• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What I learned this week end

Huskerthom

All Big 10
10 Year Member
1. Minnesota is better than I thought.
2. Our D seems more worried about holding up RB and trying to strip them than we are about good form tackling. I saw many occasions this week where we made first contact behind or near the line. However we were grabbing the RB around the shoulders and a second player was coming in trying to strip the ball. Look turnovers are great but we need to lower our shoulders and make sure we are in a good leverage position to tackle first. That is why all of the RBs were breaking tackles all day.
3. Those who think Vedral was the answer to all our problems...well...not so much.
4. Some "fans" on this board would rather be right about how bad they think we are then to see our team win. Never thought I would see the day. But come on folks. A fan is just a supportive after a loss as a win.

1. Minnesota is better than I thought.
2. Our D seems more worried about holding up RB and trying to strip them than we are about good form tackling. I saw many occasions this week where we made first contact behind or near the line. However we were grabbing the RB around the shoulders and a second player was coming in trying to strip the ball. Look turnovers are great but we need to lower our shoulders and make sure we are in a good leverage position to tackle first. That is why all of the RBs were breaking tackles all day.
3. Those who think Vedral was the answer to all our problems...well...not so much.
4. Some "fans" on this board would rather be right about how bad they think we are then to see our team win. Never thought I would see the day. But come on folks. A fan is just a supportive after a loss as a win.
Have to agree with all that you stated. Got to tackle then rally to the ball. Vedral is serviceable but I dont think he has AM's arm strength but to me has a quicker first step. For me as a life long fan Im here win or loose

No need to dog on players or coaches or anything else. Neebraska was a train wreck dumpster fire when HCSF took over and its going to take time. Young team young coach and staff the team is going to have ups and downs just be supportive is the best and all we can do as a fan base

I'm not a coach or former player, but I have been watching football a long time. This is what I learned:
1. Collin Miller may not be the best LB on the team, but he hustled all over the field to make tackles
2. Kade Warner isn't fast, but he's a disciplined route runner. Nebraska needs more like him.
3. Brody Belt? Good job young man. Don't know why there weren't any other backs, but good job.
4. Garrett Nelson doesn't stop running. He might be running the wrong way, but he's running.
5. Nebraska looked like they didn't belong in the same league. I'm not blaming coach Tuioti or coach Austin this year, but they have a lot of work ahead. One team looked like they were a Division 1 team, and it wasn't Nebraska.

Other than maybe one poster, who I will not name, I can't think of any that fit that fit what you claim. 99.9% of us would rather see our team win.

Otherwise, whatever your perception may be, it's really the same things going on in the forum that has been for many years. I'm not sure what day you are seeing, but it's Groundhog Day.

Other than maybe one poster, who I will not name, I can't think of any that fit that fit what you claim. 99.9% of us would rather see our team win.

Otherwise, whatever your perception may be, it's really the same things going on in the forum that has been for many years. I'm not sure what day you are seeing, but it's Groundhog Day.
That was primarily directed at one person. Who seems to take joy in being right about NE losing. That is not a fan.

That was primarily directed at one person. Who seems to take joy in being right about NE losing. That is not a fan.

I know who you are referencing. Yes, there's a fine line between negative criticism and being an arrogant, entitled prick. Someone consistently takes it too far on a regular basis.

Last edited:
I thought Vedral played pretty darn well given the situation. First start of his NU career, on the road, in the cold & wet. He was pretty decisive and made some nice plays with his arm and legs. Got killed by bad penalties and our ole tackles. But he had the offense moving early and threatening before Robinson went out. Defense spots Minny 21 points before 3 minutes are gone in the 3rd and then it's tough to make things happen when they can tee off, especialy with your main playmaker in a boot.

He played ONE game. I'd rather see him trot out again and play that way than put Martinez back in too fast if he's not 100% physically by the time the bye is over.

Last edited:
I thought Vedral played pretty darn well given the situation. First start of his NU career, on the road, in the cold & wet. He was pretty decisive and made some nice plays with his arm and legs. Got killed by bad penalties and our ole tackles. But he had the offense moving early and threatening before Robinson went out. Defense spots Minny 21 points before 3 minutes are gone in the 3rd and then it's tough to make things happen when they can tee off, especialy with your main playmaker in a boot.

