• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jerry Kill on PJ Fleck

The gif usage or the movie reference? Because the former is a well used gif; the latter is a terrible movie, one might argue it is the PJ Fleck of movies.
giphy.gif

I am sorry but statements like this always make me laugh. The guy coached less than a half season as the DC. In situations like this it is often more about match ups than the DC took over and a week later they are better. For instance on the surface you would look at their game against Wiscy and our game against Wiscy and say. See they did better than us. which is true but why? Well we were not very good at stopping the run especially early in the season. Additionally HCSF and staff obviously noticed that they were petty good at stopping the run. So early in the game he threw the ball around to get them on their heals. Then he used misdirection running to keep them on their heals. Whereas Wiscy is more can your big guys beat my big guys?
I understand your point, but are we not doing something similar in praising Nebraska and Frost based on the late season successes? Granted, he wasn't replaced before the on field improvement became apparent, but it's not hard to say NU wasn't a very good football team for half the year.

In the case of Minnesota, they did play pretty solid defensive football from the Purdue game on. I'll agree that the matchups for them against say Georgia Tech and to a lessor degree Wisconsin, should have been better than their matchups against Nebraska or Purdue, but even those two games have greatly varying results. In this case I actually do think they've found a good DC. Don't know what they bring back from a player perspective, but in comparison to their early season 2018 performance, it looks to me like they've found something.
Sorry @Huskerthom but I have to agree with @CrabHusker on this. The new DC was not only very good, he replaced one who seemed lost. I watched the Wisconsin game with Minnesota and their bowl game with Georgia Tech, and I then went back and watched highlights of their other games: the new DC had players in proper alignment, making quicker, better reads, flying to the ball, and just looking like an all-around better, different team. I'm sincere when I say it made me increasingly nervous about Nebraska playing them as I watched more.

If it was as simple as you say--better matchups--they should have crushed Illinois. They didn't because they were clueless in how to line up against them, and then whenever someone was out of position, the Zone Read found him, and it was off to the races. It's A LOT harder to line up correctly against Wisconsin and Georgia Tech, yet they were almost never out of position in those games. That's good coaching and good preparation.

Hopefully, he gets tired of Fleck and gets a HC job soon.

Sorry @Huskerthom but I have to agree with @CrabHusker on this. The new DC was not only very good, he replaced one who seemed lost. I watched the Wisconsin game with Minnesota and their bowl game with Georgia Tech, and I then went back and watched highlights of their other games: the new DC had players in proper alignment, making quicker, better reads, flying to the ball, and just looking like an all-around better, different team. I'm sincere when I say it made me increasingly nervous about Nebraska playing them as I watched more.

If it was as simple as you say--better matchups--they should have crushed Illinois. They didn't because they were clueless in how to line up against them, and then whenever someone was out of position, the Zone Read found him, and it was off to the races. It's A LOT harder to line up correctly against Wisconsin and Georgia Tech, yet they were almost never out of position in those games. That's good coaching and good preparation.

You know I respect your opinion and I will give you that he may have been better at predicting the right alignment to get into. I just do not believe that the D coordinator change one week to the next can completely change the D. So we will have to agree to disagree on this.

I am sorry but statements like this always make me laugh. The guy coached less than a half season as the DC. In situations like this it is often more about match ups than the DC took over and a week later they are better. For instance on the surface you would look at their game against Wiscy and our game against Wiscy and say. See they did better than us. which is true but why? Well we were not very good at stopping the run especially early in the season. Additionally HCSF and staff obviously noticed that they were petty good at stopping the run. So early in the game he threw the ball around to get them on their heals. Then he used misdirection running to keep them on their heals. Whereas Wiscy is more can your big guys beat my big guys?
No need to apologize. I'm just using stats.

In 4 games before they changed coordinators they gave up an average of 42 points per game (Illinois, Indiana, Nebraska, Ohio State). The average the next four after the change 14.75 (Purdue, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Georgia Tech).

You are saying coaching had nothing to do with the turn around. I'm calling BS on that. They were clearly rowing harder and faster for the new guy.

