• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bought in?

I am hearing a lot about “bought in” and am looking for a definition.

Does it mean culture, system, team first attitude? ...what?

From personal experience...I wrestled from 3rd grade on...lost ALL my matches until end of my 6th grade year when I decided being raised on a farm and wrestling kids my size and age, I should be winning. so decided I would do everything possible to win a match - no matter what. Won the last 6 matches of the year and the tournament championship! ...realized you could be sound technique, strong, and quick, but without heart, mind and determination it was useless! I’m not a great athlete, but went on to win 85% of my matches and have a nice HS career.

Does this mean I finally “bought in”?

What part of “bought in” do you think is missing for this team? ...or individual players?

Last edited:
I am hearing a lot about “bought in” and am looking for a definition.

Does it mean culture, system, team first attitude? ...what?

From personal experience...I wrestled from 3rd grade on...lost ALL my matches until end of my 6th grade year when I decided being raised on a farm and wrestling kids my size and age, I should be winning. so decided I would do everything possible to win a match - no matter what. Won the last 6 matches of the year and the tournament championship! ...realized you could be sound technique, strong, and quick, but without heart, mind and determination it was useless! I’m not a great athlete, but went on to win 85% of my matches and have a nice HS career.

Hey that resembles a cousin of mine. He actually upset the heavyweight state champion in North Dakota. Not bad for a guy that didn't begin wrestling until he was half grown. Some families push their boys to start in pre-school.

Hey that resembles a cousin of mine. He actually upset the heavyweight state champion in North Dakota. Not bad for a guy that didn't begin wrestling until he was half grown. Some families push their boys to start in pre-school.
I am from NE, but many years ago...and I was a lightweight, from 98 to 119 with a lot of weight loss...stunted my growth...stand 5’ 6” with a 6’ 1” wingspan.

Last edited:

Fans have no influence on wins and losses. Arrogant to even think such a thing.

C

I would disagree to the extent that it’s obvious when a team plays at home there is a perceived advantage vs being on the road. Also, Vegas point-spreads account for this as well - so there is some influence.

I read an article a couple years ago where the influence in college is far more noticeable than in the NFL. It was discussing the reality of the maturity of NFL players to overcome a perceived disadvantage of being on the road. It was way deeper than that. with an examination of emotion vs preparation, execution etc. but it made a lot of sense.

The following isn’t part of the article that I read a while back and I will look for the link, but just for 2019:
Through 7 weeks of the NFL season, road teams are winning at a record pace and are 58-46-1 (55.7 percent) in 105 games.

Last edited:
Fans have no influence on wins and losses. Arrogant to even think such a thing.

C
I think no influence is an over statement. There are occasions in tight games where crowd noise and support is a motivating factor at the time. However, to your point of the conversation it certainly isn't playing a role in our win and loss issues with this team.

That’s right. I’ve tried to rally the troops here numerous times to no avail, and now here we sit arguing about frosted moose.
Not everyone is Captain material. It seems like youve lost half the locker room here. I need to see you put more effort into the gym. Stop going to parties after a loss. Stop knocking up volleyball players. You're too willy nilly.

Not everyone is Captain material. It seems like youve lost half the locker room here. I need to see you put more effort into the gym. Stop going to parties after a loss. Stop knocking up volleyball players. You're too willy nilly.

so you think I need to make some changes huh? A little bit of self evaluation? Go to a couple of rah-rah conferences in fancy hotels?

I would definitely be interested in it. My point is, every school has pressure. Most blue blood schools have a rabid fanbase. Why are so many successful? Again, I agree with almost everything you post I just don't think out of all the variables in play right now, that this is not at the top of the list. Just my opinion bud. :thumbsup:

I like our discussions and i'm not questioning your opinion. I certainly don't want you to agree with everything i say, that's boring. :) After looking at my post, i think i was trying to describe more if the fan base was buying into the program and not necessarily that being a cause for the losses. It has been probably 20 years since the NU fan base was mostly united in support of the program. Since then, it has been fractured and split many times, with many valid reasons for it happening.

Maybe it takes a united front to get the program going back in the right direction. I do think it was mostly united when SF was hired, but also think that true fan buy in to the process lasts more than 20 games. (actually, there was some question after 6)

so you think I need to make some changes huh? A little bit of self evaluation? Go to a couple of rah-rah conferences in fancy hotels?
I believe you should bring in a few outside consultants and maybe a couple of analysts. There is something missing in your speeches and it pains me to see you lose the locker room. There's a lot of potential in this room, and it starts with WTH, and I don't mean What The Hell.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back