• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bought in?

I think that last year especially after the last 6 games there was a total buy in. I would also say that this year before the season started the buy in was close to 100%. The husker fans that showed up in Boulder and the excitement in the program at that time was totally bought in. I question if total buy in can be lost from one poor performance. The full stadiums for every home game certainly show buy in. There were full stadiums for BC, BP, MR teams and i'm very confident there as NOT 100% total fan buy in for any of those coaches. The stadium staying full till the very end of the Ohio State butt kicking is further evidence of fan buy in.

Even through all this total buy in by the fans the team seems to be regressing every single week. Our coaches are still talking about players not bought in and I as a fan would think by this time no matter how much it hurts you if there is no buy in from a kid he should no longer be on the roster, yet alone playing every Saturday. To ask fans to be 100% "bought in" watching this product when kids in the program aren't according to the head coach and some players is certainly a lot to ask. A lot to ask, yes, but as you said, the KIDS in the program are indeed kids. The fans are mostly, MOSTLY adults who should be able to see beyond the instant gratification world and understand the process. I still think Scott Frost is the candidate most likely to bring us out of this but I am starting to wonder if it can be done at all. Thus, you are on the side that is not bought in. I keep thinking we have hit rock bottom to only feel like we are even worse the next Saturday.

I live 2 hours from Lincoln. It would be hard for me to go to a game and not have it take my entire Saturday and the cost to take my family and do a game day the way I have done it in the past would cost me around $1000. Certainly economics and devoting an entire day to watching your favorite team are things that can prevent someone from attending a game. However, it doesn't affect your "buy in" to the process one bit. I live 5 times as far away as you, so would cost me more in time and money, but i'm bought in. Call me a bad fan if you want but there is no way at this point in time I would do that to watch this and I don't think I am alone. I'm not calling you a bad fan at all, i was simply asking a question about whether NU fans as a whole were bought in to the process of re-establishing the program to greatness....not 90's greatness, but maybe starting with 80's greatness with potential improvement. Obviously you aren't fully bought in, but i'm not judging, just was wondering.

I believe you should bring in a few outside consultants and maybe a couple of analysts. There is something missing in your speeches and it pains me to see you lose the locker room. There's a lot of potential in this room, and it starts with WTH, and I don't mean What The Hell.

Nah, all they can do is fire my ass.

I dont know how to do all the fancy red print stuff so I will just have to do it this way.

1. I question if total buy in can be lost from one poor performance. - I have watched all the games so far this year and I have yet to see a team that was totally prepared, playing hard, and with only a reasonable amount of mistakes for a D1 football team. There have been a couple of good quarters here and there but there has not been one game that afterwards I would say that maybe we don't have the talent yet but we really played good today. This is not about one game at all.

2. There were full stadiums for BC, BP, MR teams and I'm very confident there as NOT 100% total fan buy in for any of those coaches. - The stadiums at the end of MR were anything but full, not even close. At the end of BC most of the games had a mass exodus at halftime. I think the fan support and attendance is amazing for where we are at right now and I would challenge you to show an example of someplace else that would still have that with the product we are seeing on the field.

3. A lot to ask, yes, but as you said, the KIDS in the program are indeed kids. The fans are mostly, MOSTLY adults who should be able to see beyond the instant gratification world and understand the process. - I believe every team in college football is comprised of kids so that in not unique to our team. How many other teams with new head coaches that are struggling have still managed to put some fight together for a game or two and at least hung around with a quality opponent. I understand this is a process but at some point in this process you need to see progress and I would love to hear what that is.

4. Thus, you are on the side that is not bought in. - I was bought in, this was the most excited for a football season that I have been for a long time. With coaches saying we are significantly ahead of where we were last year who wouldn't have been. For me it is not about the losses, it is about the quality of football and right now that is just bad. When SDSU can put together enough discipline and desire to give Minnesota a game and Nebraska can't is too much to ignore. We have 80 scholarship athletes on our team and they have 56 that werent quit good enough to play FCS football and the sum of their parts is greater then the sum of ours. That is alarming. Maybe I am not being patient enough but things show no sign of going the right way right now.

5. Certainly economics and devoting an entire day to watching your favorite team are things that can prevent someone from attending a game. However, it doesn't affect your "buy in" to the process one bit. I live 5 times as far away as you, so would cost me more in time and money, but i'm bought in. - Its not about being able to afford the $1000 its about whether it is worth it or not. The feeling I have after watching a Husker team is anything but enjoyable, even after a win right now. If I spend that much I want to see good football. I will say that I enjoyed every single football game last year even with all the mistakes and losses because you could see progress and felt hope. That is not the case this year.