I don't know if he is a Douche or not, but he is definitely a unique individual. The article describes him as a can of Red Bull dressed in maroon. That is pretty accurate. I mean look at that picture, that is how he shows up at every PC, dressed in a very dapper suit. He is very conscious of his image. Always wears a tie on the sideline etc. I doubt he has a dip in like SF does.

I like to go home for lunch during the FB season and on Mondays and Tuesdays the B1G network shows coaches PC for the week. The guy talks a mile a minute and half of what he says is just double talk bull shiet. Think Diaco mixing in the word elite a lot.

I think he will wear thin with fans rather quickly if he doesn't really win some games. His shtick would never play at most P5 schools.

edit: The article mentions that he worked under Greg Schiano at Rutgers. Schiano has a lot of the traits Fleck has, just not nearly as intense about it. I remember when he was at Rutgers they had some sort of mantra like "Row the Boat". It wasn't that particular saying, but it was a similar mentality of all pulling together.
I think it was “Keep Chopping “

You're seeing a lot of what I'm seeing. Again, a few games does not a great DC make, but I liked what I saw. Didn't like the thought so much that he might really have them squared away when Nebraska travels up there this year, but the rest of the team still stands a chance to be a mess.

You're seeing a lot of what I'm seeing. Again, a few games does not a great DC make, but I liked what I saw. Didn't like the thought so much that he might really have them squared away when Nebraska travels up there this year, but the rest of the team still stands a chance to be a mess.
While it goes against all recent experience, I'm more concerned about Minnesota next year than Wisconsin or Iowa. That's partly because it will look worse to lose to them, but that was a dang good team at the end of the year.

While it goes against all recent experience, I'm more concerned about Minnesota next year than Wisconsin or Iowa. That's partly because it will look worse to lose to them, but that was a dang good team at the end of the year.

We're in agreement again. Minnesota finished as strong as Nebraska did and looked better on defense doing it. They have some pieces on offense, but don't seem to know exactly what they want to do. Wisconsin lost a lot on the line and never seems to have much in the skill position pool other than running backs. Iowa has to come back to earth at some point, given Ferentz' career history, so why not next year?

Count me in this boat as well. I'm not a Fleck fan. I think the guy is a used car salesman masquerading as a social media celebrity who happens to coach football. I think he caught lightning in a bottle with his new DC and Minnesota played like a completely different team after the switch.

I agree with everything you said ... if I was the head coach ... I would tell would my players that in the court of public opinion you are guilty until proven innocent and therefore you have to make a greater effort to avoid these instances of possible controversy. Walk away before it may become a problem. Have the maturity and wisdom to get ahead of these situations. If something happens I will support you and be there for you but you will be off the active roster until the legal process plays out. Don't put yourself, the team, your teammates or your coaches in a position to have to choose sides.

At the high school I coach at the girls bball senior captain got wind of a party that several of her teammates were attending. She went to the party got everyone of those girls out of there even though they went not engaged in anything inappropriate. Later that night the cops busted the party and every athlete there got suspended. Not one girl athlete got in trouble.

Hmm...who called the cops?

Late to the party, but Fleck is a Class 4 douchebag. He's the pretty boy all the girls date at the beginning of every teen romance/comedy film. His birth name is probably Chaz or Chad or Chadz. The guy who rents a Lambo to impress his date and then stiffs the Uber driver the next night. Dine and ditch. Cuts old women in the express lane at Target. Brings a honey ham over to dinner at his Jewish girlfriend's parents. Wears three polos on top of each other and pops all three collars. Calls in sick to work and then rats you out for taking a long lunch.

This guy is a walking bad movie trope. He has a s**t eating grin and a punchable face.

Late to the party, but Fleck is a Class 4 douchebag. He's the pretty boy all the girls date at the beginning of every teen romance/comedy film. His birth name is probably Chaz or Chad or Chadz. The guy who rents a Lambo to impress his date and then stiffs the Uber driver the next night. Dine and ditch. Cuts old women in the express lane at Target. Brings a honey ham over to dinner at his Jewish girlfriend's parents. Wears three polos on top of each other and pops all three collars. Calls in sick to work and then rats you out for taking a long lunch.

This guy is a walking bad movie trope. He has a s**t eating grin and a punchable face.
My favorite post of 2019. And it is not even close.

So you're a fan then. Good deal.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back