• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

XFL Started Today

Joke coaches for joke league. Ticket prices start a 1 buck and a cereal box top and its not Wheaties pals
Come on now ... Bob Stoops, Jim Zorn, Marc Trestman, June Jones, Kevin Gilbride, Winston Moss, Hal Mumme, Norm Chow, Pepper Johnson, Chuck Long ... and yes ... Mike Riley

The coaches here have a pretty good lineage!

heavy.
Was curious and found this. XFL players average $55K which includes bonuses for being activated and winning games.
Coaches make $500K.
XFL has a 53 man roster - 46 are active.

There is a bonus for being on the active roster each week and a bonus each week for winning. The non-QBs in this league can earn more weekly by being on the active roster AND by winning than they would by their basic weekly salary! Might make for some interesting locker room dynamics!

The quarterbacks looked bad, missing throws by a large margin. You have to remember that there was no preseason games, and very little practices before hand so chemistry is going to take a bit. I think it could be a decent product by the end of the season. They will be around for a few years as they are backed by ESPN and Fox. I like some of the tweaks, and it would maybe be wise for the NFL to try to partner with them to try new rules before implementing them in the league.
I think for the XFL or any league to prosper they need the backing of the NFL. They almost need a minor league concept. The QBs need to be backups in the NFL - not washouts. Imagine A Taysom Hill or Teddy Bridgewater or Gardner Misnshew leading one of these teams.

Come on now ... Bob Stoops, Jim Zorn, Marc Trestman, June Jones, Kevin Gilbride, Winston Moss, Hal Mumme, Norm Chow, Pepper Johnson, Chuck Long ... and yes ... Mike Riley

The coaches here have a pretty good lineage!
All has beens pal
Hopefully Riley is coaching Team 9........that way he can be a nice guy and not lose.

I think it would be fun if they added some tweaks to promote fan support from specific schools and then maybe tied a few players to NFL teams for each roster.

Sort of a draft where the top non NFL rostered players would be in a pool divided by college teams -- so from Nebraska there'd be a pool of players with a team that had first option to sign them with a second team having the second option to sign guys from that school. So you'd have a first group NU team and a fallback NU team, then FA and open after that. I'd pay a bit of attention if they had a team with a few Nebraska guys playing.

Then have something like a practice squad where NFL teams can buy a roster spot for someone they want to protect and develop. There'd have to be a mechanism for a player to get selected by another team and promoted to the NFL active roster, but that could work something like MLB's minor league draft where a team would have to give up compensation for players (tiered, 1 player draft pick and the rest money, or something like that)

I think for the XFL or any league to prosper they need the backing of the NFL. They almost need a minor league concept. The QBs need to be backups in the NFL - not washouts. Imagine A Taysom Hill or Teddy Bridgewater or Gardner Misnshew leading one of these teams.
I think the best chance the XFL has of succeeding is to become an NFL minor league. I'm wondering if the XFL will eventually raid JUCOs for talent and even eventually draft kids right out of high school.

Sounds like you took my post personally there. I found what I watched of it boring, kind of like trying to watch Oregon St play Duke in college football. Hopefully, you didn't invest your entire 401K in this fledgling NFL wannabe.
Never take anything personal. Just the way I see it. Not how I invest my money. No worries.

I think the best chance the XFL has of succeeding is to become an NFL minor league. I'm wondering if the XFL will eventually raid JUCOs for talent and even eventually draft kids right out of high school.

I am pretty sure that there is one player on a roster that is right from High School. Sure, only one but the door is open. Don't have a link but that was a discussion on some overnight national sports radio

Last edited:
I enjoyed the games. I watched three of them. 2 on Saturday and one on Sunday. I really like the new kick off and Punt rules. It is a nice trade off of safety and action. Also like doing away with the almost automatic extra point.

The NFL can't support a full blown, 32-team development league. Not when you have teams like Alabama and Clemson turning out great quality.

I'd love to see an 8-team league where there's a team for each NFL division. An NFC North team would really make the Packers think about relegating someone because they might wind up on the Vikings or Bears.

The NFL can't support a full blown, 32-team development league. Not when you have teams like Alabama and Clemson turning out great quality.

I'd love to see an 8-team league where there's a team for each NFL division. An NFC North team would really make the Packers think about relegating someone because they might wind up on the Vikings or Bears.
I believe the NFL could support a robust minor league system. The question, as you hinted, is why should they when they get talent developed for free? Universities are their de facto minor league and it doesn't cost them a penny. Heck, college football should be charging players for their development!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back