• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers Add Two New Defensive Analysts

Yes it is a fact the defense improved some from 2018 to 2019. Defense was awful in 2018 and they improved to bad in 2019. Yes they made plays at times but hardly ever got a stop when game was on the line. Yes I also agree that the offense didn't help the defense much. Yes we made a play at end of Illinois game, the powerhouse they are! The games that really come to mind are Indiana, Colorado. Any kind of a stop and we win. Another two powerhouse teams! Northwestern and Maryland were just awful! We play Iowa fairly tough but when we needed stop we allowed them to move down the field for winning field goal. Another powerhouse team. Ohio State and Minnesota were just so much better than us it is had to blame defense. Decent defense finishes in top 25 in most catergories

So you admit it improved from the prior year. So why on Earth would Chinander be on the hot seat?

Fan, I made your observation earlier in the year and took some heat. Goes with the territory. I do think you have made some very accurate observations. GBR

Why complain about Chinander? He is Frosts DC, and as such, has Frost's vote of confidence.

He isn't a world beater, but he's done alright with what he has to work with. Look at the NFL draft for DONU the last few years. We haven't the talent we think we have.

His defense improved. Hopefully cont's that trend.

Defense will continue to look more and more like they want, as well. A lot was made about the turnover of players, but we are still in process of having an entire roster in the image they want. Looking at how consistently they target certain skills and body types at each position gives me hope for future improvement. Speed at the inside lb positions, length at OLB. Guys who are bigger than most at the position and can hit in the secondary.

in 2 years this defense will actually have the roster they want and the experience to play the schemes. Can't wait!

Defense will continue to look more and more like they want, as well. A lot was made about the turnover of players, but we are still in process of having an entire roster in the image they want. Looking at how consistently they target certain skills and body types at each position gives me hope for future improvement. Speed at the inside lb positions, length at OLB. Guys who are bigger than most at the position and can hit in the secondary.

in 2 years this defense will actually have the roster they want and the experience to play the schemes. Can't wait!
Keep putting square pegs in round holes, they eventually get rounded off enough to fit!!

Last edited:
Two things:
1. yes the defense was "better" than the year before. But who amongst us did not get tired of seeing a LB on third and long get beat by a TE or RB for a first down :(.
It cost us the Purdue and Iowa games, and perhaps the Indiana game.
2. More weapons (defensive analysts) has to be a good thing for DONU.
We are never going to have the athletes that OSU or PSU has so we need to learn to do what Dr. Tom did so well and that is out scheme people and steal some wins from them :).
Whether those schemes come from the full time staff or the analysts is immaterial, we just need ideas that put our kids in position to win with the skills they have.

GBR

Yes it is a fact the defense improved some from 2018 to 2019. Defense was awful in 2018 and they improved to bad in 2019. Yes they made plays at times but hardly ever got a stop when game was on the line. Yes I also agree that the offense didn't help the defense much. Yes we made a play at end of Illinois game, the powerhouse they are! The games that really come to mind are Indiana, Colorado. Any kind of a stop and we win. Another two powerhouse teams! Northwestern and Maryland were just awful! We play Iowa fairly tough but when we needed stop we allowed them to move down the field for winning field goal. Another powerhouse team. Ohio State and Minnesota were just so much better than us it is had to blame defense. Decent defense finishes in top 25 in most catergories

2019 order of most disappointing: 1. Offense. 2. Special Teams. 3. Defense

Our offense was historically bad last season. One of the 3 worst offenses I've ever personally seen at Nebraska. And ranking 85th nationally in time of possession -- while not generating yards nor points (64th nationally in points per game) meant the defense was on its heels for most of the 2019 season.

Here's the deal -- a Frost-coached team is likely never going to be built around a top 20-25 defense. It's going to rely heavily on a very productive offense that puts 40+ points on the scoreboard on a regular basis. Thus, the defense will be better because the other team's offense is going to be forced to try to keep up with the scoring -- ideally forcing mistakes. Coach Frost has never been part of a team with a dominating defense that carried the team. That's not going to happen. However, that offense needs to click.

The blame in the 2019 season rests heavily on Frost and Walters running that garbage offense. Thank goodness Walters is gone -- but Frost is also going to have to pick up his play-calling, time management, and personnel decisions, all which underwhelmed last season.

Last edited:

Our offense was historically bad last season. One of the 3 worst offenses I've ever personally seen at Nebraska. And ranking 85th nationally in time of possession -- while not generating yards nor points (64th nationally in points per game) meant the defense was on its heels for most of the 2019 season.

