• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

in my opinion, this quote tells all we need to know about the coaching

I said it would take us 10 years just to get back where we were after firing Pelini. 5 down, 5 to go. Patience! Halfway there.

There's no doubt that things have been disappointing the first two seasons, but some fans seem to want to throw in the towel. I think we're pretty far away from being a great team, but I don't think we are far away from being a good team. We were competitive in all but two games this season. 6 of our losses the past two seasons were on the final possession of the game.

What's kind of interesting is that I think today's close loss has people angrier than they would have been if it had been a blowout loss. Getting close over and over but not coming out in top is frustrating! We can see that we have opportunities, but we haven't capitalized on them enough. So instead of seeing the good things that are happening, we're focusing on the negative.

Let's say that Iowa had missed the field goal at the end of regulation. We go to overtime and pull out a win. Does the narrative change? Of course it does!

But does that really change anything about how the game was played? Not really. We'd just be focusing on different things.

So while I'm sick of losing (I used more colorful language with my buddy at the game), I can see that maybe we're not as bad as it seems. Similarly, if we had somehow won the close games and ended up 9-3 or 10-2, I'd recognize that we probably weren't as good as it seemed. At the end of the day, the record is what it is, and we have to live with it. I just think we are reasonably close to being a decent team.
I humbly disagree. We hired coach frost to coach like a top 20 coach.

he and his assistants have delivered a bottom quartile performance. This team should have won 8 to 9 games this year and would have with better coaching.

do you doubt that?

do you believe if Ohio state coaches had this team it would have only won 5 games? For my money no way.

So yeah I want accountability and competency. don’t expect miracles. Do expect improvement

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no doubt that things have been disappointing the first two seasons, but some fans seem to want to throw in the towel. I think we're pretty far away from being a great team, but I don't think we are far away from being a good team. We were competitive in all but two games this season. 6 of our losses the past two seasons were on the final possession of the game.

What's kind of interesting is that I think today's close loss has people angrier than they would have been if it had been a blowout loss. Getting close over and over but not coming out in top is frustrating! We can see that we have opportunities, but we haven't capitalized on them enough. So instead of seeing the good things that are happening, we're focusing on the negative.

Let's say that Iowa had missed the field goal at the end of regulation. We go to overtime and pull out a win. Does the narrative change? Of course it does!

But does that really change anything about how the game was played? Not really. We'd just be focusing on different things.

So while I'm sick of losing (I used more colorful language with my buddy at the game), I can see that maybe we're not as bad as it seems. Similarly, if we had somehow won the close games and ended up 9-3 or 10-2, I'd recognize that we probably weren't as good as it seemed. At the end of the day, the record is what it is, and we have to live with it. I just think we are reasonably close to being a decent team.
I think you are mistaken.
People aren’t frustrated because we’ve Come close so many times. People are frustrated because the coaches have contrived to steal defeat from the jaws of victory at least 4 times this season. This game was only the latest example of that.

From his actions, the current head coach of this Nebraska program is not quite truly interested in winning games above all else. If he was, we would have won the game last night, and a few others this season. That’s what’s frustrating and disappointing.

I think you are mistaken.
People aren’t frustrated because we’ve Come close so many times. People are frustrated because the coaches have contrived to steal defeat from the jaws of victory at least 4 times this season. This game was only the latest example of that.

From his actions, the current head coach of this Nebraska program is not quite truly interested in winning games above all else. If he was, we would have won the game last night, and a few others this season. That’s what’s frustrating and disappointing.

Your last paragraph is one of the most incorrect things I've seen on this board lately. We are all frustrated and unhappy, but wow.

This entire team has been coached into a hesitant bunch. Especially the quarterback and linebackers. The OL is finally snapping out of it with being more open to substitution. But even the OL has only mildly thawed out with respect to competition among those within the available talent pool. Where they have the efforts have paid off, because it gave an incentive for some players to go all the way to the whistle. So clearly the talent was there, the incentive was not.

The WR situation is less dire than it is stagnant. People didn't really bat an eye with the loss of Noa. The problem is, he was one of the guys breaking through the depth chart with hustle and little on coaching. Before Noa got hurt he had just began to warm up to making plays. For about seven games people had literally no confidence in the guy although he clearly had history of success. The coaches had no confidence because he didn't score well, whatever the F- that means to them. (Clearly they are poor at judging talent!) There is a big disconnect in the coaches and their ability to allow players to use the stuff in their history when they get out on the field. Less coaching up players and more confidence building, please.
The last two sentences certainly ring true to me. When I was in 8th grade our high school hired a new football coach. He was a Div II stud and all-American who earned a spot with an NFL team. For us small town kids he walked on water. This was his first head coaching job. Unfortunately he saw everyone through his prism of perfection. If you didn't look the part then he would tell you that you were not good enough to play the part. I'm sure in his mind he felt that he was setting standards that we should emulate but in reality for most of us it only served to demoralize. He was a sub-.500 head coach in the 6 years he was head coach at our school and by my sophomore year some of the best athletes refused to play football for him because his judgmental style and favoritism rang hollow. I have no clue if any of what I said is relevant to what is going on at DONU but when a team only plays one complete game and a half-dozen or so complete quarters during one season you have to question their confidence now and moving forward.

Your last paragraph is one of the most incorrect things I've seen on this board lately. We are all frustrated and unhappy, but wow.

Hard to accept, I know. But the head coach himself said they were being cute in the first half instead of trying to win the game.

You're absolutely right, a guy who played here and is now the coach doesn't want to win. If only he had the desire of the fans.
If only I said that.
I didn’t say he doesn’t want to win. I said he doesn’t want to win above all else. But please, don’t allow that pesky little detail get in the way of your analysis.

I humbly disagree. We hired coach frost to coach like a top 20 coach.

he and his assistants have delivered a bottom quartile performance. This team should have won 8 to 9 games this year and would have with better coaching.

do you doubt that?

do you believe if Ohio state coaches had this team it would have only won 5 games? For my money no f way.

So yeah I want accountability and competency. don’t expect miracles. Do expect improvement
There is a lot to be said about this post. I love Scott Frost but they have much learning ahead of them. This team did underperform in almost all areas. Fans like to blame AM but we have seen over and over some questionable play calling putting him in tough positions. Not to mention he is running for his life on almost every play.

If only I said that.
I didn’t say he doesn’t want to win. I said he doesn’t want to win above all else. But please, don’t allow that pesky little detail get in the way of your analysis.
Don't engage the trolling. He/She is only interested in misquotes, half truths, and twisting what you say. You are making the same sense Husker nation sees and no amount of attacking that message will change the reality on the field.

Where we are is right near the line that separates winners from losers. Doing the little things consistently correctly gets you from the loser side of that line to the winner side.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back