• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost is doubling down on his system with the Lubick hire

Oracle of Lincoln

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
I get it. It’s easier to work with your friends. He knows the offense. Good coach and good recruiter but let’s be honest he’s bounced around a bit. Still searching for excellence.

Bigger question after two years does Frost’s approach work in the B1G? It hasn’t been a thing of beauty this far.

Can NU recruit the caliber of athlete to Lincoln make it work in the B1G?

No idea of those answers. But with Lubick in tow it certainly seems like it’s more Oregon like imitation going forward.

Frost just pushed a fat stack of chips into the pot.

Last edited:

My biggest concern here comes from watching a decent amount of Oregon football. I'm not a diehard fan, but I've caught several games over the last decade.

In my mind, Oregon always outgunned the Pac12. The conference is a bit pass-happy, much like the Big XII. But when you look at the games in which Oregon has struggled over the last ten years, it's routinely been teams like Auburn, LSU, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Stanford and others that are either Big Ten teams or fit the Big Ten archetype of a powerful ground game and big lines.

That scares me a little bit, knowing that Oregon always struggled with the kind of schemes that are Big Ten bread-and-butter.

But that being said, Oregon was also planning around a schedule full of Pac12 air ball, so having the lone Stanford or Auburn game was the outlier, not the rule. My hope is that Frost can add a few wrinkles like some FB/TE play that will modify the classic Oregon system to be more suitable for the meatgrinder B1G.

My biggest concern here comes from watching a decent amount of Oregon football. I'm not a diehard fan, but I've caught several games over the last decade.

In my mind, Oregon always outgunned the Pac12. The conference is a bit pass-happy, much like the Big XII. But when you look at the games in which Oregon has struggled over the last ten years, it's routinely been teams like Auburn, LSU, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Stanford and others that are either Big Ten teams or fit the Big Ten archetype of a powerful ground game and big lines.

That scares me a little bit, knowing that Oregon always struggled with the kind of schemes that are Big Ten bread-and-butter.

But that being said, Oregon was also planning around a schedule full of Pac12 air ball, so having the lone Stanford or Auburn game was the outlier, not the rule. My hope is that Frost can add a few wrinkles like some FB/TE play that will modify the classic Oregon system to be more suitable for the meatgrinder B1G.
I agree and hope the same.

I get it. It’s easier to work with your friends. He knows the offense. Good coach and good recruiter but let’s be honest he’s bounced around a bit. Still searching for excellence.

Bigger question after two years does Frost’s approach work in the B1G? It hasn’t been a thing of beauty this far.

Can NU recruit the caliber of athlete to Lincoln make it work in the B1G?

No idea of those answers. But with Lubick in tow it certainly seems like it’s more Oregon like imitation going forward.

Frost just pushed a fat stack of chips into the pot.

I think this is an absolute valid concern. I'm hoping we will finally see the marriage that SF talked about: Oregon speed with NU 1997 power.

Well put.

This concerned me a bit before going back to see how frost attacked auburn in that bowl game. There was more of a power element than what he showed at Oregon.

Good post. I am hoping he can help bring some innovative ideas or at least since he was around when the offense was created, help Frost with some fixes or adjustments, something Walters struggled with.

As I said in another thread, I like this hire actually from a "help Frost with the offense" standpoint but would have preferred Joseph on the recruiting trail.

I'm hoping we will finally see the marriage that SF talked about. Oregon speed with NU 1997 power.

If SF sticks to what I truly believe is his vision, and after a few more recruiting cycles to get there, then I believe it could be exciting.
We just can’t continue to miss bowl games and be sub .500 so it’s past time for the rubber to meet the road.

Scott is going to run his offense. He believes in it. I don't see this as a doubling down at all. He plugged a hole with a better coach and recruiter for this system. If he pulled somebody who wasn't familiar with this offense, people would be bitching and moaning. Meh

Last edited:

I think it certainy helps that Lubick knows and understands the Oregon offense . . . so there's less time that would be spent on getting up to speed with the core of what Frost is doing. But ML's been around a lot of other good offenses and OC's. As others have said, I would hope that this is an opportunity to have Lubick help modify and improve what needs to be modified and improved.

Hopefully his first few hours involves shredding the swing pass pages in the playbook.

Last edited:
I’m in the camp that a Pac 12/Big 12 spread offense won’t work in the Big 10. We’ve been trying variations of it for what, a decade now? Not much success. Northwestern and Indiana run that style with limited success. I just don’t think that scheme holds up to the physicality of the conference.

Sure hope I have no clue what I’m talking about!

I’m in the camp that a Pac 12/Big 12 spread offense won’t work in the Big 10. We’ve been trying variations of it for what, a decade now? Not much success. Northwestern and Indiana run that style with limited success. I just don’t think that scheme holds up to the physicality of the conference.

Seems as though OSU and PSU are doing pretty well with a spread style offense.

I think the offense can work well in the B1G. You just have to run it well and be physical . . . and we don't do either right now. When your o-line isn't blocking well, your QB regresses and/or is hurt, you don't have very good WR's, you're trying to find the answer at RB, etc, that all adds up to where the Huskers are now.

What Minny was running looked a lot like what Frost probably imagined coming in. Fleck's just getting way more out of his guys from a physical and execution perspective and his QB played lights out. And his WR recruiting hasn't been largely a bust.

I think the offense can work well in the B1G. You just have to run it well and be physical . . . and we don't do either right now. When your o-line isn't blocking well, your QB regresses and/or is hurt, you don't have very good WR's, you're trying to find the answer at RB, etc, that all adds up to where the Huskers are now.

What Minny was running looked a lot like what Frost probably imagined coming in. Fleck's just getting way more out of his guys from a physical and execution perspective and his QB played lights out. And his WR recruiting hasn't been largely a bust.

I think this is pretty accurate. Under Pelini, the spread worked pretty well when we had a physical line up front and backs and QB's to make it work. FWIW, when the pieces were in place the second half of 2018, this offense clicked really well against the B10, and in the second half of this year it mostly played well also.

I think we have the OL coming back, the primary RB coming back, lots of options at QB, and some very good young receivers.

If I look at this, I think that Frost realized he didn't want to screw around a year trying to fit it together and got a guy he KNEW could help him get the most out of the talent we have.

I think this is pretty accurate. Under Pelini, the spread worked pretty well when we had a physical line up front and backs and QB's to make it work. FWIW, when the pieces were in place the second half of 2018, this offense clicked really well against the B10, and in the second half of this year it mostly played well also.

I think we have the OL coming back, the primary RB coming back, lots of options at QB, and some very good young receivers.

If I look at this, I think that Frost realized he didn't want to screw around a year trying to fit it together and got a guy he KNEW could help him get the most out of the talent we have.
I agree
Having the O-line back will be huge regardless of who plays QB.
I also like an earlier post about adding a power aspect to the offense.

In this case, you are correct.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back