Here's the deal -- a Frost-coached team is likely never going to be built around a top 20-25 defense. It's going to rely heavily on a very productive offense that puts 40+ points on the scoreboard on a regular basis. Thus, the defense will be better because the other team's offense is going to be forced to try to keep up with the scoring -- ideally forcing mistakes. Coach Frost has never been part of a team with a dominating defense that carried the team. That's not going to happen. However, that offense needs to click.

The blame in the 2019 season rests heavily on Frost and Walters running that garbage offense. Thank goodness Walters is gone -- but Frost is also going to have to pick up his play-calling, time management, and personnel decisions, all which underwhelmed last season.
Yeah I agree with order you picked. Offense and special teams are being addressed. But we still need to figure how to get the other team off the field in third and long. All three phases were underwhelming! Chinander needs to step it up

Last edited:

Agree completely with this. I actually think ST was more disappointing, was the bigger disaster, and could have won us a couple more games. However, IMO the offensive woes affected the team overall more. (If the offense would have been better we wouldn't have needed the ST as much.) Scott is building his team around offense first, and last year it just wasn't there despite having a returning QB.

The defense certainly had its struggles, especially against the better opponents. It improved from the prior year though and I thought they got better as the year went on. And the defense didn't get much help from the offense.

I think the perfect example of how our offense struggled despite good defensive performances is in the Iowa game.
*** summarized it well in another thread:

...our offense really left us hanging last year. Take the last game of the season for example… in the 3rd quarter, our defense forced two 3 and outs which resulted in negative yards for Iowa and 14 points for our offense. We tied it all up based on our defense getting us the ball back. But the 4th quarter, for whatever reason, was a different story offensively. Our defense starts the fourth with another 3 and out, and our offense returns the favor failing to get a first down. Luckily, our defense again forces another 3 and out against Iowa, and we are all feeling pretty good about ourselves. Unfortunately, our offense yet again goes 3 and out. While the next possession for Iowa wasn’t a 3 and out, it still only netted 19 yards on 6 plays, and a punt. Our offense AGAIN goes 3 and out and the game is still tied 24-24. Our defense then forces a fumble on the second play from Iowa to get the ball back to our offense. We then go 6 plays for 9 yards offensively, and after our defense did all that for us, it finally broke and allowed the game winning field goal.

Frost-coached team is likely never going to be built around a top 20-25 defense. It's going to rely heavily on a very productive offense that puts 40+ points on the scoreboard on a regular basis.

I hope I'm wrong but I have serious doubts that this is a proven "Big 10 Championship Team" caliber blue print to follow. I think Frost and Chinander under estimated the "Need for top 20 Defense" to win consistently in the BIG.

Last edited:

Yeah I agree with order you picked. Offense and special teams are being addressed. But we still need to figure how to get the other team off the field in third and long. All three phases were underwhelming! Chinander needs to step it up
Agree completely with this. I actually think ST was more disappointing, was the bigger disaster, and could have won us a couple more games. However, IMO the offensive woes affected the team overall more. (If the offense would have been better we wouldn't have needed the ST as much.) Scott is building his team around offense first, and last year it just wasn't there despite having a returning QB.

The defense certainly had its struggles, especially against the better opponents. It improved from the prior year though and I thought they got better as the year went on. And the defense didn't get much help from the offense.

I think the perfect example of how our offense struggled despite good defensive performances is in the Iowa game.
*** summarized it well in another thread:

There's no debating, every facet of the team was underwhelming last season. I consider the 2019 season to be the most disappointing in my lifetime, based on preseason expectations/hopes/dreams/whatever. You can't really point a finger at one thing and say, yep, that was the problem. It was literally everything.

It could be argued that special teams were the worst of them all. I couldn't debate that much. But I'd say the offense was the biggest disappointment based on what we thought they'd be and what they ended up being. As I said, if Frost is going to be successful, it's going to be because the offense is a machine. If that doesn't happen, it will put pressure on special teams and defense to come through -- but I just don't think that's how Frost has ever consistently won games as a coach -- either at Oregon or UCF. Nebraska will simply never be successful with Frost as coach if the offense is anything less than great.

I hope I'm wrong but I have serious doubts that this is a proven "Big 10 Championship Team" caliber blue print to follow. I think Frost and Chinander under estimated the "Need for top 20 Defense" to win consistently in the BIG.

That was definitely a concern I expressed upon Frost's hire. Would the Oregon-UCF style translate to wins in the Big Ten? Frost told us the Big Ten would have to adapt to Nebraska -- but it's becoming clearer that it's the other way around.

I think if we aren't going to have a top 20 defense, we will need to adjust our offense to control the clock a bit more. Meaning, more emphasis on the run game.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back