• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A look at Frost's nine wins in two years

I'm completely certain Riley's first year didn't have as much defense as this, when every loss was 10 points or less, 4 were 3 points or less, the average margin of defeat for the losses that season was 4 points, and the first four losses all came either in the last play of the game or the last 10 seconds of the game. Talk about a team that was snakebit and "coulda had" 10 wins in 2015 based on your approach. Then, of course, Riley had 9 wins in 2016 -- and there was still more hate spewed at him than Frost is receiving currently.

Anyhow, you gave the positive spin, which is fine. But the flip side is that we were one wounded duck miracle FG away from OT with a horrible Northwestern team, and it took a late score against Illinois to win by 4. We could have had 8 wins this season, or we could have had 2. Obviously, when you have more losses, you have more opportunities for them to "coulda been a win" than the fewer total of wins that "coulda been losses." Reality is, we were 5-7 in 2019 and 4-8 in 2018 -- and it didn't feel like we were better than the record indicated. There is no doubt it was a subpar product that produced subpar results. The record fits the quality of play on the field.

There was a whole lot of "this is why Riley sucks" used from his first game to his last in Lincoln that is now used as a pardon for Frost.

Difference is we were a 9 win team before Riley, 9 acceptable wins or not.

I didn’t condemn Riley until his third year and yes, I’m putting a positive spin on things. I SEE positive things. No, not perfection and not what we want to see, but I’m not looking for why we didn’t end up 2-10.

He trots our another 4-8 or 5-7 team next year and I’ll have issues with it.

I'm completely certain Riley's first year didn't have as much defense as this, when every loss was 10 points or less, 4 were 3 points or less, the average margin of defeat for the losses that season was 4 points, and the first four losses all came either in the last play of the game or the last 10 seconds of the game. Talk about a team that was snakebit and "coulda had" 10 wins in 2015 based on your approach. Then, of course, Riley had 9 wins in 2016 -- and there was still more hate spewed at him than Frost is receiving currently.

Anyhow, you gave the positive spin, which is fine. But the flip side is that we were one wounded duck miracle FG away from OT with a horrible Northwestern team, and it took a late score against Illinois to win by 4. We could have had 8 wins this season, or we could have had 2. Obviously, when you have more losses, you have more opportunities for them to "coulda been a win" than the fewer total of wins that "coulda been losses." Reality is, we were 5-7 in 2019 and 4-8 in 2018 -- and it didn't feel like we were better than the record indicated. There is no doubt it was a subpar product that produced subpar results. The record fits the quality of play on the field.

There was a whole lot of "this is why Riley sucks" used from his first game to his last in Lincoln that is now used as a pardon for Frost.
Riley took a team that had averaged over 9 wins per season the previous 7 years and turned it into a reflection of himself: a soft loser.

The task Frost inherited is dramatically different than what Riley inherited. Your comparison is patently ridiculous.

I sincerely hope you are right.

The problem with the close games the last few years is that we lose 75% of them. I think we are 3-9 in one possession games. Maybe it's just bad luck and it will even out in due time. I tend to think it has more to do with lack of killer instinct and being outcoached.
So true. Decent coaching of special teams and clock management and there is a likelihood of 2 more wins.

Riley took a team that had averaged over 9 wins per season the previous 7 years and turned it into a reflection of himself: a soft loser.

The task Frost inherited is dramatically different than what Riley inherited. Your comparison is patently ridiculous.

I agree it’s much different, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a narrative shift from “better get us in year one” to the most difficult rebuild in college football history any faster.

I agree it’s much different, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a narrative shift from “better get us in year one” to the most difficult rebuild in college football history any faster.
That's a fair argument. I thought the turnaround would be faster. I also don't think we're as far away as other people think.

I’m guessing of all the statements he’s made that he’d like to have back, that one is the leader in the clubhouse.

Last edited:

If HCSF needs years he is not even close too the HCBP level. I doubt the Husker nation will tolerate two more years of feeble play. The product is really bad. This team looks like a Kansas or Baylor of our dominate days. HCSF needs help and if will not admit he needs help I doubt that he finishes year 4 as the head coach,

He will be our coach 5 years from now

We all agree that there's no reason to bring up Riley to blame the current struggles. By the same token, there's no reason to bring him up in this way either. While I think he forever sucked as a coach, it was unfair that he got fired after 3 years. Frost will get a longer leash because he's a better coach and a former player.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back