help you digest what is being said:

JD was brought up as being "overrated" or not a big loss and one of the reasons was due to where he would be drafted (not an argument made by me). I brought up Morgan and Ozigbo as two players that didn't get drafted but we would have loved to have them in 2019 and they have been mentioned multiple times throughout this past season how great it would have been to still have them around, so draft stock means nothing at all in terms of how good someone is at Nebraska and how meaningful they are to the team. If JD doesn't come back for 2020, we will miss him just like we missed Morgan and Ozigbo.

If you got "Ozigbo is an all-time great” from that it may be time to go back to coloring books.

Last edited:

If you can let me know where I stated JD or DO was an all-time great, i'd really appreciate it. Sometimes people are a little slower in the comprehension so i'll go over how Ozigbo got brought up for you one more time, try pausing between words to help you digest what is being said:

JD was brought up as being "overrated" or not a big loss and one of the reasons was due to where he would be drafted (not an argument made by me). I brought up Morgan and Ozigbo as two players that didn't get drafted but we would have loved to have them in 2019 and they have been mentioned multiple times how great it would have been to still have them around, so draft stock means nothing at all in terms of how good someone is at Nebraska and how meaningful they are to the team. If JD doesn't come back for 2020, we will miss him just like we missed Morgan and Ozigbo.

If you got "Ozigbo is an all-time great from that" it may be time to go back to coloring books.

The personal attacks are noted. IF you read the 15 pages of this thread, a great number of posts talk about JD being an all-time great, his place in Husker history, etc. as defense for him not being over rated. You were in effect defending his status as a Husker in history and stating that not being drafted didn't mean that was untrue. You could have picked Tommy Frazier, but you chose two bad examples. I gave a pass to Stanley Morgan's mention, but DO having one good season and using him as a defense of anything regarding quality of play or player is simply an inappropriate comparison.

The personal attacks are noted. IF you read the 15 pages of this thread, a great number of posts talk about JD being an all-time great, his place in Husker history, etc. as defense for him not being over rated. You were in effect defending his status as a Husker in history and stating that not being drafted didn't mean that was untrue. You could have picked Tommy Frazier, but you chose two bad examples. I gave a pass to Stanley Morgan's mention, but DO having one good season and using him as a defense of anything regarding quality of play or player is simply an inappropriate comparison.
You talking about what others have said in this 15 pages, then claiming I was the one that said it is an interesting tactic.

Devine Ozigbo was voted an all-conference performer by the coaches and the media in 2018. No issue using him as someone we wish we would have had another year with. Is that what you are disagreeing with? Because that was my point. Arguing anything else is you moving the goalposts.
Goal Post Moving GIF - GoalPost Moving - Discover & Share GIFs

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back