• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Dr. Rob Zatechka

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
No staff is infallible, including this one. There are a lot of things they've done wrong. But people get defensive when 19 games into their tenure, fans are already talking about firing people.
Your argument isn't with me then. I have concerns but not enough evidence to say start firing people nor have I ever posted that.

I'm not disagreeing with you. But. A year a 1/2 into the new coaches and system you would think we would see the culture shaping up, you think we would see the system begin to at least work a little bit. It' has to be frustrating for the player like last week they are constantly out of position, is that on them or the coaches? Stopping the run last week. The same play ran over and over and still no adjustments to stop it. I get the mental aspect of the game but these kids were gamers coming in or they wouldn't have been recruited. When they are recruited is the mental stability also looked at. there are alot of questions I have in all of this. Maybe it will take 4-5 -6 years and I will look a fool (not new for me) But tell the fans that. Told tell the fans in the off season that we have a Lamborghini and then drive out into the stadium in a pinto. I think there is where the frustration sets in.

As Herb Brooks said

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard

I think I said Frost made a mistake talking up his team like he did in the off season in my 3rd paragraph. I think he is eating a lot of humble pie right about now.

I am just willing to let things play out this season until I get my pitch fork out. I doubt they come out and look that bad against Indiana.

I think I said Frost made a mistake talking up his team like he did in the off season in my 3rd paragraph. I think he is eating a lot of humble pie right about now.

I am just willing to let things play out this season until I get my pitch fork out. I doubt they come out and look that bad against Indiana.
Me too. 4 years from now and we are still hearing it takes time. I'll have to look for my pitchfork..I should look for it anyways with Halloween coming up.

Hockey fan.....check
A game even a monkey can play

Me too. 4 years from now and we are still hearing it takes time. I'll have to look for my pitchfork..I should look for it anyways with Halloween coming up.

It depends on what you expect in 4 years. If you expect to see a fairly solid team that wins 9 games that year you are good to go. If you expect them to win the conference and make the playoffs it will most likely take more time.

It depends on what you expect in 4 years. If you expect to see a fairly solid team that wins 9 games that year you are good to go. If you expect them to win the conference and make the playoffs it will most likely take more time.
I'll be on life support by then

Exactly! These aren’t ‘excuses’. They are valid ‘reasons’. That and no depth, and frankly pretty avg talent left behind from MR’s tenure. We have a very young team and there’s a struggle by SF and all of his coaches to start guys that, in a regular tenure, might not be starting but have to because of the talent and depth deficiency. I mean, the Huskers will probably go another year with maybe one player (Jackson) being even in consideration for the NFLdraft and B1G 1st-3rd team honors. So think of that when thinking of the quagmire that SF and his Assts got themselves into at Nebraska. Refute any of that!

I'll be on life support by then
I bet there wouldn’t be a shortage of people to pull the plug when it comes to that time. Sorry, but when it’s time to go, it’s time. Make the most while you still can.

Last edited:
I would say yes and no to this. I think he had a big problem winning them over which is a bad situation. I think MR had better personnel over all though. I think MR dropped the ball on recruiting somewhat.
MR had literally ZERO to slim but in from players but it was mostly due to him being a terrible choice as HC after a fairly successful (record-wise) of Bo. Even if Bo had run his course and had to go, MR was a .500 baffling choice with the only thing going for him being that he was a nice guy who didn’t cause problems. Almost any other HC would have been a better choice but I still think the players then would have not bought in, unless the HC was well known winner, like Urban Meyer, which we know the Huskers couldn’t ever land. Slim pickings and we still got worst possible coaching staff.

I bet there wouldn’t be a shortage of people to pull the plug when it comes to that time. Sorry, but when it’s time to go, it’s time. Make the most while you still can.
I’ll pull it myself

I absolutely said Pelini had it worse than Frost. I’m not speaking to a singular issue tho. You bring up the AD, that’s a great point (just one I may add) that leads me to my conclusion. Tom Osborne wanted to be a band-aid or a stop-gap while Nebraska found their true AD. In many ways he found the cheapest ways to do things and not make large decisions that could hurt the department when he was gone. Osborne was supportive, as is Moos, but Moos is going to bat way more for Frost than Osborne did. Pelini presented to the AD on how he needed recruiting help and more staff on many occasions from 2009 on to get on par with LSU and he was told we needed to wait until the permanent solution comes in. This is the entire premise of why I have said for years “ya, Pelini needed to go, but would have loved to see what he could do with what Riley or Frost were given.”

Again, I’m not just talking about Talent. People seem fixated on that.

I guess where I disagree then is how you talked about Pelini's immediate turnaround of sub-.500 to 9 wins. The problem you're talking about with the AD situation is more of a long term issue. The team Pelini was given in 2008 was light years better than the team Frost was given in 2018. It sounds like you're talking about more systemic issues in the program, rather than the specific team that was handed over. So yeah, I agree, it would've been nice to see what Pelini could do with more support long term, but he had great pieces to succeed in his early years.

Follow-up question... was Callahan given those resources that Pelini wasn't getting? Because it seems like Callahan was able to recruit. Was it more a situation of keeping up with the times when Pelini got there?

I guess where I disagree then is how you talked about Pelini's immediate turnaround of sub-.500 to 9 wins. The problem you're talking about with the AD situation is more of a long term issue. The team Pelini was given in 2008 was light years better than the team Frost was given in 2018. It sounds like you're talking about more systemic issues in the program, rather than the specific team that was handed over. So yeah, I agree, it would've been nice to see what Pelini could do with more support long term, but he had great pieces to succeed in his early years.

Follow-up question... was Callahan given those resources that Pelini wasn't getting? Because it seems like Callahan was able to recruit. Was it more a situation of keeping up with the times when Pelini got there?
Ya, I’m more into the systemic issue Pelini had to correct. While Pelini probably had the best talent, he was following a coach that was abolishing the walk-on program, taking down all historical pictures of greatness and replacing them with current players and NFL pics, and dealing with players recruited for the sole purpose of making the NFL. He also didn’t have the resources Riley or Frost had.

Callahan didn’t have more resources than Bo, I don’t think. Maybe he did, but that was over a decade ago so I may be wrong. Callahan did have a national recruiting analyst in his back pocket funneling kids his way too. Pelini basically just had an AD that wasn’t going to commit more than he needed to until a more permanent solution was in place. The permanent solution ended up being Eichorst so that kind of makes me laugh a bit.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back