He played ONE game. I'd rather see him trot out again and play that way than put Martinez back in too fast if he's not 100% physically by the time the bye is over.
AM will have 3 weeks off by the time the next game rolls around ... hopefully the time off physically and mentally is good for him!

there are so many things going wrong with the offense that it's always hard to pick out one guy, but Vedral did a solid job for his first start in some difficult circumstances.

Have to hope the team was beaten up and needed the bye week, because most of the rest of the performance was really bad

there are so many things going wrong with the offense that it's always hard to pick out one guy, but Vedral did a solid job for his first start in some difficult circumstances.

Have to hope the team was beaten up and needed the bye week, because most of the rest of the performance was really bad

I'm afraid there's no bye week fix for the OTs . . . they are both just awful. Hate to say it, but it's clear by now that neither Jaimes nor Farniok have what it takes right now to be B1G tackles. Hoping we see some of the new blood get a chance with their 4 games to burn.

Amen my weather predicting friend. We all want to win and get back to at least respectability. There has always been a certain frowning upon the folks that call it like they see it but to me it seems absurd to question their fandom. After 19 games I think we can voice our concerns and throw out a thought or two without being called a Husker Hater. I can understand why but it was certainly much more acceptable under the past regimes than the current one. Is that fair? I don't know, but I do know poor to average football when I see it and I come to this board to share those thoughts, learn from others, and at times vent. I can state with pretty much certainty that I have been critical of the inexperienced staff that Frost brought with him but understand why he did it. I also could state with a good degree of certainty that if that same staff was brought over with an outsider not named Scott Frost, there would be more folks questioning the decision. I also know I will continue to sit my ass down in front of the TV and yell and scream for the home team at every chance I get. I moved from Nebraska shortly after graduating from this fine university and miss football Saturday's in Lincoln terribly. I was the same way back in the day as I am now but unfortunately or maybe for the good of my health the losses seemed easier to stomach, that is until this year when I wasn't expecting lots of improvement but after getting spoon fed optimism fed to me even down here in Nashville, I began to buy in. This has been a very disappointing and gut wrenching season for me personally but I am still a fan and always will be.

Needs to be more rotation on d-line and probably o-line.........if the 5 o-line starters are the best they have..........then NU has serious problems.

Amen my weather predicting friend. We all want to win and get back to at least respectability. There has always been a certain frowning upon the folks that call it like they see it but to me it seems absurd to question their fandom. After 19 games I think we can voice our concerns and throw out a thought or two without being called a Husker Hater. I can understand why but it was certainly much more acceptable under the past regimes than the current one. Is that fair? I don't know, but I do know poor to average football when I see it and I come to this board to share those thoughts, learn from others, and at times vent. I can state with pretty much certainty that I have been critical of the inexperienced staff that Frost brought with him but understand why he did it. I also could state with a good degree of certainty that if that same staff was brought over with an outsider not named Scott Frost, there would be more folks questioning the decision. I also know I will continue to sit my ass down in front of the TV and yell and scream for the home team at every chance I get. I moved from Nebraska shortly after graduating from this fine university and miss football Saturday's in Lincoln terribly. I was the same way back in the day as I am now but unfortunately or maybe for the good of my health the losses seemed easier to stomach, that is until this year when I wasn't expecting lots of improvement but after getting spoon fed optimism fed to me even down here in Nashville, I began to buy in. This has been a very disappointing and gut wrenching season for me personally but I am still a fan and always will be.

If you're referencing the previous staff, if he was 13-0 at Oregon State, he can bring whomever he wants with him. Alas, he was right around .500 as always.

I'm afraid there's no bye week fix for the OTs . . . they are both just awful. Hate to say it, but it's clear by now that neither Jaimes nor Farniok have what it takes right now to be B1G tackles. Hoping we see some of the new blood get a chance with their 4 games to burn.

not sure if Jaimes is banged up from a couple of weeks ago, but if so he may have an excuse. Farniok is always going to struggle in a system like ours with relatively wide splits and without a TE next to him and/or a FB to help out. He might be better inside as others have said, but I'm not as optimistic.

There's a reason the coaches have been so aggressive in recruiting the OT's of the future. It's hard to find guys who can do what they want them to do eventually

So was it him doing well or WR doing so well that they could not focus on him?

Agree with your last sentence.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back