• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Schemey Schmemy

Lurker got this going in another thread, but it has me so worked up I wanted to make it a thread:

From SF"s last presser:

I agree, this drives me nuts. Are we trying to run some sort of exotic scheme on both sides of the ball to the detriment of "the basics?" If so, why? Until you can Block (or shed a block), Tackle, take good angles, play your assignment and fit your gaps THERE IS NOTHING ELSE. It doesn't do any good to stretch the defense and make them defend the whole field with exotic 'weapons' if you can't sustain blocks.

Frost has admitted relying too much on being "schemey." I am reminded of the great Lombardi teams that ran very few plays, and the defense knew what was coming, but they executed so well it didn't matter. Gain 3.333 yards 3 times. Repeat. Score a touchdown.

Also, my wife when she hears this says, "Really? Most all of these guys have been playing football since 4th grade. How is it possible that they knew how to play football in High School to the extent that we offered a scholarship but now somehow have forgotten the basics of how to play football?" I know there's more too it at the next level but COME ON!
I'll defend the coaches a bit here.... but typically bye weeks are solely predicated on back to fundamentals, tackling, assignments, etc. During the season, sometimes you get so focused on install and opponent scout that you can lose focus there. The bye week is a chance to press the reset button and get back to the basics. Tackling no matter who you are playing, setting the edge no matter who you are playing, firing out low no matter who you are playing, those take reps too.

That said, we all saw how some of our fundamentals looked against Minnesota so who knows if he meant we were slipping there. I really don't. But i'm not sure he meant they weren't a priority, maybe he just meant they were the focus this week like they are for many teams.

I don't know either way, but just my thoughts.

Would you rather him said what he's really thinking? Probably something along the lines of our upperclassmen are terrible and whoever recruited them had his head up his ass?

We knew that. Riley was a big, giant turd.

Last edited:
Right. We heard that last year. Now I'm told our woes are due to the absence of Ozigbo, Morgan, etc. As I said elsewhere, if we're laying these turds next year I'll wait for someone to tell me how much we miss one of this year's good for nothing no talent upper classmen.

Probably missing Foster and Farmer more.

No longer do I blame Riley. It's on SF and this staff and these players, and it gets down to the question of which guys win the one on one matchups. We aren't winning enough of them. I don't know enough about coaching football to know why that is, but I'm almost certain it has nothing to do with schemes, Riley, or stuff like that. Beat the guy across from you. The Minnesota Freshmen and sophomores seem to be able to do that, as do freshmen and sophomores on a bunch of teams around the country. All the coaches on this forum seem to have technical skills to discuss schemes, but how to you teach desire? Gibbs always said - you win the first three quarters on talent and the last quarter on desire. I think that's right. Beat the guy across from you.

No longer do I blame Riley. It's on SF and this staff and these players, and it gets down to the question of which guys win the one on one matchups. We aren't winning enough of them. I don't know enough about coaching football to know why that is, but I'm almost certain it has nothing to do with schemes, Riley, or stuff like that. Beat the guy across from you. The Minnesota Freshmen and sophomores seem to be able to do that, as do freshmen and sophomores on a bunch of teams around the country. All the coaches on this forum seem to have technical skills to discuss schemes, but how to you teach desire? Gibbs always said - you win the first three quarters on talent and the last quarter on desire. I think that's right. Beat the guy across from you.
The "look what Frost inherited" argument followed by "well look what we lost from last year with Ozigbo, Foster, Farmer, Morgan, Gifford, etc." always makes me cringe. We mock what Frost was given, then when we lose to Minnesota in 2019 after beating them in 2018 it's due to the guys Frost lost that he inherited.

At some point this is on the current people here. It will get better. Our ceiling is high, but our floor doesn't need to be 4-8 for 2018 and what we are trending for this year.

While the Minnesota game was really, really bad, I still have optimism that the rest of this season can be salvaged. Obviously they need to improve a lot of things during this bye week, but I still believe 7-8 wins is attainable.

