• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hiking 2.0

FB_IMG_1540425501927.jpg
any need to carry? On your hikes

Okay, so, I haven't talked a lot lately about my hikes. Well, I've had several hikes over the past 7 days and am happy that 3 of 4 hikes kicked my ass. Freel Peak, Yosemite NP - North Dome, and Mt. Tallac. The total elevation gain was 6621 feet, 27 total miles and a total of 10 hours and 27 minutes of actual active time. Freel is the highest peak in the Tahoe Basin at 10881 and we climbed a somewhat modest 1200 feet, with most of that climb, about 1,000 feet of it in the last mile. Mt. Tallac we climbed today, we gained 2992 feet of elevation. The good news, my knees held up very well. 520

Last edited:

Well, here is a lesson for you kids out there. When planning on a long solo hike, where a protein packed lunch is a necessity, make sure you actually pack it before you leave and take off on the trail. LOL.... I had a really long hike planned today, and when I got to my lunch rest and nestled into a large rock to get out of the wind, and unzipped my back pack, I realized that I had "NO LUNCH" at all. DOH! I had water, but ZERO FOOD! ZERO! OOPS!

However, I did have a fine hike today, albeit a shortened one. 12 miles, 3,572 feet of elevation gain, two peaks, 4 hours and 43 minutes total hiking time. Roughly 5 hours and 20 minutes total. Got some pretty cool pics too.... 532.

After some really cold temps(21F) and some heavy duty winds, gusts up to 50mph, I had to cancel out a planned 3 peak hike, as it's basically to dangerous to be up on some of those peaks in that kind of wind. Being this close to winter, snow can happen at any moment around here, but the wind is a real drag with other wise clear skies. Shooting for next week.

Last edited:
Coaching football derailed my training for the most part over the fall and summer. My gf and I did a 54k ultra in early September in the coulies of Southern Alberta which made for some amazing portions of the course but also a lot of dull spots as well.

Now the snow is here so it's winter hiking and cross country ski time in the mountains. Now the battle is picking the right weekend to drive the 3 ish hours to the mountains. There's freezing rain happening tonight.

For now the local river valley will have to do as well as my amateur cell phone photography skills

Attachments

• IMG-20181108-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20181108-WA0001.jpeg
    837.6 KB · Views: 133

Curious if anyone here has hiked in Big Bend National Park? Considering a spring break trip and wondering about temps in early March and logistics to get there.

Curious if anyone here has hiked in Big Bend National Park? Considering a spring break trip and wondering about temps in early March and logistics to get there.

I know plenty of people who have. But alas, I have yet to venture out there. Maybe in 2019. I hike quite a bit in Texas, but mostly Central Texas.

Anyhow, all of my friends in Austin who have been rave about Big Bend -- and inevitably make multiple returns -- as it's such a huge park with so much to take in. And some of the little towns not far from there are fantastic as well.

March is typically a great month to visit Texas. Though if you can push it a week or two later, you'd be better off. I say that because the abundant Texas wildflowers typically get going mid-to-late-March. Obviously, not necessary -- but definitely huge additions to the scenery. Granted, the spectacular canyons are always present.

I'm not sure how to tell you the best way to get there. You'll obviously have to drive a good chunk of it. I do know cell phone reception is limited to none in Big Bend.

Bagged that 3 peak today. I've been trying to hike it for a bit, finally, got it.... 3,881 feet total gain, 11.1 miles in 5 hours.... kinda slow for me, but it was harder going down, than it was going up.... my knees felt it today.... I got it though.... 543

I took a friend out today on a nice 7 mile hike, not overly strenuous, but gives a pretty good work out. When we started out, it was 36 degrees, no wind and sunny. Within the first mile, I was shedding my flannel as it warmed up quickly. We hit 55 degrees, which is pretty warm for me at this elevation. However, after a very nice hike, I left my cell phone on top of my vehicle and promptly drove off. Realized only after I got home as to what I had done, backtracked and found it in the middle of the road. It had been run over, no telling how many times and was dead where it laid. I started a thread about advice on a new cell phone..... any who.... 7 miles today, gets me to 550. Happy hiking trails all.....

here's some winter canadian 'hiking' we did last weekend in Canmore, Alberta
it was -28C when we started. we were out there for about an hour. about 7km out and back. some other guys we met in the parking lot were doing the whole trip to Banff which was 18km one way. they take a bus back to Canmore after which lets you bring your skis on board with you.

20190203_121903.jpg
20190203_125126.jpg
IMG-20190203-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20190203-WA0002.jpg

here's some winter canadian 'hiking' we did last weekend in Canmore, Alberta
it was -28C when we started. we were out there for about an hour. about 7km out and back. some other guys we met in the parking lot were doing the whole trip to Banff which was 18km one way. they take a bus back to Canmore after which lets you bring your skis on board with you.

View attachment 20522 View attachment 20523 View attachment 20524 View attachment 20525
That's awesome. I am not very good with Km versus miles, so I had to use an online conversion and realized that both Thursday and Friday, I went snow shoeing roughly the same distance Thursday, and slightly longer Friday. I seen what looked like the tops of Rabbitbrush poking through the snow, and stepped off to the side of it, and hit a hollow spot and sank down to over my belly button. I had to laugh, even though it was jolting. I was able to work my way out fairly easy, with my poles but it's still a shock when you all the sudden sink about 3 + feet. LOL.... Still not sure how to add photo's since HM went to this format. Love your pics by the way.

One other thing, 32 F is 0 C, but when I did the conversion online, -28 C = -18.4 F, not sure that I get that. My temps were 27 F Thursday and 31 F Friday. Quite a bit warmer than your cross country skiing.

Next time I'll put it in miles. We use both up here when doing activities or the races I run in. The ultra marathons are usually measured 50km, 50 miles, 100 miles and nobody seems to think it's unusual that we cross over like that.

It's been pretty cold here lately. About -25C for the daytime high and anywhere from -30 to -35 at night.
They actually cancelled the huge annual Birkebeiner ski race this weekend because of the cold. Left about 1000 skiers without something to do this weekend. Definitely not very Canadian of us.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back