• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

An ex Husker star with insight on next MB HC?

I can't imagine anyone complaining about Fred Hoiberg. But then again, there's always someone.

He really should be on the top of anyone's wish list. But he might be the least attainable. I tend to think Moos would (or has already) reach out to him regardless.
I was on rivals and people were saying they didn’t want him, really threw me for a loop because I thought everyone wanted him.

We’ve reached out.

He could be the program changer, but I think he has other aspirations.
Just a guess, but I think the biggest thing against Hoiberg is he would be a short term coach. At this point, I believe he would be gone if someone else really wanted him. Nebraska isn't a big enough basketball name school to hold him if a bigger name came along.

Just a guess, but I think the biggest thing against Hoiberg is he would be a short term coach. At this point, I believe he would be gone if someone else really wanted him. Nebraska isn't a big enough basketball name school to hold him if a bigger name came along.

I'd never let that get in the way of hiring Hoiberg. It's not like any recent hires have we wished would have been longer term. You really never know. Let's say Hoiberg comes to Lincoln, brings NU their first-ever NCAA Tournament win, then he bolts. Okay, he's still the mayor in Lincoln, in addition to Ames. I'd take that. Who wouldn't want Hoiberg to come to Lincoln and bring the greatest success this program has had? Even if he departed for a bigtime program after only four years in Lincoln. Yep, I'd take it. Heck, such success might be enough to attract a solid replacement. Or, he realizes he's turned a Big Ten school into a winner, and wishes to ride it out long-term (especially knowing it's close to home).

LOL -- way ahead of ourselves. If Hoiberg is the best option and willing to come to Lincoln, you take it without exception. (But again, I give that very little chance of happening.)

Last edited:
There may be a great catch out there that we dont know about or that has been brought up here but I would say that there are 3 guys that would all be great catches if Moos could convince them to come:
1 - Lue, for reasons i've argued already
2 - Hoiberg, because hes proven he can do it (see ISU) and might be attracted to the idea of coming back to small midwest, to build a program from scratch that would all be his own, in a town where he was born, close to family and in the footsteps of his grandpa. Not saying he would do it, but the possiblity is there.
3 - Altman. For obvious reasons. Now i get the (altman aint coming crowd) but unless you know him and I dont, we dont know his heart. maybe, just MAYBE he wants his last coaching gig to be where he could retire back home and turn NU around. would be a great finish for him. not saying he would but you never know

All 3 would be great options here at NU IMO

The same holds true for Lue. If he is successful he will bolt for greener pastures. Just because it is your school means nothing. Hoiberg left ISU for a bigger gig.

NU would definitely win the press conference with Lue! I've stated it before that he was not big on player development in the NBA. However, if he had a good staff he could make some noise. As tough as recruiting is in college, it is nothing like the toll the NBA season takes on a guy. Getting to your next location at 2:00am and then back up for a coaches meeting at 7:00 can wear a guy out like nothing. I think he would be similar to Avery Johnson at Alabama. Just by his name alone and the social media presence of current NBA players, he could infuse talent immediately.

Many of you may disagree, but one of the biggest recruiting disadvantages NU faces is being an Adidas school. The shoe culture is real and young kids check out the Association every night to see what guys are wearing on their feet. The kids want that swoosh on their shoes.

Does that Change with the Duke guy blowing out his shoe?

1. Why can't Nebraska win at basketball?
2. If you can't be assured the next coach is better than Miles, or can fix #1, pass.
3. If Lue weren't a Husker, would he even get a second look?

Recruiting may change dramatically if the NBA actually changes the minimum age for the draft to 18. At least some of the 1 and done kids will go straight to the draft.

NU would definitely win the press conference with Lue! I've stated it before that he was not big on player development in the NBA. However, if he had a good staff he could make some noise. As tough as recruiting is in college, it is nothing like the toll the NBA season takes on a guy. Getting to your next location at 2:00am and then back up for a coaches meeting at 7:00 can wear a guy out like nothing. I think he would be similar to Avery Johnson at Alabama. Just by his name alone and the social media presence of current NBA players, he could infuse talent immediately.

Many of you may disagree, but one of the biggest recruiting disadvantages NU faces is being an Adidas school. The shoe culture is real and young kids check out the Association every night to see what guys are wearing on their feet. The kids want that swoosh on their shoes.
How does Kansas even survive wearing Adidas? I think this is overinflated as to reasoning why a kid chooses a school.

2. If you can't be assured the next coach is better than Miles, or can fix #1, pass.

1. The school didn’t try or care for a long, long time. It now does, kind of I guess. The practice facility was long overdue and the PBA is nice. Still question of how much the athletic department cares considering Miles has been on a perpetual hot seat for 3 straight years. We are about to see how much they care with this hire.

2. Next coach could very well be worse. I still think we have to try and not accept a poor basketball program.

3. Not a chance. You could argue the same for Scott Frost though. We are lucky he is a Nebraska guy.

How does Kansas even survive wearing Adidas? I think this is overinflated as to reasoning why a kid chooses a school.

I do think Nike is much larger in the world of basketball and I have no doubt that some recruits view a Nike school in a different light. I don’t think it’s as big as advantage as people think. If a kid is that shallow you probably don’t want him in your program anyway.

There are no guarantees in life. Most like to think fondly of Nee, but in reality, he was worse than Iba. I’d rather take a risk for a reward, than stand pat and see apathy in the fan base. As for Lue, how is he that much different than Altman? Would we normally target a guy who is a riding 9 seasons at a P5 school, and was in the Elite 8 and Final 4 in the last 4 years?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back