6.I'm not calling you a bad fan at all, i was simply asking a question about whether NU fans as a whole were bought in to the process of re-establishing the program to greatness....not 90's greatness, but maybe starting with 80's greatness with potential improvement. Obviously you aren't fully bought in, but i'm not judging, just was wondering. -I am 100% in agreement here, I dont expect us to even be the 95 Huskers again, that was a once in a lifetime experience. I do expect us at some point to play a form of football that is enjoyable to watch and contributes to us feeling proud about the way it represents our University and our State. I didnt expect us to be 80's Huskers this year either, (I hoped we would but deal down I knew it was too soon for that) but I didnt expect us to be 80's Kansas State.

I like our discussions and i'm not questioning your opinion. I certainly don't want you to agree with everything i say, that's boring. :) After looking at my post, i think i was trying to describe more if the fan base was buying into the program and not necessarily that being a cause for the losses. It has been probably 20 years since the NU fan base was mostly united in support of the program. Since then, it has been fractured and split many times, with many valid reasons for it happening.

Maybe it takes a united front to get the program going back in the right direction. I do think it was mostly united when SF was hired, but also think that true fan buy in to the process lasts more than 20 games. (actually, there was some question after 6)
I hear you cluckin', big chicken! I'm on board with uniting! yes, we fill the home stadium, yes, we travel well, but to your point, positively uniting in support doesn't hurt to help support the program. From SF and AM press conference, the players are "now playing for each other", (which is good) but how about getting the united support, that the players also want to play for their fans! (Might even help nudge a recruit or two to the program as well) Not to mention, United in support of the program makes the Wins so much more enjoyable!!

My 11 yr old son in teaching me how to be a better fan!!. We are season ticket holders living in central Iowa. My son takes grief week in and week out when we lose from crappy Hawk and Cyclone fans, yet my son, who has never lived in Nebraska, is a die hard positive fan and perpetually looks ahead to winning "the next one". He's teaching me to be a better fan! I love finding that "kid inside" again. It makes the games (win or lose) more fun!

I must be having kind of sappy nostalgia day today Haha.

Side Note: I'm going to Maryland, and happy to unite with other fans going! Let me know!! GBR

I dont know how to do all the fancy red print stuff so I will just have to do it this way.

1. I question if total buy in can be lost from one poor performance. - I have watched all the games so far this year and I have yet to see a team that was totally prepared, playing hard, and with only a reasonable amount of mistakes for a D1 football team. There have been a couple of good quarters here and there but there has not been one game that afterwards I would say that maybe we don't have the talent yet but we really played good today. This is not about one game at all.

2. There were full stadiums for BC, BP, MR teams and I'm very confident there as NOT 100% total fan buy in for any of those coaches. - The stadiums at the end of MR were anything but full, not even close. At the end of BC most of the games had a mass exodus at halftime. I think the fan support and attendance is amazing for where we are at right now and I would challenge you to show an example of someplace else that would still have that with the product we are seeing on the field.

3. A lot to ask, yes, but as you said, the KIDS in the program are indeed kids. The fans are mostly, MOSTLY adults who should be able to see beyond the instant gratification world and understand the process. - I believe every team in college football is comprised of kids so that in not unique to our team. How many other teams with new head coaches that are struggling have still managed to put some fight together for a game or two and at least hung around with a quality opponent. I understand this is a process but at some point in this process you need to see progress and I would love to hear what that is.

4. Thus, you are on the side that is not bought in. - I was bought in, this was the most excited for a football season that I have been for a long time. With coaches saying we are significantly ahead of where we were last year who wouldn't have been. For me it is not about the losses, it is about the quality of football and right now that is just bad. When SDSU can put together enough discipline and desire to give Minnesota a game and Nebraska can't is too much to ignore. We have 80 scholarship athletes on our team and they have 56 that werent quit good enough to play FCS football and the sum of their parts is greater then the sum of ours. That is alarming. Maybe I am not being patient enough but things show no sign of going the right way right now.

5. Certainly economics and devoting an entire day to watching your favorite team are things that can prevent someone from attending a game. However, it doesn't affect your "buy in" to the process one bit. I live 5 times as far away as you, so would cost me more in time and money, but i'm bought in. - Its not about being able to afford the $1000 its about whether it is worth it or not. The feeling I have after watching a Husker team is anything but enjoyable, even after a win right now. If I spend that much I want to see good football. I will say that I enjoyed every single football game last year even with all the mistakes and losses because you could see progress and felt hope. That is not the case this year.

6.I'm not calling you a bad fan at all, i was simply asking a question about whether NU fans as a whole were bought in to the process of re-establishing the program to greatness....not 90's greatness, but maybe starting with 80's greatness with potential improvement. Obviously you aren't fully bought in, but i'm not judging, just was wondering. -I am 100% in agreement here, I dont expect us to even be the 95 Huskers again, that was a once in a lifetime experience. I do expect us at some point to play a form of football that is enjoyable to watch and contributes to us feeling proud about the way it represents our University and our State. I didnt expect us to be 80's Huskers this year either, (I hoped we would but deal down I knew it was too soon for that) but I didnt expect us to be 80's Kansas State.

