• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

XFL Started Today

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
And it was actually pretty decent. The focus is on faster, no-nonsense games, and they achieved that. Solid product on the field.

Check out the kickoffs and the PATs. Totally different rules, but they feel fun. PATs, in particular feel like they're actually an opportunity for strategy, opposed to an automatic 1 point. Teams can go for 1, 2 or 3 pts on the PAT and it's gauged solely by distance. Interesting.

I tried to watch part of it and just couldn't do it. I don't see this latest take on "pro" football lasting very long at all and perhaps not even one full season. We will see, but it just looks slow and boring. Arena football was a better product, but that is just mpo.

Did I read correctly that Mike Riley is the offensive coordinator for the Seattle Dragons?
Joke coaches for joke league. Ticket prices start a 1 buck and a cereal box top and its not Wheaties pals

I watched a good portion of the Houston vs LA game. Houston looked ok, but LA looked awful. It wasn't due to poor athletes, but rather poor coaching. While Houston struggled early to work out some first-game kinks, LA never seemed to know what they were doing. There seemed to be no chemistry on the team, with various players taking turns looking like bad teammates, yelling at one another. Their quarterback was the biggest offender. I seriously would have benched him, based solely on his attitude and lack of leadership.

I tried to watch part of it and just couldn't do it. I don't see this latest take on "pro" football lasting very long at all and perhaps not even one full season. We will see, but it just looks slow and boring. Arena football was a better product, but that is just mpo.
They have far more financial backing than that inept attempt the NFL put together last year. This league will be around for awhile, much to the chagrin of those that don't like anything new.

I watched a good portion of the Houston vs LA game. Houston looked ok, but LA looked awful. It wasn't due to poor athletes, but rather poor coaching. While Houston struggled early to work out some first-game kinks, LA never seemed to know what they were doing. There seemed to be no chemistry on the team, with various players taking turns looking like bad teammates, yelling at one another. Their quarterback was the biggest offender. I seriously would have benched him, based solely on his attitude and lack of leadership.

The quarterbacks looked bad, missing throws by a large margin. You have to remember that there was no preseason games, and very little practices before hand so chemistry is going to take a bit. I think it could be a decent product by the end of the season. They will be around for a few years as they are backed by ESPN and Fox. I like some of the tweaks, and it would maybe be wise for the NFL to try to partner with them to try new rules before implementing them in the league.

The quarterbacks looked bad, missing throws by a large margin. You have to remember that there was no preseason games, and very little practices before hand so chemistry is going to take a bit. I think it could be a decent product by the end of the season. They will be around for a few years as they are backed by ESPN and Fox. I like some of the tweaks, and it would maybe be wise for the NFL to try to partner with them to try new rules before implementing them in the league.
Agree with most of this. Thought overall play was pretty good. QB's looked pretty decent, however I am watching Aaron Murray with Tampa Bay and I can understand why he washed out of the NFL. Maybe a case of outstanding college QB that couldn't translate upwards. Just looking very poor today.

correct me if i'm wrong, but I thought the point was to speed up the game by looking at specific rule changes, but not to speed up the game so much that it didn't feel like football anymore. The closer it operates to the NFL, the better the product can be but also the more popular it will become.

Right now, there just isn't that longstanding history, tradition, or loyalty to it. I grew up knowing nothing but husker football. This is all brand new. It needs a few years to take root in the respective communities. I wish we could get one near me in Charlotte, NC.

Also, this new XFL isn't gimmicky or essentially a WWE Wrestling version of football. Actual viable product here. Big question is dollars and fanbase. If it works, though, this could be a good feeder system for NFL talent.
Haha, you brought back memories as I went to the very 1st XFL game EVER (Las Vegas vs ??, LV won) in Vegas back in the day....had a blast!! Went to a 2nd LV game that they lost. I believe they had a RB calling himself "He hate me" or something like that. Still have the hat and a t-shirt for that LV XFL team somewhere!

heavy.
Was curious and found this. XFL players average $55K which includes bonuses for being activated and winning games.
Coaches make $500K.

They have far more financial backing than that inept attempt the NFL put together last year. This league will be around for awhile, much to the chagrin of those that don't like anything new.
Sounds like you took my post personally there. I found what I watched of it boring, kind of like trying to watch Oregon St play Duke in college football. Hopefully, you didn't invest your entire 401K in this fledgling NFL wannabe.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back