• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What I learned this week end

If you're referencing the previous staff, if he was 13-0 at Oregon State, he can bring whomever he wants with him. Alas, he was right around .500 as always.
Our current staff is 8-11 during their tenure at Nebraska and unless they have a remarkable finish to the end the year they will have the worst two year start to a Nebraska career since before Bob Devaney. Is it not fair to discuss or because it's Scott Frost we cannot voice a concern? I've said I understand why he did what he did by bringing his entire staff-I would do the same. I also have to voice a concern though that development doesn't seem to be visible at this time, we had no one come with any significant Big 10 experience that I can see, many are in recent promotions, and their is very little Power 5 coaching experience. If that makes me a bad fan so be it, I can live with it.

Our current staff is 8-11 during their tenure at Nebraska and unless they have a remarkable finish to the end the year they will have the worst two year start to a Nebraska career since before Bob Devaney. Is it not fair to discuss or because it's Scott Frost we cannot voice a concern? I've said I understand why he did what he did by bringing his entire staff-I would do the same. I also have to voice a concern though that development doesn't seem to be visible at this time, we had no one come with any significant Big 10 experience that I can see, many are in recent promotions, and their is very little Power 5 coaching experience. If that makes me a bad fan so be it, I can live with it.

You can discuss whatever you want. And I will say it's ludicrous to talk about replacing anyone on this staff this early.

So was it him doing well or WR doing so well that they could not focus on him?

Agree with your last sentence.

Not sure what you are asking. Are you saying that the WRs maybe played better and so Vedral had more help for a half (until Robinson went down)?

Not sure what you are asking. Are you saying that the WRs maybe played better and so Vedral had more help for a half (until Robinson went down)?
Not WRs. WR as in Wandale Robinson. What I am saying is Wandale was commanding special attention. Once he was gone they could focus on Vedral and shaking him up.

Not WRs. WR as in Wandale Robinson. What I am saying is Wandale was commanding special attention. Once he was gone they could focus on Vedral and shaking him up.

Ah. Yeah . . . Robinson going down almost certainly put a gigantic crimp in the offense. Once he was out, the already-thin options for guys who can make an impact got really small. And that was compounded by being behind.

Minny whooped us at the lines on both sides. Not sure if Robinson stayed healthy that the game would have been different. Maybe a bit closer? He was putting on a show up to that point.

Oh one other thing I forgot.
5. Mills needs to be the power runner we brought him here for and stop trying to do jump cuts every time someone gets close. He needs to lower the shoulder and hit the hole hard.

I think our offense would be about the same with Vedral or Martinez at the helm. Martinez has better arm but Vedral is quicker. I also wondered if Jaimes is not fully over his earlier injury. If Farniok is better inside then they need to move him there. We have issues inside as well. I think he would have issues inside as well. Our line play is the biggest issue right now. And it is not getting betterm

1. Minnesota is better than I thought.
2. Our D seems more worried about holding up RB and trying to strip them than we are about good form tackling. I saw many occasions this week where we made first contact behind or near the line. However we were grabbing the RB around the shoulders and a second player was coming in trying to strip the ball. Look turnovers are great but we need to lower our shoulders and make sure we are in a good leverage position to tackle first. That is why all of the RBs were breaking tackles all day.
3. Those who think Vedral was the answer to all our problems...well...not so much.
4. Some "fans" on this board would rather be right about how bad they think we are then to see our team win. Never thought I would see the day. But come on folks. A fan is just a supportive after a loss as a win.
Well said on all points, Thom.

Oh one other thing I forgot.
5. Mills needs to be the power runner we brought him here for and stop trying to do jump cuts every time someone gets close. He needs to lower the shoulder and hit the hole hard.

Here is the thing, this game was begging for Mills to get the ball about 20x. Inside zone mostly maybe from under center dives or what ever. How many carries did he have, 9 and most of that was late. Instead we start the game running Washington on inside zone. He is a great change of pace and 3rd down guy he is not an every down back.

Sometimes I think coaches get too caught up into what they want to do and how they want to play the game vs. what they need to do to win the game.

When I used to coach we always had to get on our HC who also called offense. This was 9th grade football. If we were up a couple of TD he would start calling every pass play in the playbook. After a couple of 3 and outs our DC would always look at him and say Run the Texasing ball. That would bring him back into what we needed to do to win the game.

Not saying it would have won us the game, but, I think we could have leaned on him a little more to try and get something going.

It is just too bad things got out of hand so quick in the second half. They were only down 2 scores, but you really saw who wanted it more in the 3rd quarter. Too bad that nice pass and run to Robinson gets called back on a block in the back. They score there and it is 7-14 going into half. Maybe a different game.

Last edited:
It is just too bad things got out of hand so quick in the second half. They were only down 2 scores, but you really saw who wanted it more in the 3rd quarter. Too bad that nice pass and run to Robinson gets called back on a block in the back. They score there and it is 7-14 going into half. Maybe a different game.
Yeah, it would have been 14-34. Scoring a TD there would not have helped the defense stop the run any better.

Maybe not, but a little momentum going into halftime never hurt. Football is such an effort game and a momentum game. Get a score get a stop right away in the second half and you never know.
Problem is, Minnesota got the ball to start the 2nd half, we where getting whipped on the line, and we've been so bad in the 3rd this year. I think any momentum change in our favor would have been quickly reversed.

Last edited:

1. Minnesota is better than I thought.
2. Our D seems more worried about holding up RB and trying to strip them than we are about good form tackling. I saw many occasions this week where we made first contact behind or near the line. However we were grabbing the RB around the shoulders and a second player was coming in trying to strip the ball. Look turnovers are great but we need to lower our shoulders and make sure we are in a good leverage position to tackle first. That is why all of the RBs were breaking tackles all day.
3. Those who think Vedral was the answer to all our problems...well...not so much.
4. Some "fans" on this board would rather be right about how bad they think we are then to see our team win. Never thought I would see the day. But come on folks. A fan is just a supportive after a loss as a win.
I am a true fan.....and, unfortunately, I have had a ton of practice, with the bolded, the last 15 years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back