• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bo Pelini SI story

Status
Not open for further replies.

After initially being thrilled with HCBP, I grew tired of his ranting and raving by about 2012.
Perhaps if DONU had hired HCSF directly from Oregon in 2015 instead of forcing us into the gutter with HCMR, the football program wouldn't have been in such a sorry state of disrepair by 2017.

Regardless, I've always felt that the ideal coaching position for Pelini would be a DC in the NFL. The players are smarter and more experienced and he could have an entire season and offseason with them to install his schemes.

You guys would have never tolerated the Bob Father in his day.

He makes Bo look like and alter boy :).

And if that had happened there would never have been Husker Football that we know and love, so I personally like and appreciate Bo. Think he got little or no support from the Administration and it drove him off the deep end.

And wouldn't nine straight 9 win or better seasons be a nice thing instead of the last three to five years.............

GBR

He will be a great DC for LSU. For a while, then he'll get his shot again. Hope he learned a few things at NU and YSU.

As to the 40 page 'Bo' thread.....this really is the place, since it's a thread about......well.....'Bo'.

GBR!
OK, you got me... Since it's a thread about Bo...

I do think he's a good guy (with a temper), and a good coach, at least up to the level of a coordinator. It's a little disturbing that, per the article, he doesn't think his anger issues are a problem. I think it was THE problem that kept him from winning championships at NU. As my Dad used to say, "if you can keep your head when everybody around is losing theirs, you'll be a head taller than everyone else." Bo always seemed to keep it under control until the most critical moment, then he would blow a head gasket. The players would be needing a steady rock to look to in those critical moments, and he'd be flying off the handle. Totally the opposite of TO, or even BD. Devaney had a temper, but he never let it get personal. And his manner with the media was such that he could get by with a lot more.

I do wish the best for Bo, wherever his path leads. And I hope he's able to find that self-introspection that's necessary for improvement.

You guys would have never tolerated the Bob Father in his day.

He makes Bo look like and alter boy :).

And if that had happened there would never have been Husker Football that we know and love, so I personally like and appreciate Bo. Think he got little or no support from the Administration and it drove him off the deep end.

And wouldn't nine straight 9 win or better seasons be a nice thing instead of the last three to five years.............

GBR
One problem is, Bo has an "angry resting face", while Devaney was basically a big Irish teddy bear.

"I Have A Dream"

After 2020 season, SF will be canned. 3 strikes and out. Next Nebraska HC hire, LSU defensive coordinator ...... I forgot his name. ;)

I do think he's a good guy (with a temper), and a good coach, at least up to the level of a coordinator. It's a little disturbing that, per the article, he doesn't think his anger issues are a problem. I think it was THE problem that kept him from winning championships at NU. As my Dad used to say, "if you can keep your head when everybody around is losing theirs, you'll be a head taller than everyone else." Bo always seemed to keep it under control until the most critical moment, then he would blow a head gasket. The players would be needing a steady rock to look to in those critical moments, and he'd be flying off the handle. Totally the opposite of TO, or even BD. Devaney had a temper, but he never let it get personal. And his manner with the media was such that he could get by with a lot more.

I do wish the best for Bo, wherever his path leads. And I hope he's able to find that self-introspection that's necessary for improvement.
Did you read the article?

I liked Bo but thought the head coaching stage at Nebraska was a little too big for him. Tough to argue that his temper tantrums didn't do him any favors. If you have a record like Saban's you can get away with being a bit salty. Not so much when you're not in (or at least hanging around) the top 10 at the end of the year. I think a DC position is about his ceiling. The spotlight won't shine as brightly on him and that should be a good fit.

Yep. He would implode and the players would follow. It was like clockwork. Many times in baseball a head coach goes nuts, gets ejected, and the team rallies. For whatever reason, that rarely happens in football when its the head coach going nuts.

I wish him the best. I think he is a good coach, particularly as a DC, and I don't think anyone can argue about his sincere care for his players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back