• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jerry Kill on PJ Fleck

I don't know if he is a Douche or not, but he is definitely a unique individual. The article describes him as a can of Red Bull dressed in maroon. That is pretty accurate. I mean look at that picture, that is how he shows up at every PC, dressed in a very dapper suit. He is very conscious of his image. Always wears a tie on the sideline etc. I doubt he has a dip in like SF does.

I like to go home for lunch during the FB season and on Mondays and Tuesdays the B1G network shows coaches PC for the week. The guy talks a mile a minute and half of what he says is just double talk bull shiet. Think Diaco mixing in the word elite a lot.

I think he will wear thin with fans rather quickly if he doesn't really win some games. His shtick would never play at most P5 schools.

edit: The article mentions that he worked under Greg Schiano at Rutgers. Schiano has a lot of the traits Fleck has, just not nearly as intense about it. I remember when he was at Rutgers they had some sort of mantra like "Row the Boat". It wasn't that particular saying, but it was a similar mentality of all pulling together.
You see that suit and see dapper. I see it and think who shot the couch?

I know at NU the players are schooled on the advantages and disadvantages of being a high profile athlete. I used to give the presentations. They have to understand that in today's media they are convicted by the court of public opinion and those detractors are thrilled with the opportunity to say I told you so. Unfortunately if the claim is false they cannot get their reputation back. The risk of being famous or a football star in this case. On the other side if they are guilty, put them out to pasture.

I thought highly of Kill, overall, and the loyalty that his staff showed him tells me a lot about what he's like when nobody else is watching.

For me, the jury is still out on Fleck as a person, but I'm convinced that he's a pretty good football coach. Apparently I'm more concerned than others that he's going to be successful at Minnesota. I see his schedule this year, and I look at how they played the last half of the season last year, and I think that they're worth a long-shot bet to win the B1G West. They'll have about the best crossover schedule with only Penn State (at home), and no certainty how Penn State is going to fill some of their players' positions who graduated. They have Nebraska and Wisconsin at home, too. Road games at Iowa, Northwestern, and Purdue aren't exactly terrifying. I don't think anyone gets through the West without a loss, so if they hang in there and beat whoever else is at the top, they could win it.

Last edited:

my favorite PJ Fleck moment was at this years game in Lincoln, which happened to by my sons first live Husker game.

We tailgated, ate, drank had a good time, talked with folks heading into the stadium and all is fine. I don't remember when it was, but something happened on the field and Fleck went postal, running up and down the sideline having a complete out of body experience. My son says:

Son: 'Dad, who's the moron in the ketchup and mustard outfit running up and down the Minnesota sideline?'

Me: 'That's their coach. PJ, something or other.'

Son: 'Hmmm. If he keeps freaking out about everything like that and wearing that outfit, he won't last long.'

my favorite PJ Fleck moment was at this years game in Lincoln, which happened to by my sons first live Husker game.

We tailgated, ate, drank had a good time, talked with folks heading into the stadium and all is fine. I don't remember when it was, but something happened on the field and Fleck went postal, running up and down the sideline having a complete out of body experience. My son says:

Son: 'Dad, who's the moron in the ketchup and mustard outfit running up and down the Minnesota sideline?'

Son: 'Hmmm. If he keeps freaking out about everything like that and wearing that outfit, he won't last long.'

I kept referring to him as "clown shoes" the entire game because of his ugly yellow shoes. I don't think Ronald McDonald would even justify wearing those :Biggrin:

Fwiw, I think that we agree on all of the above, but the way that the university handled it was to punish everyone, then look into the details. When everything came out, yes, it seemed pretty damning. I don't even like expressing that much of an opinion on these things, though, because there's always the possibility that something else will come to light later that completely flips the perspective of what happened.

If I was a head coach in that situation, I would fight hard for my players to be given due process. The team strike seemed like an ill-thought out idea that they went with too quickly.

I'm totally with you on this as well. What's interesting is that there was a proposed 'racial' element to the dismissals and those players have since sued the university for how they handled it claiming that white players have not been suspended for similar accusations. Definitely a messy situation to say the least.

I kept referring to him as "clown shoes" the entire game because of his ugly yellow shoes. I don't think Ronald McDonald would even justify wearing those :Biggrin:

He did look a little bit like Ronald, running up and down the sidelines. Total goober.

FWIW, he’s quoted as saying his sideline attire is a personal tribute to Mike Nolan and Jim Tressel (he served on both staffs), given that he believes he wouldn’t be where he is today without their support.

Personally, I’ll never criticize a man for choosing a tie vs. a sweatshirt hoodie, but that’s just me.

Given the tone of Kill’s remarks about “his first wife,” I’m inclined to believe that he (Kill) feels TC was treated unfairly, and therefore finds fault with most things regarding the Gophers program. There was a lot of weirdness surrounding the Gopher Athletic department (e.g. Norwood Teague) during that timeframe.

PJ lost a son shortly after birth due to a heart condition. So he’ll always have my sympathies in that regard.

Last edited:

tenor.gif

You deserve more likes for this.

I was at this past years game to. There were two young men sitting next to me that were Minnesota fans. It was clear that Coach Fleck's deal was growing old on them. They made the comment about "King P.J." insisting on wearing yellow to make sure everyone can see him and requiring all of his assistants to wear maroon.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back