• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Adrian in a sling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truthfully I just want to see this staff put the players in the best position to succeed. That comes with play calling, not putting them out there while they are healing from an injury when there are other options, giving the player out the t green light to utilize his natural ability within the play, etc...

We as fans are quick to just throw away a kid simply because he showcased some struggles for reasons we know nothing about. We have people on this forum throwing shots at AM without asking, what are the reasons he took a step back this year. Last season he performed well enough for the nation to have him as a preseason Heisman favorite, yet, the notion is, a true freshman who play limited time is BETTER than him and he's just a turnover machine?.................yet the true freshman couldn't win the starting spot.......Oh, I forgot, that's because the staff didn't have a fair competition........

Another thing I'm tired of is finding out that a player happen to be having a "secret injury" that was keeping him from excelling on the field. I feel like that information is only given to us because of the heat from the fans on if the coach did their job with preparing and developing that player for that season. It reminds me of the 09 season when afterwards the staff gave us some information about some injury that Zac Lee was dealing with supposedly all season, which I though was BS, but hey, I'm not in the locker room, huddle, or at practice with these guys.

I had been told Martinez was "hurting" and barely making it thru. Quite honestly I always assumed they were talking about his knee still with the way he was moving. Now it's his shoulder too. I'm not entirely sure what the answer should have been, but I don't know if this makes me feel better or worse about things. He started every game but two of them due to his knee injury, but didn't miss any time due to his shoulder. This was a "get our of jail free" card for Frost to let people know why we were seeing the struggles.

At least we have an answer on why he looked the way he did. Not entirely sure I like that we had yet another shoulder injury to our preseason Heisman candidate as the culprit.

I seem to remember a game where he dove for the pylon and got hit on the left shoulder pretty good. Not sure which one it was, but i think there were multiple issues with AM this year. Not really sure what you mean by "get out of jail free" card....he was either injured or not...i'm pretty sure they didn't have AM go through a surgery or some procedure just so he would have an excuse for poorer performance than expected.

As for the bolded, NU seems to have alot of shoulder injuries. I'm a little confused as to what you are saying with that sentence, but i am definitely sure i don't like that any NU player has an injury, regardless of preseason hype.

I seem to remember a game where he dove for the pylon and got hit on the left shoulder pretty good. Not sure which one it was, but i think there were multiple issues with AM this year. Not really sure what you mean by "get out of jail free" card....he was either injured or not...i'm pretty sure they didn't have AM go through a surgery or some procedure just so he would have an excuse for poorer performance than expected.

As for the bolded, NU seems to have alot of shoulder injuries. I'm a little confused as to what you are saying with that sentence, but i am definitely sure i don't like that any NU player has an injury, regardless of preseason hype.
You are right he did get his elbow hit pretty good one game.

Get out of jail free card was if he is injured, and i'm not sure where you got that anyone is stating they had Martinez go thru a surgery for an excuse. No one is that dumb.

Bolded references how many shoulder injuries we had before our QB had one.

It seems Martinez is simply always going to be a huge injury risk.

He missed all of his senior year in high school. Missed a couple games in 2018. Mostly played through injuries in 2019. So is that just the plan -- a hobbled Adrian is still better than our other options going forward?

I know you can't really plan for injuries -- but the odds are very good Martinez is going to be injured at some point in 2020 (enough to impact his play negatively, if he plays). Whether or not that's enough for Frost to rest him on the bench or not is TBD.

The bolded simply doesn't have to be true. However, it may have been true in 2019. Do people really think that SF would lose games just to keep AM on the field? If so, there is really nothing that can be said for NU fans supporting any coach...as that means they have no confidence in SF wanting to win. I for one just don't think that is true. Many keep saying "SF made a bunch of mistakes", but really, who knows that for sure since all of those perceived mistakes are being viewed with 20/20 hindsight and based almost completely on RESULTS.

Frost has a huge challenge ahead for 2020 and it will be if nothing else interesting to see how he handles things. We have more questions than answers right now imo. There's only so many excuses and get out of jail cards available before fans and admin really start making some ugly noises. Granted he will get a lot more slack then almost anyone else but the program desperatly needs to show REAL progress. Only way we're ultimately judged is our W-L record which presently isn't looking good.

Bottom line for me is I bought into all the hype and Kool-aide the past 2 seasons but no more. Frost needs to find a winning combo for 2020, get the team to a bowl and deep 6 excuses. It's his team now and I will only be satisfied with Nebraska showing real progress.

Please make sure you tell SF your feelings. I'm sure that will make him work much harder. Oh, and also tell him he is personally responsible for your purchase of hype and kool-aide. I also expected better, but at least i am not bitter over my own failure to see what might happen. Choosing to buy in on that stuff is and was a personal choice.