While the Minnesota game was really, really bad, I still have optimism that the rest of this season can be salvaged. Obviously they need to improve a lot of things during this bye week, but I still believe 7-8 wins is attainable.
Indiana is going to be interesting. 5-2 record with Maryland on deck, "but they haven't played anyone" just like Minnesota. That's an absolute must win for Frost. If you can't win that, we are in trouble to get to a bowl game.

Indiana is going to be interesting. 5-2 record with Maryland on deck, "but they haven't played anyone" just like Minnesota. That's an absolute must win for Frost. If you can't win that, we are in trouble to get to a bowl game.

I think getting AM right and healthy is the key objective during the bye week. Vedral did a decent job against Minnesota, but I think we all saw the difference between that and what Martinez can be.

Right. We heard that last year. Now I'm told our woes are due to the absence of Ozigbo, Morgan, etc. As I said elsewhere, if we're laying these turds next year I'll wait for someone to tell me how much we miss one of this year's good for nothing no talent upper classmen.
So basically you’re going to wallow in your same bitch and moan session you started with, not discuss or debate any of the facts people have shown you, and fail to do what you already said you’d do, is that about right?

Do us all a favor there, Gizmo, say shuck it, and concentrate on out witting that Wascally Wabbit as you’ve already threatened, because football related topics are wasted on you.

The "look what Frost inherited" argument followed by "well look what we lost from last year with Ozigbo, Foster, Farmer, Morgan, Gifford, etc." always makes me cringe. We mock what Frost was given, then when we lose to Minnesota in 2019 after beating them in 2018 it's due to the guys Frost lost that he inherited.

At some point this is on the current people here. It will get better. Our ceiling is high, but our floor doesn't need to be 4-8 for 2018 and what we are trending for this year.
It's too early to know the true problem, plain and simple. If there are losses to teams like Minnesota in year 4, then I'll be worried. Right now we have to deal with what we got and trust the process.

So basically you’re going to wallow in your same bitch and moan session you started with, not discuss or debate any of the facts people have shown you, and fail to do what you already said you’d do, is that about right?

Do us all a favor there, Gizmo, say shuck it, and concentrate on out witting that Wascally Wabbit as you’ve already threatened, because football related topics are wasted on you.

Nice virtue signaling. You are a far superior fan, poster and football analyst. Why don't you just put me on "ignore" if you find my posts such a waste of your cognitive superiority. I'd hate to have you waste your time reading my drivel.

Would you rather him said what he's really thinking? Probably something along the lines of our upperclassmen are terrible and whoever recruited them had his head up his ass?
If that's the case take your lumps now and play Freshman and Sophomores. Teams building for the future do it all the time.

It's too early to know the true problem, plain and simple. If there are losses to teams like Minnesota in year 4, then I'll be worried. Right now we have to deal with what we got and trust the process.
See, I think that is part of the problem. This Husker team right now is bad-probably bordering on very bad. "losses to teams like Minnesota" to me is elitist and out of touch with current football. Nebraska is nothing more than an average football team the last 15 years or so. Minnesota is halfway through the season, has an undefeated coach, improved greatly at the end of last year, ditched a coordinator, beat WISCONSIN who thumps us every year, and appears moving in a much more positive trajectory than we are. Row the Boat coach annoys the hell out of me but he is making things happen. We haven't had the ability or right to take anyone lightly. Things change in this world and teams get better and some get worse. I would not be shocked if this Minnesota team won 9 or 10 games.

See, I think that is part of the problem. This Husker team right now is bad-probably bordering on very bad. "losses to teams like Minnesota" to me is elitist and out of touch with current football. Nebraska is nothing more than an average football team the last 15 years or so. Minnesota is halfway through the season, has an undefeated coach, improved greatly at the end of last year, ditched a coordinator, beat WISCONSIN who thumps us every year, and appears moving in a much more positive trajectory than we are. Row the Boat coach annoys the hell out of me but he is making things happen. We haven't had the ability or right to take anyone lightly. Things change in this world and teams get better and some get worse. I would not be shocked if this Minnesota team won 9 or 10 games.
Sorry, what I meant was ass beatings from teams like Minnesota. If we had lost that game but been competitive for most of it, I wouldn't be too upset.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back