• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fire Bill Moos

Because that is bad hockey. If you can't check then it is not hockey.

I disagree.

The international game allows little of the mucking about you’ll see in NHL hockey and is actually a better game. I like the physical aspect of the NHL because it’s closer to the brand of hockey I could play. I didn’t have the puck handling skills or the speed to compete with the good players so all I could do is deny the puck, redirect players if I couldn’t keep them from the puck or punish them if not.

Now no question men’s hockey is on a different level than the women’s game, but much like basketball, it’s actually a purer form of the game than the men’s pro game.

Just my two cents.

Biggest money losers in men's sports:
Baseball; 114 teams lost $1.029 mil total
Hockey; 16 teams lost $1.028 mil total

Seven Women's hockey teams lost a total of $1.65 million, a total loss surpassed only by the $2.3 million that 129 women's BB teams lost.

Now, I realize that NU is an exception in the revenue area, where even women's BB and VB are in the black. But would we be willing to take the chance that hockey would make money as well? It would take a huge investment just to find out.

... Sorry to add so much seriousness to a sarcastic thread...

Last edited:
They can have UNO's hockey team and they have to take Trev with it.

I'd rather see ladies figure skating become a collegiate women's sport than to pretend women collision sports are a good thing. How about a collegiate lingerie arena football program? Sounds wonderful.
I'm with ya on all but "take Trev with it". I hope he never gets close to DONU athletic dept.

Surprised there's not more talk about the UNO-UNL Agreement. The Mavs scrapped football so they wouldn't compete for in-state kids. Huskers agreed to not sponsor hockey so that UNO can continue to dominate.

Gotta remember priorities here. For Moos, job #1 and job #2 are fixing Husker football and basketball. With Frosty and Freddy still being pretty young in their tenures, Moos is probably spending the lion's share of his time on those areas.

Give it a couple seasons. If we bring home a B1G football title and actually win a couple March Madness games, I think you'll see them start to revisit the issue of hockey. It's a Big Ten staple sport. But Moos doesn't want to pick a fight with UNO until he's got our moneymaker sports firing on all cylinders.
Just curious, do you have a link to this agreement? I didn't know one was officially in place. Not trying to be a jerk by asking for a link, just interested in the subject...

Seven Women's hockey teams lost a total of $1.65 million, a total loss surpassed only by the $2.3 million that 129 women's BB teams lost.

Now, I realize that NU is an exception in the revenue area, where even women's BB and VB are in the black. But would we be willing to take the chance that hockey would make money as well? It would take a huge investment just to find out.

it’s ok but what that report did not show was the contributions to the program. Students fees. All other contributions that add to the over all revenue.
I would imagine that adding it all up sure there would be some losses which i would also imagine would help come tax time

I disagree.

The international game allows little of the mucking about you’ll see in NHL hockey and is actually a better game. I like the physical aspect of the NHL because it’s closer to the brand of hockey I could play. I didn’t have the puck handling skills or the speed to compete with the good players so all I could do is deny the puck, redirect players if I couldn’t keep them from the puck or punish them if not.

Now no question men’s hockey is on a different level than the women’s game, but much like basketball, it’s actually a purer form of the game than the men’s pro game.

Just my two cents.
Europe model with bigger ice you better be able to skate. You tie up 2 3 players on the boards. It’s a break away.

I played center and wing. Pure hockey where you can just skate and feel the poetry of the game form around you is amazing

Last edited:
it’s ok but what that report did not show was the contributions to the program. Students fees. All other contributions that add to the over all revenue.
I would imagine that adding it all up sure there would be some losses which i would also imagine would help come tax time

“Tax time”?

Ice Hockey on average loses $3M per year in net revenue - men's and women's combined.

I suspect Nebraska could be better than that but it would ludicrous to bet that on net the two could break even. Why add a new high cost sport that at best it would break-even?

Ice Hockey on average loses $3M per year in net revenue - men's and women's combined.

I suspect Nebraska could be better than that but it would ludicrous to bet that on net the two could break even. Why add a new high cost sport that at best it would break-even?
better for fans than paying x coaches millions?

i thought it changed when addressed by congress in 2006 my bad

As far as I know, as long as the activity falls under the umbrella of the ‘academic mission’ revenue is tax exempt. And the umbrella is really big. :)

like UND. It was the alumni that built the 100 million dollar mecca

As far as I know, as long as the activity falls under the umbrella of the ‘academic mission’ revenue is tax exempt. And the umbrella is really big. :)
after reading. You right!

Are you saying that 16 men's teams together lost the $1.028 mil? If so, then did the remainder of the 60'ish men's teams operate at a profit? There are certainly more than 16 men's and seven women's hockey teams in the NCAA. The report that you are citing is not complete.

https://www.uscho.com/standings/division-i-men/

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back