• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers Add Two New Defensive Analysts

Yeah it is hard to rank which area of team was worse when they all had issues. I think offense and special teams will be improved but defense will still be underwhelming. I am glad Chinander is getting help. We might see improvements but we still have to be stout enough to stand up under physical big 10 with superior athletes. We will not be successful trying to outscore opponents. Just think Coach Frost is going to have tough decision on his buddy after this season

First, Chinander not even close to on the hot seat. Secondly, it takes a special coach to want to be DC the way Frost wants to play football.

Alex Grinch went to Oklahoma, coming from Ohio State and thought of as a lights out defensive mind. They were ranked 64th in scoring defense and Nebraska was ranked 66th. If we are going to play the way Frost wants, get used to giving up some points.

Special teams is a bigger worry than Chinander. And his seat being "warm" smells of when we fired Banker even though his defense statistically was better than Langsdorfs offense. Anyone know how that worked out for us?

First, Chinander not even close to on the hot seat. Secondly, it takes a special coach to want to be DC the way Frost wants to play football.

Alex Grinch went to Oklahoma, coming from Ohio State and thought of as a lights out defensive mind. They were ranked 64th in scoring defense and Nebraska was ranked 66th. If we are going to play the way Frost wants, get used to giving up some points.

Special teams is a bigger worry than Chinander. And his seat being "warm" smells of when we fired Banker even though his defense statistically was better than Langsdorfs offense. Anyone know how that worked out for us?
It worked out great for us. It helped usher Eichorst out the door. :Biggrin:

Maybe the offensive playcalling will get tweaked a little to take pressure off defense. A bunch of good coaches had to tweak their systems.

Here's the deal -- a Frost-coached team is likely never going to be built around a top 20-25 defense. It's going to rely heavily on a very productive offense that puts 40+ points on the scoreboard on a regular basis. Thus, the defense will be better because the other team's offense is going to be forced to try to keep up with the scoring -- ideally forcing mistakes. Coach Frost has never been part of a team with a dominating defense that carried the team. That's not going to happen. However, that offense needs to click.

This is accurate and Frost needs to build into his offense (and hopefully he's doing that with the OLine recruiting thus far) an identity and ability to mow people over when time is of the essence.

'97 is a great way to show this. Peyton Manning, a future first ballot no questions asked Professional Hall of Famer, was stifled...STIFLED by Nebraska in his very last game ever as a collegian. You don't think he was up for that game? You don't think he studied the weaknesses in Nebraska's defense? I assure you he did and oh btw David Cutcliffe (ever heard of him?) was the OC working with him.

Nebraska's defense not only shut him down, his biggest issue was that he only had 43 plays the entire night in which to attempt to score with. I don't care who you are, if you only possess the ball 43 times (just counting when he was in the game) you better make every play count, and obviously he didn't. Nebraska D was terrific that night, no question, forcing Manning to go 3 and out 7 times. TOP was 13 minutes more for Nebraska that night. Three 3rd quarter possessions that averaged 80 yards and a TD after is the exact dagger you need to stick in the heart of a big play offense.

Someone said it earlier, Nebraska will probably never out talent anyone since they probably never have anyways. You better have a plan to beat more talent, and it starts on defense, both with and without the ball.

Maybe the offensive playcalling will get tweaked a little to take pressure off defense. A bunch of good coaches had to tweak their systems.
A lot more downhill running this year with Austin orchestrating it. He knows Jaimes, Farniok and the boys are good straight ahead but not athletic side to side. Add Mills as your back and it's easy to see how he arrived there.

Last edited:
A lot more downhill running this year with Austin orchestrating it. He knows Jaimes, Farniok and the boys are good straight ahead but not athletic side to side. Add Mills as your back and it's easy to see how he arrived there.
We have always seemed to do ok when we made a commitment to run the football.

We have always seemed to do ok when we made a commitment to run the football.

Not true.
In the last 20 years we became a QB running offense which was much less effective than our power running/option I-back offense under the Bob father and Dr. Tom.
Look back and often our leading rusher was the QB: Crouch, Lord, Martinez.

It was not so much that we didnt have I backs, as much as we lost the Pipeline to feature power running or style went to the Passing Game (Callaghan).

So yes, if Austin is going to feature Power running and Yes if Mills can stay healthy and Yes, if someone can be found to be Mills back up in a power running role (not Rahmir Johnson, he is not a power runner) and of course finally if the O-line is as athletic as they appear on paper (Pipeline returning to form) then this will work.

GBR

Last edited:

Not true.
In the last 20 years we became a QB running offense which was much less effective than our power running/option I-back offense under the Bob father and Dr. Tom.
Look back and often our leading rusher was the QB: Crouch, Lord, Martinez.

It was not so much that we didnt have I backs, as much as we lost the Pipeline to feature power running or style went to the Passing Game (Callaghan).

So yes, if Austin is going to feature Power running and Yes if Mills can stay healthy and Yes, if someone can be found to be Mills back up in a power running role (not Rahmir Johnson, he is not a power runner) and of course finally if the O-line is as athletic as they appear on paper (Pipeline returning to form) then this will work.

GBR
I was thinking along the lines after we went to west coast and spread offenses, we went away from power run games. One game I was thinking of was 2014 when Miami came to Lincoln, we ran the ball with commitment and attitude instead of being cute with running game. I agree we were too much qb run in the past 20 years or so.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back