• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hiking 2.0

That's awesome. I am not very good with Km versus miles, so I had to use an online conversion and realized that both Thursday and Friday, I went snow shoeing roughly the same distance Thursday, and slightly longer Friday. I seen what looked like the tops of Rabbitbrush poking through the snow, and stepped off to the side of it, and hit a hollow spot and sank down to over my belly button. I had to laugh, even though it was jolting. I was able to work my way out fairly easy, with my poles but it's still a shock when you all the sudden sink about 3 + feet. LOL.... Still not sure how to add photo's since HM went to this format. Love your pics by the way.

One other thing, 32 F is 0 C, but when I did the conversion online, -28 C = -18.4 F, not sure that I get that. My temps were 27 F Thursday and 31 F Friday. Quite a bit warmer than your cross country skiing.

We hiked a mountain last spring and the same thing happened to us. It was a warm sunny day so I was in shorts and a t-shirt but the higher we got the more snow we came across and some of it was up to our hips

We hiked a mountain last spring and the same thing happened to us. It was a warm sunny day so I was in shorts and a t-shirt but the higher we got the more snow we came across and some of it was up to our hips

Same goes for storms. We joined a ranger-led hike at Glacier N.P a few years ago, carrying our rain gear in daypacks. During the lunch stop at Iceberg Lake, the ranger said he was ready to head back in a few minutes; but, since it is an easy single trail, everyone was welcome to stay as long as they like and come back on their own. He then proceeded to put on his rain gear with what seemed like a clear, blue sky above. We looked around and saw the dark clouds heading our way; so, we quickly followed his lead. Many others were left to hike back in the shorts & tee shorts as a cold HAILSTORM came through!

Last edited:
We got over 2 feet of snow last night, luckily, it was mostly powder and only took me about an hour to dig out this morning. I believe our total is roughly somewhere between 6 and 7 feet of snow over the past week. Supposed to be sunny tomorrow, and then we are bracing for another big storm Wednesday, with snow showers possible through at least Saturday.

Last night was white out conditions heading home, so it was slow going. Hope to get in some more snow shoeing this coming week, but will have to play it by ear and see how the conditions play out. Awesome!!!!

Hinton Feb 19-3.jpg

Hinton, AB is about 50 miles northeast of Jasper just outside the national park. usually we just drive thru on our way to the mountains, but today we explored the nordic centre there. the snow was amazing and we skied about 9 miles with approx 1200 feet of elevation gain over the 2 hours.
we came across this hut near the end of the ski that overlooks a valley with a great view of the mountains in the distancView attachment 20901
Hinton Feb 19-2.jpg

View attachment 20901

Last edited:

Winter Hike in the Rockies...went to Jasper last weekend and hiked/skied about 11 miles to a back country hut in the Fryatt Valley. it's usually done on backcountry skis, but we used cross country which had mixed results at best. on the way out we ended up hiking the whole way with our boots and spikes on. the trail was about two feet wide, but if you slid off you were in snow up to your thighs. at the end of the trip in is a frozen waterfall that you climb up about 600 vertical feet over the course of a 1/2 mile. it was an adventure to say the least. we would definitely go back again, but next time we would take back country skis.

the view to the east side of the valley
fryatt3.jpg

coming up to the headwall
fryatt6.jpg

the headwall was a serious grind
fryatt8.jpg

on the headwall the snow made some cool layers
fryatt10.jpg

made it back out and had to call the avalanche patrol to come open the gate so we could get out. they had closed the highway south because of avalanche risk
fryatt11.jpg

Did some hiking at Umstead Park last weekend, will do it again this Saturday. Not the same as when I was in AZ and going up mountains. I miss mountains to hike on.

Still trying to rehab my knee. I blew it out about 6 weeks ago, and still trying to get back to where I can get out for a real hike. But these pics are awesome @canadianhusker thank you for sharing these.

Did some hiking at Umstead Park last weekend, will do it again this Saturday. Not the same as when I was in AZ and going up mountains. I miss mountains to hike on.

Still trying to rehab my knee. I blew it out about 6 weeks ago, and still trying to get back to where I can get out for a real hike. But these pics are awesome @canadianhusker thank you for sharing these.

You're a short 2.5 hours away from good mountain hiking, my friend.

You're a short 2.5 hours away from good mountain hiking, my friend.

Absolutely.

A ton of great trails up in the Pisgah and Cherokee National Forrests not to mention the Great Smokies and AT. As a side benefit, most trips home can also include a stop at a microbrewery.

I will have to check those out. Maybe I was just spoiled, but I had awesome trails (albeit in the desert) that were only 10 minutes away. Two and a half hours? I may need to make a weekend of that.

20190529_110253.jpg

Urban hiking????
Every Wednesday morning in the summer we run the stadium stairs of the 60,000 seat stadium here in Edmonton.
That's me in the grey shirt literally pulling my butt up to the top of row 90 in the upper deck on race day. The sunrise view is worth it and it definitely helps on the real hikes.

Just got these babies today. Will put them to test tomorrow on a very steep, very rocky hike. I am wearing them tonight to kinda "break them in" but I don't think it's going to be a problem at all as they feel great and the tread/grip is already amazingly evident.
X ULTRA 3 GTX
This hiking shoe is easy on the way up, even better on the way down.
  • Foothold
  • Stability and cushioning
  • Grip

Find a store

Last edited:

Just got these babies today. Will put them to test tomorrow on a very steep, very rocky hike. I am wearing them tonight to kinda "break them in" but I don't think it's going to be a problem at all as they feel great and the tread/grip is already amazingly evident.
View attachment 24822
Nice shoes. I had the hightop version of those. They were super durable. Unfortunately I bought them right on size and after a couple of hours my feet would feel too cramped in them so I had to donate them.
Salomon is a great brand. They are narrow in the toe box though I find.

Last weekend's hike with a bit of a scree scramble.
Mount Hamell in Grand Cache.
6929' at the top. About 3000' of climbing over 4 miles
We did about 4200 ft of climbing that day over 18 miles of running/hiking. This was the main ascent.
Grande Cache is a mining town about two hours north of Jasper National Park. Because it's outside the national park not a lot of people go there.
They hold an annual ultra marathon there in August called the Canadian Death Race which is 125km long and has about 17,000 ft of elevation gain including summiting Hamell. My gf is running it this year which is part of the reason we went up there.

Attachments

• IMG-20190622-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20190622-WA0002.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG-20190622-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20190622-WA0010.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 123

Last weekend's hike with a bit of a scree scramble.
Mount Hamell in Grand Cache.
6929' at the top. About 3000' of climbing over 4 miles
We did about 4200 ft of climbing that day over 18 miles of running/hiking. This was the main ascent.
Grande Cache is a mining town about two hours north of Jasper National Park. Because it's outside the national park not a lot of people go there.
They hold an annual ultra marathon there in August called the Canadian Death Race which is 125km long and has about 17,000 ft of elevation gain including summiting Hamell. My gf is running it this year which is part of the reason we went up there.
WOW! Great photos. That looks totally awesome. I soloed a hike this past Friday to a lake called Burnside, 10 total miles of out and back. The first mile was relatively flat and so was the final mile, but the 3 miles in between, 2411 feet of elevation, with 63 switchbacks with the highest point a modest 8208 feet. The Salomon's were amazing and the grip coming down the granite was incredible. Total time of my hike was 3 hours and 26 minutes. I spent only a short time at the lake as I had things to do later that night. Started out from an area called Grover Hot Springs in California.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back