You are right he did get his elbow hit pretty good one game.

Get out of jail free card was if he is injured, and i'm not sure where you got that anyone is stating they had Martinez go thru a surgery for an excuse. No one is that dumb.

Bolded references how many shoulder injuries we had before our QB had one.

I guess I don't think they are having any more shoulder injuries than they ever have. I know you think they are. It has seemed like Nebraska has a lot of shoulder injuries for years. Not just since SF had taken over. Eric Crouch had his shoulder cleaned up every off season he was here if I remember correctly. Luke Gifford had the shoulder injury under MR. Lots of linemen have shoulder surgery. Shoulders are a pretty week joint and they take a ton of pounding in football.

Truthfully I just want to see this staff put the players in the best position to succeed. That comes with play calling, not putting them out there while they are healing from an injury when there are other options, giving the player out the t green light to utilize his natural ability within the play, etc...

We as fans are quick to just throw away a kid simply because he showcased some struggles for reasons we know nothing about. We have people on this forum throwing shots at AM without asking, what are the reasons he took a step back this year. Last season he performed well enough for the nation to have him as a preseason Heisman favorite, yet, the notion is, a true freshman who play limited time is BETTER than him and he's just a turnover machine?.................yet the true freshman couldn't win the starting spot.......Oh, I forgot, that's because the staff didn't have a fair competition........

Another thing I'm tired of is finding out that a player happen to be having a "secret injury" that was keeping him from excelling on the field. I feel like that information is only given to us because of the heat from the fans on if the coach did their job with preparing and developing that player for that season. It reminds me of the 09 season when afterwards the staff gave us some information about some injury that Zac Lee was dealing with supposedly all season, which I though was BS, but hey, I'm not in the locker room, huddle, or at practice with these guys.

Agree with most all of this, but many coaches are tight lipped about injuries. It is part of the way football is done now, except for the "injury report" world of the NFL and the Patriots continue to make that a farce.

One more reason why he should not have been on the field. There were other options.
Is Scott another bull headed Bo? The other Martinez should not have been on the field either when he was not healed up and Bo played him hurt....anyone doubt that look at the OU game Big 12 CG and the Washington Holiday Bowl.

I think he proved he could do that in 2018 (my opinion). But I would say it would take a miracle for Vedral or McCaffrey to unseat him for 2020. I can promise you the narrative all spring, summer, and fall camp will be how much better Martinez looks now that he is recovered from his knee and shoulder injury. Feel free to bookmark this post.

I said the same thing many times in the last 2 or 3 weeks.

There is NO way in my mind that Martinez is not the QB come Purdue time.

I guess I don't think they are having any more shoulder injuries than they ever have. I know you think they are. It has seemed like Nebraska has a lot of shoulder injuries for years. Not just since SF had taken over. Eric Crouch had his shoulder cleaned up every off season he was here if I remember correctly. Luke Gifford had the shoulder injury under MR. Lots of linemen have shoulder surgery. Shoulders are a pretty week joint and they take a ton of pounding in football.
So Eric Crouch who was doing these same workouts in the 90s had shoulder injuries. Got it.

Luke Gifford had hip injuries, not shoulders.

Cam Taylor-Britt - Shoulder
Caleb Tannor - Shoulder
Cam Jones - Season ending shoulder surgery
Miles Jones - Season ending shoulder surgery
Casey Rogers - Season ending shoulder surgery
Deontai Williams - Season ending shoulder surgery
Adrian Martinez - Shoulder injury
Jamin Graham - Shoulder injury
Javin Wright - Season ending shoulder injury
Chris Hickman - Would have been season ending shoulder injury if it didn't happen right away
Nick Henrich - Would have been season ending soulder injury if it didn't happen right away

That's just our 2018 and 2019 recruits that had shoulder injuries 25% of em', not even guys already on the team. So.... ya... we had more shoulder injuries than other teams.

Now if we want to start going into knee injuries it gets just as ugly.

Last edited:

Doesn't matter the level of play, 90% of the time you are only as good as your QB.

Take any team at any level and say going into the game is our QB better than the opponent?
That team will usually get the W.

2019:

South Alabama Yes
Colorado We wanted to say yes, but was that truthful
Northern Illinois Yes
Illinois Yes
Ohio State No
Northwestern Should be yes every year, but.....
Minnesota Should be yes every year, but No
Indiana Should be yes every year, but No
Purdue Should have been, especially when they brought in their 3rd string, but No
Wisconsin No
Iowa No

Thoughts?
Next Year predictions based on QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back