• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Jerry Kill on PJ Fleck

I think its just two guys from different generations not understanding each other. Youth and ego go hand in hand... Age and wisdom do as well.

Both good guys, but just at different stages of life imo.

Did I read it correctly that coach Kill was upset about his predecessor being fired for supporting the players accused of sexual assault? IIRC there was a pretty detailed account of what several players were accused of doing, and it was very reprehensible.

Did I read it correctly that coach Kill was upset about his predecessor being fired for supporting the players accused of sexual assault? IIRC there was a pretty detailed account of what several players were accused of doing, and it was very reprehensible.
Yeah, and they were basically all convicted and punished without much (if any) opportunity to defend themselves. I don't know the details of what exactly upset him, but that was what upset Claeys.

This seems to be a reoccurring hot point of debate on these threads. I think that we pretty much all agree that if someone s3xually assaults (I have to use characters due to censors at work) someone, throw the book at them. It wasn't that long ago that we executed people for that sort of thing, and I'm open to arguments to bring that back. Can't we also all agree that being accused of that sort of thing is also a horrific thing if the person being accused is innocent? A person I greatly admired killed himself as he was about to graduate from college because he couldn't take the stress of being accused of something similar. After he was dead, the girl admitted that she had made it up. It happens.

This is something that we don't want to have any Type A errors or Type B errors. If a coach is making excuses for someone who is guilty, that's reprehensible. If a coach disciplines a player who is innocent but was falsely accused, how much better is that? It takes Solomonic wisdom sometimes.

Last edited:

Yeah, and they were basically all convicted and punished without much (if any) opportunity to defend themselves. I don't know the details of what exactly upset him, but that was what upset Claeys.

This seems to be a reoccurring hot point of debate on these threads. I think that we pretty much all agree that if someone s3xually assaults (I have to use characters due to censors at work) someone, throw the book at them. It wasn't that long ago that we executed people for that sort of thing, and I'm open to arguments to bring that bad. Can't we also all agree that being accused of that sort of thing is also a horrific thing if the person being accused is innocent? A person I greatly admired killed himself as he was about to graduate from college because he couldn't take the stress of being accused of something similar. After he was dead, the girl admitted that she had made it up. It happens.

This is something that we don't want to have any Type A errors or Type B errors. If a coach is making excuses for someone who is guilty, that's reprehensible. If a coach disciplines a player who is innocent but was falsely accused, how much better is that? It takes Solomonic wisdom sometimes.
I agree with everything you said ... if I was the head coach ... I would tell would my players that in the court of public opinion you are guilty until proven innocent and therefore you have to make a greater effort to avoid these instances of possible controversy. Walk away before it may become a problem. Have the maturity and wisdom to get ahead of these situations. If something happens I will support you and be there for you but you will be off the active roster until the legal process plays out. Don't put yourself, the team, your teammates or your coaches in a position to have to choose sides.

At the high school I coach at the girls bball senior captain got wind of a party that several of her teammates were attending. She went to the party got everyone of those girls out of there even though they went not engaged in anything inappropriate. Later that night the cops busted the party and every athlete there got suspended. Not one girl athlete got in trouble.

This seems to be a reoccurring hot point of debate on these threads. I think that we pretty much all agree that if someone s3xually assaults (I have to use characters due to censors at work) someone, throw the book at them. It wasn't that long ago that we executed people for that sort of thing, and I'm open to arguments to bring that back. Can't we also all agree that being accused of that sort of thing is also a horrific thing if the person being accused is innocent? A person I greatly admired killed himself as he was about to graduate from college because he couldn't take the stress of being accused of something similar. After he was dead, the girl admitted that she had made it up. It happens.

I 100% agree with you. I've worked with people who were falsely accused and it is incredibly damaging psychologically, socially, and often professionally. The case at Minnesota was was pretty damning if you read any of the 80-page summary. https://www.twincities.com/2016/12/...-assault-allegation-football-players-defense/
People say the lack of prosecution means she was lying, but her account is very specific and she didn't have any motive to claim what she did. Also, It is incredibly difficult for prosecutors to find guilt in sexual assault cases. 9% of cases are ever referred to prosecutors, and of all allegations only 5% lead to felony convictions and 4.6% result in prison time.

I 100% agree with you. I've worked with people who were falsely accused and it is incredibly damaging psychologically, socially, and often professionally. The case at Minnesota was was pretty damning if you read any of the 80-page summary. https://www.twincities.com/2016/12/...-assault-allegation-football-players-defense/
People say the lack of prosecution means she was lying, but her account is very specific and she didn't have any motive to claim what she did. Also, It is incredibly difficult for prosecutors to find guilt in sexual assault cases. 9% of cases are ever referred to prosecutors, and of all allegations only 5% lead to felony convictions and 4.6% result in prison time.
Fwiw, I think that we agree on all of the above, but the way that the university handled it was to punish everyone, then look into the details. When everything came out, yes, it seemed pretty damning. I don't even like expressing that much of an opinion on these things, though, because there's always the possibility that something else will come to light later that completely flips the perspective of what happened.

If I was a head coach in that situation, I would fight hard for my players to be given due process. The team strike seemed like an ill-thought out idea that they went with too quickly.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back