• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Oh MO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a lot of people in this thread are projecting things onto Mo's quote that aren't necessarily there.
Looking for reasons something happened and creating a narrative. I get it. I don't think he meant what people are insinuating, he certainly didn't state it. And he's the last guy that would take the foot off the throat.

Didn't Colorado come from behind last year? I am not sure why anyone would think a game is over until the clock reads 0:00.
Not to beat a dead horse, but is that what he said, or is that what you think he meant? If you read his actual statement, he's not wrong and that is the mentality everyone wanted our team to get back to.

Staying pretty 30,000 foot response, and if you just stick with the Colorado game, I don't know if I would come up with anything others couldn't. But maybe...

1 - Outcoached
2 - We were the worse conditioned team in the 4th quarter and overtime
3 - Get Kade Warner back please, someone that can be a threat as an outside WR. People claiming missing Stanley Morgan wouldn't hurt are being proven wrong
4 - Our OL is an issue, we gave up 6 sacks to a terrible defense
5 - Adrian Martinez decision making

All of those things are something that I think can be fixed so I feel comfortable saying they need to get better, yet not panicking that they can't.
Thanks.

My concern is that this isn't the first time we've been outcoached, especially in close games. We're a young staff, I can live with young mistakes. Just need to clean some of them up going forward.

Fatigue was clear. I know it's thinner air and I've played in those types of conditions before, it does take a toll.

Get anyone that can get open and catch. WR have been a HUGE disappointment so far. Everyone knew this was a thin/young group but damn...any chance KW can be brought back?

OL is a major issue. Snaps were much better this game (until OT), but we gave up some easy sacks/pressures on nothing more than a basic stunt. And did so repeatedly.

I still think AM has too much on him re leadership. The kid just isn't ready to be the public leader for the offense. Frost screwed up forcing that on him, IMO.

Didnt we all.

The problem is, this team isnt talented enough to let up against anyone, or think they are dominating a game.
Do we know they let up? Or are we again thinking that's what he meant instead of just actually reading his quote?

Our entire premise in the weight room and on the field for some of the things we do and say is to gain the mental edge on the opponent. So now we are up 17-0 on a team at half, and the defense has given up only 74 yards on 32 plays, and we are mad at our captain for stating "we were dominating them, this game is over." That's actually the mentality we are trying to get, that no one has a shot when they are on the field against us because we are so confident. Then they come out and stop them from scoring the first 2 possessions of the 3rd quarter, and we still think that statement is an issue?

We are grasping at reasons that aren't there IMO.

Thanks.

My concern is that this isn't the first time we've been outcoached, especially in close games. We're a young staff, I can live with young mistakes. Just need to clean some of them up going forward.

Fatigue was clear. I know it's thinner air and I've played in those types of conditions before, it does take a toll.

Get anyone that can get open and catch. WR have been a HUGE disappointment so far. Everyone knew this was a thin/young group but damn...any chance KW can be brought back?

OL is a major issue. Snaps were much better this game (until OT), but we gave up some easy sacks/pressures on nothing more than a basic stunt. And did so repeatedly.

I still think AM has too much on him re leadership. The kid just isn't ready to be the public leader for the offense. Frost screwed up forcing that on him, IMO.
We've been outcoached before, and it will happen again. Look at their coaches experience compared to Frost. Frost is the right guy to get us where we need to be, but made some mistakes a couple days ago.

Fatigue was pretty clear, but it would be nice if our offense could just impose their will a bit. We can't yet unfortunately.

Start winning every game by 20 or 30 points and MAYBE it's ok! There aren't really any SAFE 17 point leads in college football today imo. I heard Belichick say any player on the Pats that mentions blowouts had better look for a different team to play on! It can change in a heartbeat as the Jets found out yesterday with their 16 point lead in the 4th quarter. This team is extremely far away from dominating anyone imo.......

As Kenny once sang... "there'll be time enough for counting when the dealings done"!
and in the first half we knew how to hold em and the second half we knew how to fold em

Agree completely as he was just being honest about what he thought at the time. I'm sure there were quite a few fans that felt the same way at halftime, me included.
you were passed out on ripple before halftime

Not to beat a dead horse, but is that what he said, or is that what you think he meant? If you read his actual statement, he's not wrong and that is the mentality everyone wanted our team to get back to.

The internet leaves a lot of room for interpretation, which is not always a good thing. I like Mo, heck I like the team and think things will get better. Just not sure you say (whatever you mean by it) what he said.

Do we know they let up? Or are we again thinking that's what he meant instead of just actually reading his quote?

Our entire premise in the weight room and on the field for some of the things we do and say is to gain the mental edge on the opponent. So now we are up 17-0 on a team at half, and the defense has given up only 74 yards on 32 plays, and we are mad at our captain for stating "we were dominating them, this game is over." That's actually the mentality we are trying to get, that no one has a shot when they are on the field against us because we are so confident. Then they come out and stop them from scoring the first 2 possessions of the 3rd quarter, and we still think that statement is an issue?

At this point i think a better mentality would be

It Ain’t Over Till It’s Over

Grasping at what? Mo thought the same thing I did at half. Not mad at him for saying it. Are you trying to argue that the players did NOT get complacent to some extent and then the pucker factor took over when it began to snowball?

This is the same pattern that has been repeated over and over for a decade and a half. The quicksand...to reference The Replacements.

We need some experience closing some games out so it becomes a habit. Right now the “habit” is...We’re ahead, how can this go wrong? Oh, no, it’s going wrong, how do we stop it? Here it goes again...

On the conditioning piece . . . I think you cannot overlook the altitude combined with the heat with a hearty helping of offensive ineptitude dooming the Blackshirts in the 4th qtr. The "Mile High" factor is real. So yes, the defense was gassed--but the team who trains all day long at altitude--all other things being eaqual or nearly equal--has a distinct advantage and it showed.

we just dont have 11 guys on offense or defense that are committed to doing their jobs as perfectly as they can on every single play for 4 quarters. some are not there from the start, some mentally get lazy when we get a lead, some will never develope a love for making the perfect block or the perfect tackle. taught leadership skills can never out trump the love of winning in every single play. participation ribbons are what a lot of these players strive for and may not ever figure out the full gift they have been given.
Which ones? Doing your job perfectly on each and every play is too much to be expected of any player. Saying they are not committed to their craft and desire to play at the highest level is a rather presumptuous comment to make from the guy watching from his couch. Sometimes you just get beat and just maybe we aren't coached as well as we thought or have all the talent we have been told we have. I said this in the summer for weeks that though we were greatly improved the last half of the season we still were hanging out hats on losses and 4 wins that in the scheme of things were not that impressive. All I can do is hope that SF is the answer and we can move the needle on the recruiting front. We are not there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back