• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Oh MO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
rather than go on and on with you. please point out just where i said they quit. facts please. whiffing on blocks or tackles dose not show lack of effort, it dose show lack of effectiveness. 5 olinemen standing 3 yds downfield and the ball carrier tackled at the los dosent show lack of effort, it shows very poor execution and perhaps understanding. at some point even the naive have to throw up there hands and say wth
You backpedaled heavily. Lack of effectiveness, poor execution, and lack of understanding I can get on board with. These are all comments you just now made That’s not what you said in your initial post.

I’m still not buying the altitude angle. When does CU surprise with their place in the standings in the Big 12 or Pac 12? If there was a 17 pt comeback due to altitude, that kind of advantage would always move you up several pegs in the standings, over the course of a season. Don’t forget that being at altitude helps when you are at sea level too. Olympic athletes train at altitude to gain advantage wherever the Games are being held. They will also shave their eyebrows for a hydrodynamic advantage. It may account for a tiny amount of what happened. When have you ever heard of a prognosticator using it as a reason? It is nothing but an excuse when losing a 17-0 halftime lead.
For those that say we are misinterpreting his statement, how are we to take “I thought it was over with.”

I don’t mind that quote. He thought they were dominating and it was gonna be a blowout the way they were killing them.

Absolutely.

I don't think too many people in the stadium didn't think it was going to be a blow out. 30 minutes of dominance like we haven't seen against a P5 team in a long time.

Absolutely.

I don't think too many people in the stadium didn't think it was going to be a blow out. 30 minutes of dominance like we haven't seen against a P5 team in a long time.
And then, the accommodation of the routine “tearing out of the fan base hearts”.

I’m still not buying the altitude angle. When does CU surprise with their place in the standings in the Big 12 or Pac 12? If there was a 17 pt comeback due to altitude, that kind of advantage would always move you up several pegs in the standings, over the course of a season. Don’t forget that being at altitude helps when you are at sea level too. Olympic athletes train at altitude to gain advantage wherever the Games are being held. They will also shave their eyebrows for a hydrodynamic advantage. It may account for a tiny amount of what happened. When have you ever heard of a prognosticator using it as a reason? It is nothing but an excuse when losing a 17-0 halftime lead.
For those that say we are misinterpreting his statement, how are we to take “I thought it was over with.”

Altitude does impact performance:

BOTTOM LINE:

Altitude affects an athlete’s performance. Teams who practice at sea level tire 20 percent faster and transport 10 percent less oxygen in their bodies when they compete in Denver.

But a team’s overall ability matters too. Altitude gives mile-high teams an edge, but it can’t win games.
https://www.9news.com/article/news/...fect-the-outcome-of-sports-games/73-514443034

Some of you would have a problem with TO in 1997 and Frank in 1999 because they made epic comebacks in those games although they fell short, Actually they just missed a Chipshot field goal in 99 or would’ve beat us
In both of those games, our HC went into a shell (FS did it anytime he ever got a 17 point lead) and nearly got beat by inferior teams. In those instances. like this past Saturday, the closeness of the game was a direct result of poor game day coaching. Very little, if anything to do with altitude.

TO rarely went into a shell, but we were ranked #2 that year and it was late in the season. TO likely thought our defense would hold well to retain our #2 ranking, which would get us one step closer to the playoff game. Hopefully, SF wasn't going into an FS-like shell and the offense just needs more fine tuning.

Last edited:
In both of those games, our HC went into a shell (FS did it anytime he ever got a 17 point lead) and nearly got beat by inferior teams. In those instances. like this past Saturday, the closeness of the game was a direct result of poor game day coaching. Very little, if anything to do with altitude.

TO rarely went into a shell, but we were ranked #2 that year and it was late in the season. TO likely thought our defense would hold well to retain our #2 ranking, which would get us one step closer to the playoff game. Hopefully, SF wasn't going into an FS-like shell and the offense just needs more fine tuning.
I didn’t say it was the altitude, just pointing out big comebacks by a team with a lot of pride. You could also point to the UCLA game in Lincoln 6 or so years ago or, when we beat Ohio State in 2011.

Some of you would have a problem with TO in 1997 and Frank in 1999 because they made epic comebacks in those games although they fell short, Actually they just missed a Chipshot field goal in 99 or would’ve beat us

I was at that game. Felt like a rout from play 1. Entire second half was quicksand. Are we gonna blow it? We’re not gonna...yep, we’re gonna freaking blow it! From where I was sitting, no way they would miss that FG.

This felt pretty similar...

I think you are onto something.... there's always going to be interpretation especially based on who said what. Heck, i'm doing it just taking his comments at face value rather than thinking there was more to it. I think since it came from Barry, I have no doubt in my mind we didn't let off the gas defensively. If it would have came from another member, it may have given me more pause. But Mo Barry doesn't have anything left to give after football games, he's the defninition of effort.
Well put. His just saying he thought they were going to smash them doesn't mean he or anyone else became complacent. It's just a pure hearted man who gives his all looking for an explanation after the fact, and even looking if possible for ways to blame himself, because his smart instincts know the path to improvement is to seek responsibility and accountability.

I saw no complancey or quit in anyone frankly, that isn't the problem here, at least not yet. And I don't think we'll get to that point either. I fully expect the coaches to get a handle on this and make sure this year is another year of improvement, even if it isn't as fast as I and many hoped.

We've been outcoached before, and it will happen again. Look at their coaches experience compared to Frost. Frost is the right guy to get us where we need to be, but made some mistakes a couple days ago.

Fatigue was pretty clear, but it would be nice if our offense could just impose their will a bit. We can't yet unfortunately.
Yep, and by the way, I really like the frank and non-hysterical way you put this very reasonable critique of Frost. Understandably given Frost's unique background in husker nation, this can be a delicate subject for many. But it doesn't have to be, as you just showed.

Almost everybody gets beat in some way and to some degree sometimes, even if they are very strong. Growth and maximizing performance is just seeing it, working hard, working effectively, and willing improvement into happening. Frost appears to have great potential and the ability to improve. If he's not yet perfect, that's not on a sin. For us in a way it's a bonus because we get to watch him get better. It's fascinating and gratifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back