• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Recruiting Update

Any idea about Julius Coates? Will they take both Payne and Coates?

Last edited:
i wish we could have gotten another tall HS WR to stack with Manning. Either Justin Robinson or Javian Hester would have been a really important part of this class, but it looks like we'll get neither. WR inches will be a desperate need again next year like it was this year, even if Betts qualifies

Last edited:
Any idea about Julius Coates? Will they take both Payne and Coates?
Pure speculation on my end, but I think the coaches like Payne over Coates and Riley. It appears we only want one JuCo defensive lineman. I think if the coaches allowed Julius Coates and Jordon Riley to commit, they'd be N. Coates decommitted from Colorado the day after the coaches visit. Riley claimed that he was shutting down recruitment after he visited Lincoln. Neither ended up committing though.

I'd be happy to be wrong and end up with Coates though.

*Edit Jordon Riley is committed to Nebraska!

Last edited:

we need every one of those guys listed a few posts back,. Now what needs to change once we get em here ? How do we need to help them fit in ? How do we get them from potential ... to productive asap ?, and from productive to 2nd and 3rd team all conference players ? development is hard, and unpredictible. Good Work coaches, and good luck.

Pure speculation on my end, but I think the coaches like Payne over Coates and Riley. It appears we only want one JuCo defensive lineman. I think if the coaches allowed Julius Coates and Jordon Riley to commit, they'd be N. Coates decommitted from Colorado the day after the coaches visit. Riley claimed that he was shutting down recruitment after he visited Lincoln. Neither ended up committing though.

I'd be happy to be wrong and end up with Coates though.
We could simply have 2 silents here. Certainly appeared that way on the surface. I have a feeling we get both.

We could simply have 2 silents here. Certainly appeared that way on the surface. I have a feeling we get both.
That's always possible. The reason I don't think either are committed is because Mike Schafer mentioned that no one can reach Coates all of a sudden. He said they used to be able to get a hold of him easily. And Riley took a visit to ECU this past weekend.

Edit* Jordon Riley commits like 20 minutes after I posted this.

Last edited:

I would be shocked if there isnt enough attrition to allow us to take the max of 28 if we want to. I would also never save a scholarship just in case someone came in the transfer portal that you want. If you know something for sure and are positive you can get him that is different but the spots are too valuable to save for a maybe.

I would be shocked if there isnt enough attrition to allow us to take the max of 28 if we want to. I would also never save a scholarship just in case someone came in the transfer portal that you want. If you know something for sure and are positive you can get him that is different but the spots are too valuable to save for a maybe.
Max of 28? Where do you get 28?

Max of 28? Where do you get 28?
Was thinking of 25 plus three but forgot about Green who counts against this year and there is probably another one also. After reading the LJS article it sounds like I was wrong.

I do remember last year how in last few weeks of second signing period we couldnt figure out how we were going to have room for everyone and we didnt get the kids we thought we would and ended up with empty slots.

Last edited:

I believe the LJS said max of 26?
That's what I saw as well. That's why they asked Gifford to blueshirt and count against 2021. 26 max for initial counters.

Right now we have 22 scholarships available. 19 open + 3 Big Ten over-sign. By the time February comes around, I think we'll see enough guys transfer out that we'll have more than 26 scholarships available.

Was thinking of 25 plus three but forgot about Green who counts against this year and there is probably another one also. After reading the LJS article it sounds like I was wrong.

I do remember last year how in last few weeks of second signing period we couldnt figure out how we were going to have room for everyone and we didnt get the kids we thought we would and ended up with empty slots.
Green counted against this years numbers? He wasn't a blueshirt - as he was recruited and took an official visit here. Last year LJS told us we had 30 openings. We signed 27 HS & JuCo targets. Then added 3 transfers (Mills, Noa, and Daniels).

Edit* I meant Vokolek was the transfer. Mills was a JuCo.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back