• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tim miles has been fired

If we pay a below average salary then of course we want MORE than our money's worth That is what we have been doing since forever. We hope for a buy low guy that will overachieve and so far it has failed every time. You have to be lucky for that strategy to work and by now it's time to just put price on a lower priority and get a more sure thing. IDK if Moos has that same strategy or even if it's up to him or people above him. Either way yes we need stop being tight asses. It all goes together. If we fire and hire new, at least do it for something that is proven and not another hail mary on the cheap.

o k aaa yyyy

You mean kind of like firing FS to hire BC?? Agree with your statement....hiring a poorer coach wouldn't be a good thing. Doesn't look like that will happen, but if it did, BM would be a pretty short timer.

That's a hindsight observation. BC wasn't a mid major conference coach hired on the cheap. Or even a hail mary on an assistant hire.

That's a hindsight observation. BC wasn't a mid major conference coach hired on the cheap. Or even a hail mary on an assistant hire.

You must have some information that I'm just not familiar with. Is there a specific job site that only has P5 Head Coaches schools can shop at? I mean you seem to be under the impression that hiring a assistant is some crazy 'hail mary', or digging into the mid majors is something only 'loser' schools do. This suggests there is somewhere schools can just reach in their wallets and find a P5 coach who is a winner, and I'm just familiar with this special coach shopping place.

Do you like Frank Martin? He oddly started as an assistant at 3 schools, then got a hail mary to coach at KSU. Didn't do too bad. How about John Calipari? An assistant at 2 schools before getting a shot at a non P5 school that just happened to make it to a Final 4. Roy Williams, an Assistant coach for 10 years. Rick Barnes, an assistant at 5 schools, and then coached at 2 non P5s before he got to the big time. If you want, I'll just continue to pile up the fact that all of these 'great coaches' started as an assistant or came from a mid major, but the point has been made. There are really only 5 ways to find a coach:

-You promote one of your own assistant coaches. It's rare, as it is usually only successful when the HC retires.
-You hire an assistant from outside. Or as some see it, a hail mary.
-You hire a former head coach who was terminated. Someone else's cast off.
-You hire a mid major coach. A cheap guy looking for advancement.
-You poach someone's current coach in what should be an upgrade in job opportunity. And expensive guy looking for a pay day.

I'm not sure where you feel we should be shopping, but I'd be very interested in that special place.

His pay was 1.5mil his first 4 years. How does that rate for opening contracts?

7 years ago for a mid major hire? It was pretty solid. Don't try to revise things, he was basically doubling his salary with his new position, and there were bonuses and perks in that 1.5, so in his most successful year, he got closer to 2 million. Again, how many making less than Miles were returning much better on the investment schools were making with them?

You must have some information that I'm just not familiar with. Is there a specific job site that only has P5 Head Coaches schools can shop at? I mean you seem to be under the impression that hiring a assistant is some crazy 'hail mary', or digging into the mid majors is something only 'loser' schools do. This suggests there is somewhere schools can just reach in their wallets and find a P5 coach who is a winner, and I'm just familiar with this special coach shopping place.

Do you like Frank Martin? He oddly started as an assistant at 3 schools, then got a hail mary to coach at KSU. Didn't do too bad. How about John Calipari? An assistant at 2 schools before getting a shot at a non P5 school that just happened to make it to a Final 4. Roy Williams, an Assistant coach for 10 years. Rick Barnes, an assistant at 5 schools, and then coached at 2 non P5s before he got to the big time. If you want, I'll just continue to pile up the fact that all of these 'great coaches' started as an assistant or came from a mid major, but the point has been made. There are really only 5 ways to find a coach:

-You promote one of your own assistant coaches. It's rare, as it is usually only successful when the HC retires.
-You poach someone's current coach in what should be an upgrade in job opportunity. And expensive guy looking for a pay day.

I'm not sure where you feel we should be shopping, but I'd be very interested in that special place.
Stated so much better than I could have done. :nod: Thank you. :Rockon:

7 years ago for a mid major hire? It was pretty solid. Don't try to revise things, he was basically doubling his salary with his new position, and there were bonuses and perks in that 1.5, so in his most successful year, he got closer to 2 million. Again, how many making less than Miles were returning much better on the investment schools were making with them?

:Rockon: :Mfclap:

I thought I made it clear that I have this view because we ALWAYS AND ONLY hire on the cheap. Only mid major guys.

Nee - yup
Collier - yup
Sadler - yup
Miles - yup

How about we mix it up and hire a more of a sure thing is my point.

Last edited:

It's irrelevant how much more it was that his previous pay at CO State... In his last year Miles was making a good and fair amount, read my previous reply to see my point

Nee - yup
Collier - yup
Sadler - yup
Miles - yup

I don't have a problem with what you are saying in principle. I think Nee was the coach that Byrne wanted to hire - but he didn't have crazy moneybags or a program to sell. He did have a team that just made the tournament and an opening because the coach quit. That's the last time that Nebraska got the coach the wanted.

In 2000, Nebraska tried to get Tulsa's coach to come to Lincoln, but he went to Champagne-Urbana instead. Bill Self. Barry Collier had done good work at Butler, but maybe his assistant would have been a better hire (Thad Matta).
In 2006, Collier quit in the summer to become Butler's AD. Nebraska had to scramble and found Doc Sadler, which was a pretty good get for a last second hire.
In 2012, Nebraska was rumored to be in on John Groce early - Groce went to a better program in Illinois. UNL ended up with a pretty decent hire in Tim Miles.

So you want a break from the past: if Moos hires Fred Hoiberg, UNL will be hiring their first choice, and not losing out to texassing Illinois for a head coach again. That's pretty much the best one can hope for. If it isn't Hoiberg, at least Illinois isn't hiring this season. Yet.

Last edited:
I thought I made it clear that I have this view because we ALWAYS AND ONLY hire on the cheap. Only mid major guys.

Nee - yup
Collier - yup
Sadler - yup
Miles - yup

How about we mix it up and hire a more of a sure thing is my point.

So, all those examples of extremely successful coaches, all who came from the Assistant ranks, and most who took a turn in the Mid Majors means nothing? So your contention is we need to focus on someone's cast off, or try to outbid someone and convince them we are a step up? Just for grins, give me a couple of guys you think we can poach who are currently successful P5 guys?

It's irrelevant how much more it was that his previous pay at CO State... In his last year Miles was making a good and fair amount, read my previous reply to see my point

Your contention is he was some low ball guy at 1.5, and I'm telling you the salary was anything but low ball 7 years ago, and especially not for a guy coming from the mid majors, or if he'd been a high profile assistant. I'm really confused as to what you are wanting us to focus on? If your only thought is trying to steal a coach from say Texas Tech, or South Carolina, I'd give that up, that bidding war would get absurd. If you are saying Mike Anderson, or another coach cast off, I'm OK with looking at that, but he was only making 2.5, and I wouldn't see him meriting a hire salary since he was just fired for not meeting expectations. Or is that not paying enough?

And actually, his former pay does matter, because suggesting we were 'going cheap' ignores we probably wouldn't have had to pay as much as we did to entice him to Nebraska. Most people looking for a step up in their career don't expect a double in salary.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back