1. Actually, the question was about one game. I said buy-in from fans seemed to have been lost after the Colorado game. You had already said buy-in was near 100% after the last 6 games in 2018 and the start of 2019. This thread has never been about team performance, it is about FAN BUY-IN and whether NU fans are bought into the process or not.

2. Sorry, you can't talk about full stadiums and fan support without acknowledging the sell out streak remains despite the performances under MR and BC. Can i name another place that would be selling out like NU....no, but then again, i can't name another place that would sell out over 300 games no matter if they were winning or not. Again, just because a stadium is full of fans, doesn't mean the fans are bought in.

3. Once again, this isn't about the performance of the "kids".....it is about the buy in of the adults and whether that is happening.

4. You answered this one....no, you are not bought in now. This may actually answer #1 as well, since you were apparently supportive, if not fully bought in before the season. If you were fully bought into the process then, i don't think you'd be wavering now.

5. So the dollars and experience aren't worth the reward? That is a personal choice so i have nothing to add.

6. 80's KSU? Really? If that isn't hyperbole, then you are about as far from bought-in as you can be. I would say you are nearing sold out status.

I think that last year especially after the last 6 games there was a total buy in. I would also say that this year before the season started the buy in was close to 100%. The husker fans that showed up in Boulder and the excitement in the program at that time was totally bought in. The full stadiums for every home game certainly show buy in. The stadium staying full till the very end of the Ohio State butt kicking is further evidence of fan buy in.

Even through all this total buy in by the fans the team seems to be regressing every single week. Our coaches are still talking about players not bought in and I as a fan would think by this time no matter how much it hurts you if there is no buy in from a kid he should no longer be on the roster, yet alone playing every Saturday. To ask fans to be 100% "bought in" watching this product when kids in the program aren't according to the head coach and some players is certainly a lot to ask. I still think Scott Frost is the candidate most likely to bring us out of this but I am starting to wonder if it can be done at all. I keep thinking we have hit rock bottom to only feel like we are even worse the next Saturday.

I live 2 hours from Lincoln. It would be hard for me to go to a game and not have it take my entire Saturday and the cost to take my family and do a game day the way I have done it in the past would cost me around $1000. Call me a bad fan if you want but there is no way at this point in time I would do that to watch this and I don't think I am alone.

1. Actually, the question was about one game. I said buy-in from fans seemed to have been lost after the Colorado game. You had already said buy-in was near 100% after the last 6 games in 2018 and the start of 2019. This thread has never been about team performance, it is about FAN BUY-IN and whether NU fans are bought into the process or not.

2. Sorry, you can't talk about full stadiums and fan support without acknowledging the sell out streak remains despite the performances under MR and BC. Can i name another place that would be selling out like NU....no, but then again, i can't name another place that would sell out over 300 games no matter if they were winning or not. Again, just because a stadium is full of fans, doesn't mean the fans are bought in.

3. Once again, this isn't about the performance of the "kids".....it is about the buy in of the adults and whether that is happening.

4. You answered this one....no, you are not bought in now. This may actually answer #1 as well, since you were apparently supportive, if not fully bought in before the season. If you were fully bought into the process then, i don't think you'd be wavering now.

5. So the dollars and experience aren't worth the reward? That is a personal choice so i have nothing to add.

6. 80's KSU? Really? If that isn't hyperbole, then you are about as far from bought-in as you can be. I would say you are nearing sold out status.
Lets put it this way. I love the University of Nebraska. I love every single sports program and watch them all. Men's and Women's Basketball, Football, Baseball, Softball, and Volleyball. The love started during childhood for the football team and in a way it is like a marriage for me. I still love them, I wont cheat on them with someone else, but after many years of a less then satisfying relationship I am sleeping on the couch until she changes her attitude.

With all of the talk last week about players still not being bought in and a failure to establish the culture SF needs to win, this weekend i started wondering if some of that failure is on the fans not being bought in. How taxing can it be on the players (coaches not so much, they know how this works) to hear all the negative from the fans. Some have said they are deleting or unfollowing social media. Many players have been through coaching changes (head or position) multiple times and now they hear, read, see talk of "SF just can't get it done", etc.

Maybe the UCF experience was a fool's gold and made everyone expect 13-0 or 11-2 would be easy. Rebuilding in college football is not easy, no matter the name on the uniform. Ask FSU (4-5, fired the new coach), Miami 5-4, Michigan St. 4-4, USC 5-4, Stanford 4-4, Texas 5-3, UCLA 4-5, Tennessee 4-5, Washington 5-4 just to name a few who haven't been to the depths NU has been for rebuilding, but are struggling. What about a B1G West winner from last year having ONE win this year??

