• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bo Pelini SI story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottom Line Up Front ... He was an embarrassment to this University and I for one will be hoping his LSU defense gets torched this year and we see him lose his mind again on the sidelines so people can discuss what a nut job he was and why we were right to fire him.
I'm way more embarrassed by the last 5 years of football then I was of Pelini....

absolutely. Had that very discussion with one of his payers a couple of days ago before this article came out. Said he still texts him once in a while and he has never seen a coach at any level that players loved more. Its the fans who don't get it. Bo had the players backs but.......unfortunately the fans didn't have BO's back even after the truth came out about our Chancellor and Athletic Director doing everything to undermine him. I see posters on here going lunatic over a 10th of a fraction of what Bo had to go through. And they act like they are human with no fault.
There's some truth to that, but there's another side to that story. Some players loved him for his passion. Some kids grow up being abused and still love their abusers to a fault.

I wonder how many recruits we lost because of Bo's "image". I have a nephew who ended up playing for Illinois State. His dad wouldn't even consider visiting Nebraska, solely because of Bo's antics (ironic, because he would lose his cool even more than BP when things didn't go his way). Incidentally, the whole family was at Youngstown when Bo single-handedly lost the game with consecutive PFs. Bo went from being the sideshow to a laughingstock.

Last edited:
Then you were not alive in the 60's like I was and saw first hand on the sidelines (I was there for the 1970's K State game) the Bob Father do the same thing. He was demanding excellence. Was even worse for the Colorado game after the loss to K State in 1967. Players said that the week of practice before CU was worst of the Devaney era.

Bo could not hold a candle to the Bob Father when it came to screaming at players who were not performing.
Well, I disagree. Yes, Bob D was famous for losing his temper. He was also famous for joking around with the same guys moments later. He never let it get personal. Whereas with Bo, the volcano just continued to get more out of control.

I have no problem with a coach screaming at players who are slacking. My HS coach grabbed me by the facemask once, and that's all it took to get me straightened out. I respected him for it. Devaney's players didn't have a problem with his temper, because they knew he was right. Bo, on the other hand, just got out of control. And yes, he was warned about it by TO.

(Having said all that, he still got a raw deal from HP and SE.)

I hope he does well and gets another shot.

Don't want another protracted conversation about why he rubbed people raw, but I liked the guy. He needed to learn some things about recruiting and staff management, but he could coach and I don't really mind some fire.
I agree. I was pro-Bo until he had the off-site meeting with the team following his dismissal. He was totally unprofessional and displayed a fit of rage IMO.
Having said that, I hope he is successful and can learn even more from Ed Orgeron, as he has apparently made several personal adjustments since his time as HC at MS State. I do wish Bo success!

After initially being thrilled with HCBP, I grew tired of his ranting and raving by about 2012.
Perhaps if DONU had hired HCSF directly from Oregon in 2015 instead of forcing us into the gutter with HCMR, the football program wouldn't have been in such a sorry state of disrepair by 2017.

Regardless, I've always felt that the ideal coaching position for Pelini would be a DC in the NFL. The players are smarter and more experienced and he could have an entire season and offseason with them to install his schemes.
Frost wouldn’t have come to work for the tools in charge here in 2015. He knew what was going on. No chance of it.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back