• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Adrian in a sling

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Eric Crouch who was doing these same workouts in the 90s had shoulder injuries. Got it.

Luke Gifford had hip injuries, not shoulders.

Cam Taylor-Britt - Shoulder
Caleb Tannor - Shoulder
Cam Jones - Season ending shoulder surgery
Miles Jones - Shoulder injury
Casey Rogers - Season ending shoulder surgery
Deontai Williams - Season ending shoulder surgery
Adrian Martinez - Shoulder injury
Jamin Graham - Shoulder injury
Javin Wright - Season ending shoulder injury
Chris Hickman - Would have been season ending shoulder injury if it didn't happen right away
Nick Henrich - Would have been season ending soulder injury if it didn't happen right away

That's just our 2018 and 2019 recruits that had shoulder injuries 25% of em', not even guys already on the team. So.... ya... we had more shoulder injuries than other teams.

Now if we want to start going into knee injuries it gets just as ugly.

OK you win. Lots of shoulder injuries. But guess what I don't have access to knowing what kind of injuries these guys have like you do.

But this comes back to exactly the same thing again. You think they are doing something wrong in their lifting. You never want to say that but, you do say it. *** when it comes right down to it. I get the impression that you really aren't that impressed with a lot of what SF and his staff are doing. You definitely aren't into Duval and his lifting.

I know you will say well it doesn't matter as long as Frost and Duval are on the same page.

The bolded simply doesn't have to be true. However, it may have been true in 2019. Do people really think that SF would lose games just to keep AM on the field? If so, there is really nothing that can be said for NU fans supporting any coach...as that means they have no confidence in SF wanting to win. I for one just don't think that is true. Many keep saying "SF made a bunch of mistakes", but really, who knows that for sure since all of those perceived mistakes are being viewed with 20/20 hindsight and based almost completely on RESULTS.

I highly doubt there is anyone who believes Frost didn't want to win.

For this past season, I suppose a lot of this issue depends when did Martinez get hurt (the shoulder)? Was that in the last couple of weeks or early in the season? Was Vedral ever really an option or not? Obviously, McCaffrey wasn't, in order to preserve his redshirt. Regardless, we all know Frost wasn't trying to sabotage the season by playing an injured Martinez.

Anyhow, my concern is due to reading *** say that it's very likely Martinez is the starter again next season regardless of what the backups do between now and the start of the 2020 season. So, there's some suggestion that Frost will ride with Martinez as much as possible, as long as it's possible.

I highly doubt there is anyone who believes Frost didn't want to win.

For this past season, I suppose a lot of this issue depends when did Martinez get hurt (the shoulder)? Was that in the last couple of weeks or early in the season? Was Vedral ever really an option or not? Obviously, McCaffrey wasn't, in order to preserve his redshirt. Regardless, we all know Frost wasn't trying to sabotage the season by playing an injured Martinez.

Anyhow, my concern is due to reading *** say that it's very likely Martinez is the starter again next season regardless of what the backups do between now and the start of the 2020 season. So, there's some suggestion that Frost will ride with Martinez as much as possible, as long as it's possible.

My prediction and a couple bucks still won't be enough to get you a Starbucks....but the bolded is my prediction.

There is absolutely NO WAY that Adrian is not the starter next season.

I think he proved he could do that in 2018 (my opinion). But I would say it would take a miracle for Vedral or McCaffrey to unseat him for 2020. I can promise you the narrative all spring, summer, and fall camp will be how much better Martinez looks now that he is recovered from his knee and shoulder injury. Feel free to bookmark this post.
Agreed. And we'll see McCaffrey in other roles, as WR, for example.

It seems Martinez is simply always going to be a huge injury risk.

He missed all of his senior year in high school. Missed a couple games in 2018. Mostly played through injuries in 2019. So is that just the plan -- a hobbled Adrian is still better than our other options going forward?

I know you can't really plan for injuries -- but the odds are very good Martinez is going to be injured at some point in 2020 (enough to impact his play negatively, if he plays). Whether or not that's enough for Frost to rest him on the bench or not is TBD.
Yup. If they don't have a backup ready to execute most if not all the playbook next year, that's on Frost.

Some of the shoulder injuries are tackling technique related. Williams and Taylor-Britt blasted theirs by shoulder-missiling receivers or backs. Looks nice on a highlight reel if you blow the dude up and survive. But too many times, our guys didn't. Taylor-Britt limped along with that all year and kept tweaking it. Williams was launching himself out of control at guys (and often missing because his head was down and he was trying to blow them up) right up to the poitn when he actually made contact and busted himself.

The point of your shoulder alone vs the thick areas of a large, fast-moving object will eventually get you hurt.

I had been told Martinez was "hurting" and barely making it thru. Quite honestly I always assumed they were talking about his knee still with the way he was moving. Now it's his shoulder too. I'm not entirely sure what the answer should have been, but I don't know if this makes me feel better or worse about things. He started every game but two of them due to his knee injury, but didn't miss any time due to his shoulder. This was a "get our of jail free" card for Frost to let people know why we were seeing the struggles.

At least we have an answer on why he looked the way he did. Not entirely sure I like that we had yet another shoulder injury to our preseason Heisman candidate as the culprit.

How many games do you think he was playing hurt?

How many games do you think he was playing hurt?

I'm not ***, but I get the feeling it was from game 1. The guy just never looked like himself all year.

It's one thing to not be as effective because other teams have you on tape and can gameplan for you, but AM looked like a completely different player out there and it didn't make any sense.

Last edited:

The only thing I will say about Martinez / McCaffrey, based on a small N for LM and realizing AM2 was just a sophomore: It just seems to me when I watch the two that LM has football IQ and AM2 doesn't. It's how I feel about Domann and Britt-Taylor, too; they are just football smart. I put LaVonte David in there also. They just make plays and good choices. I just don't see that with AM2. I feel he has to know what to do because someone told him and he is therefore slow in decision making while the other folks I named just do it because they see it and react. Like I said, very small number of plays to judge LM on, and AM2 was only a sophomore.

Agree with most all of this, but many coaches are tight lipped about injuries. It is part of the way football is done now, except for the "injury report" world of the NFL and the Patriots continue to make that a farce.
Being tight lipped with the injury is cool, but what is there to benefit from it by telling us at the end of the season other than using it as a scapegoat. Especially when the kid didn't seem to be bothered by said injury at certain parts of the season, at least not enough to use it as a "reason" for the struggle. (Referring to Zac Lee's season issues in 09).

I'm all for keeping information to the public on a need to know basis, but why is it important for us to know after the losing season has concluded, but not during the season when we are trying to figure out why our team is struggling with things they shouldn't be.

The only thing I will say about Martinez / McCaffrey, based on a small N for LM and realizing AM2 was just a sophomore: It just seems to me when I watch the two that LM has football IQ and AM2 doesn't. It's how I feel about Domann and Britt-Taylor, too; they are just football smart. I put LaVonte David in there also. They just make plays and good choices. I just don't see that with AM2. I feel he has to know what to do because someone told him and he is therefore slow in decision making while the other folks I named just do it because they see it and react. Like I said, very small number of plays to judge LM on, and AM2 was only a sophomore.
I agree with the logic, but don't necessarily agree with the assessment on AM...... AM's decision making wasn't questioned as a true freshman, but now we are questioning it as a sophomore...... I don't think a gamers IQ goes down over a summer. I think there has to be something that was taught/coached/instructed that limits how fluid he is able to play. Couple that with the injury. Along with now we have serviceable talent behind him, now all of a sudden, "AM needs to be sat down"........we are quick to just say the "player" is the issue as if there aren't other factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back