CFB is a hard game and P5 football is really hard, regardless of what your "history" is. All Husker fans need to buy in to the depth of this challenge and understand there is only one way for NU to get back to any where near the success as fans want. It is going to take time.

Also, all the venting of "fans" who expect (demand?) more due to the coaches being highly paid, or "knowing what they signed up for", or a couple dozen other things i often read on the forums really, in the long run mean very little. Regardless of what these people (myself included) say about the program, the future success or failure will be determined by others. At best we can simply go along for the ride....and hopefully enjoy it as much as possible. If you get no joy out of Husker football (despite the frustration and sadness it may bring) it is probably best for our health to find other things which do give us happiness. At least until the "results" are a little more tolerable.
Nicely written. While I agree with a majority of what you wrote, it's difficult to blame the fans. I've always been a dedicated Husker fan and always will be. There are two things that Frost needs to consider. 1. Bench the guys, most likely upper class men who are lazy. Play the young fellows now. Forget about redshirts. 2. He must look closely at Chinander. You have to believe that Bill Moos will be asking similar questions. Again, I hear and read the fans, but we're just sick and tired of losing. After all, it is our money being spent.

I would disagree to the extent that it’s obvious when a team plays at home there is a perceived advantage vs being on the road. Also, Vegas point-spreads account for this as well - so there is some influence.

I read an article a couple years ago where the influence in college is far more noticeable than in the NFL. It was discussing the reality of the maturity of NFL players to overcome a perceived disadvantage of being on the road. It was way deeper than that. with an examination of emotion vs preparation, execution etc. but it made a lot of sense.

The following isn’t part of the article that I read a while back and I will look for the link, but just for 2019:
Through 7 weeks of the NFL season, road teams are winning at a record pace and are 58-46-1 (55.7 percent) in 105 games.

I think no influence is an over statement. There are occasions in tight games where crowd noise and support is a motivating factor at the time. However, to your point of the conversation it certainly isn't playing a role in our win and loss issues with this team.

I didn't think the obvious home field advantage at a game needed to be pointed out, that is something different. I am talking about the context of this thread in which fans complaining in social media, on forums, call in radio shows, OP eds, local coffee shops, water coolers, etc... have no influence on wins and loses. Some chuckle head on Hmax complaining about LB's not setting the edge and if that is a coaching issue that should be addressed is not going to cause the team to win or lose a game.

C

Some chuckle head on Hmax complaining about LB's not setting the edge and if that is a coaching issue that should be addressed is not going to cause the team to win or lose a game.

C

No question.
If I ever do that, I hope someone throat punches me. While I am not clueless about football I’m confident Coach Frost has forgotten more than I know, and while he is obviously still learning - he knows more than anyone on this board for that matter.
GBR

No question.
If I ever do that, I hope someone throat punches me. While I am not clueless about football I’m confident Coach Frost has forgotten more than I know, and while he is obviously still learning - he knows more than anyone on this board for that matter.
GBR

I'm that chuckle head.

C

Lets put it this way. I love the University of Nebraska. I love every single sports program and watch them all. Men's and Women's Basketball, Football, Baseball, Softball, and Volleyball. The love started during childhood for the football team and in a way it is like a marriage for me. I still love them, I wont cheat on them with someone else, but after many years of a less then satisfying relationship I am sleeping on the couch until she changes her attitude.

No issues with the honesty.

Nicely written. While I agree with a majority of what you wrote, it's difficult to blame the fans. I've always been a dedicated Husker fan and always will be. There are two things that Frost needs to consider. 1. Bench the guys, most likely upper class men who are lazy. Play the young fellows now. Forget about redshirts. 2. He must look closely at Chinander. You have to believe that Bill Moos will be asking similar questions. Again, I hear and read the fans, but we're just sick and tired of losing. After all, it is our money being spent.

Once again, I am in no way blaming the fans for the failures of the team. Any negative thoughts from the fans can't influence the outcome during a game. I'm simply asking if the fanbase, by and large, is bought in to enduring the process long enough to get results. Which is absolutely contrary to what has happened in recent history.

Maybe i'm naive, but i'm a little confused about your last sentence. "Our money"? If you didn't contribute a dime to the program, or buy a ticket, do you think SF would have a bit less of a salary? Unless you are a very large donor, i'm thinking not. At least for the average fan that is simply "sick and tired of losing", the money they spend is a tiny, minuscule portion of the money spent on the NU football machine. Now, if you are saying everyone should stop buying tickets and spending money supporting the program, then that is substantial non-buy in.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back