• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

An ex Husker star with insight on next MB HC?

I'm not gonna say Lue is a slam dunk hire but:
Anyone we hire short of coach K is going to bring reservations. If we hire Lue and your upset cuz you want someone whose proven he can win and recruit at college level? Umm yeah, TM was hired because of that (see csu) as was Collier because of his success at Butler. So don't tell me it has to be that.
You want a big name? We probably can't get that right now.
So IF we've got a guy who took a team to an NBA final and coached LeBron and understands the game and NU challenges well and wants to come here....that's a great hire! You want a no risk hire? Take a swing at Bill Self again, give it a try!! Lol
I get the argument you might have someone you'd rather have but with where we are as a program, Lue brings credibility, recruiting process and experience. Wish we hired someone more of what YOU want, that's fine but don't try and convince anyone this isn't a great hire regardless, if it happens!

We don't know if Miles is done here yet! He needs to be but you never know. Is the athletic dept. ready to write a big check for men's basketball? We were ready for the big commitment for football. We have always been fairly conservative and thrifty. We will have to pay at least as much as Miles makes now and up from there. I hope we are prepared to do this!

I'm not gonna say Lue is a slam dunk hire but:
Anyone we hire short of coach K is going to bring reservations. If we hire Lue and your upset cuz you want someone whose proven he can win and recruit at college level? Umm yeah, TM was hired because of that (see csu) as was Collier because of his success at Butler. So don't tell me it has to be that.
You want a big name? We probably can't get that right now.
So IF we've got a guy who took a team to an NBA final and coached LeBron and understands the game and NU challenges well and wants to come here....that's a great hire! You want a no risk hire? Take a swing at Bill Self again, give it a try!! Lol
I get the argument you might have someone you'd rather have but with where we are as a program, Lue brings credibility, recruiting process and experience. Wish we hired someone more of what YOU want, that's fine but don't try and convince anyone this isn't a great hire regardless, if it happens!

Agree. A lot of the people who would berate that hire aren’t basketball guys anyway. They are the same people who want a football staff of all ex-Huskers probably too.

What’s laughable is suggesting that was my only measuring stick. Based on your really childish replies, you may want to just sit back and give your mouth a rest from your series of foot insertions.
I believe it was you that asked why we did or did not want Lue. You don't have to like my answers. Sorry, not gonna be quiet. This one was tongue in cheek, but the others were just my opinion. Like it or not. Sorry, no acquaintances in the NBA. But I was in Houston when the all star game was there. I think that qualifies me because I saw a couple players. Besides, we are talking about the NCAA here, not the NBA. We aren't getting the players who are a sure thing or close to it as seniors in high school for making the NBA. Sure, many have the dream. But I'm interested in being a solid NCAA program.

If I'm going out into the wide world to find a coach, Tyronn Lue is a pretty good one to find. It does remind me a little of Erstad and Callahan, which could put you off. Erstad was the returning hero, successfui pro interested in coaching. I don't know how Erstad is going to turn out, but so far I think he's done pretty well for not coaching before. With Callahan, he was a ring-wearing pro coach who was a great positional coach and a good coordinator, not a good HC. I don't think either one of these cases really matches Lue. He's a cerebral coach, young, played in the league a long time because he knew his role and helped others play theirs. And he was a players coach in Cleveland in a difficult situation.

He can definitely do worse than Nee and Miles - but I don't think he would. Who is this other candidate? Hoiberg?

If I'm going out into the wide world to find a coach, Tyronn Lue is a pretty good one to find. It does remind me a little of Erstad and Callahan, which could put you off. Erstad was the returning hero, successfui pro interested in coaching. I don't know how Erstad is going to turn out, but so far I think he's done pretty well for not coaching before. With Callahan, he was a ring-wearing pro coach who was a great positional coach and a good coordinator, not a good HC. I don't think either one of these cases really matches Lue. He's a cerebral coach, young, played in the league a long time because he knew his role and helped others play theirs. And he was a players coach in Cleveland in a difficult situation.

He can definitely do worse than Nee and Miles - but I don't think he would. Who is this other candidate? Hoiberg?
Altman, Hoiberg, Lue. All have their pros and cons. I’ve heard people complain about all 3.

Really good options in my opinion for what our basketball program is.

Last edited:
Altman, Hoiberg, Lue. All have their pros and cons. I’ve heard people complain about all 3.

In addition to those 3, Musselman, Figger, Sanchez, Marshall, there is a pretty solid group of possibilities that could bring some unique qualities to the program. Are they guaranteed successes? Obviously not, but they all bring resumes that show they’ve had success.

Personally, I like things about all the guys people have tossed out...well, beyond Rick Pitino.

In addition to those 3, Musselman, Figger, Sanchez, Marshall, there is a pretty solid group of possibilities that could bring some unique qualities to the program. Are they guaranteed successes? Obviously not, but they all bring resumes that show they’ve had success.

Personally, I like things about all the guys people have tossed out...well, beyond Rick Pitino.
I like all the candidates listed: I was talking about a candidate that was mentioned as being contacted and passing already. An attempt by me to get into the "know" because I'm clearly out of it.

Last edited:
I was just joking about Petino. :Lol:

I don’t think Erstad and Lue are that similar outside of they were ex-Huskers. Lue has a ton of coaching experience, Erstad had none.

I like all the candidates listed: I was talking about a candidate that was mentioned as being contacted and passing already. An attempt by me to get into the "know" because I'm clearly out of it.
It’s purely a guess, but I think the ‘pass’ was one of the top 3.

I can't imagine anyone complaining about Fred Hoiberg. But then again, there's always someone.

He really should be on the top of anyone's wish list. But he might be the least attainable. I tend to think Moos would (or has already) reach out to him regardless.

We don't know if Miles is done here yet! He needs to be but you never know. Is the athletic dept. ready to write a big check for men's basketball? We were ready for the big commitment for football. We have always been fairly conservative and thrifty. We will have to pay at least as much as Miles makes now and up from there. I hope we are prepared to do this!

I'll just say, if Miles isn't done after this season, Moos has failed.

(99.9% chance he's gone.)

If Miles were to return, it would have a disaster in the making. Going from his most talented and experienced team this season to probably his least next season (at least in experience). Next season's team would be doing really, really well to make the NIT -- with a quality head coach. With Miles, it could very well be a 10-win type of team at best. And, we'd likely see the attendance at Pinnacle erode as interest wanes, which is never a good thing. At least a new coach would create some interest (potentially a lot of interest with a good hire). IMO, there is no better timing than now to bring in a new head coach. We need the fresh start rather than watching a sinking ship.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back