• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Brenda Tracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a completely different situation. Philips was guilty and paid his price to society and TO still suspended him for 7 games, and only allowed him back after he completed a nearly impossible laundry list of requirements. TO took an active role in trying to help rehab LP.

It's shameful to even speak TO's name in the same sentence as Riley.
And TO was well aware that LP was a danger to mckeown and did nothing more than tell him to stay away. It was a different time. But the same actions and same result today would land NU in a heap of trouble and TO would be out of a job.

And how do you see Tom Osborne in the prism of Lawrence Phillips?

How do I see Tom Osborne in the prism of Lawrence Phillips... ??? Great question. Let's start with this... Tom Osborne didn't fail for 18+ years to say a single thing to Kate McEwen. Instead, he spoke to Kate before the incident, and after the incident. He'd warned Kate to stay away from Lawrence, and Lawrence to stay away from Kate. Tom Osborne didn't ride his bike around Lincoln for eighteen years, pretending it didn't happen, or that it was perfectly okay to ignore it. Perhaps that's one reason you've never heard Kate express hatred for Tom Osborne. Compare that to the way Mike Riley treated Brenda Tracy. One game suspension. No expression of concern or regret, no apology. Pretend it's your daughter and tell me again the two are very similar. The only thing similar is that both women were abused.

Prism? Quick... name things that a football player (or any other athlete representing a university or college) can typically do to earn a one-game suspension. Drinking... Urinating in public... Not showing up for classes... Does gang rape make the list?

Again, I find the reaction of several here fascinating. Mike Riley did nothing until it made sense for him to be suddenly apologetic and remorseful. Either that or the eighteen years of guilt just suddenly got to Mike and he couldn't take it anymore. It was only after Brenda Tracy started gaining attention that Mike Riley (aka Shawn Eichorst) decided to save face by inviting her to come to Nebraska for an impromptu apology session and to speak to the players (about what Mike Riley's players did to her eighteen years previously). Wow, St. Mike. It'd have been even better if Mike Riley had invited her any of the previous eighteen years - - most of them spent as the head coach at Oregon State... in the same small Oregon city where everyone knows everyone, and where it would have been only too easy to pick up the phone and say "Hey, Brenda... Mike Riley... Say, can we meet for a cup of coffee and a conversation...". Did the Oregon State players not need to hear the same message that the Nebraska players so desperately needed to hear? Weird. Prism?

I'll go a step further... If Bo Pelini had been involved in the exact same situation and had reacted the exact same way at another school prior to coming to Nebraska;

1. Would he have gotten the head coaching job at Nebraska? Answer: No.
2. Would the Athletic Director (ahem, "Mike Riley") have invited the victimized woman to Lincoln for a soul session with the head coach, presenting it as a reconciliation by a "good man" (all the while forgetting somehow that the very same man had reacted incredibly poorly 18 years previous, and had never once even attempted to make amends). Gee Shawn, better protect your hire. Or, better yet, pretend Pelini's imaginary situation had only happened 2-3 years prior instead of 18 years... (so not like he ignored it for anywhere near as long as Mike Riley had)... Answer: No.

Finally, why bring up Tom Osborne when my comment specifically addressed Mike Riley's reaction? Tom Osborne was criticized and blasted across the country for what he did. He's criticized on this board and others regularly - - despite the fact his reaction was far more punishment that Riley's was, and yet Riley is defended. Why? I didn't say it was a similar situation - - you did. Repeatedly. Are you ignoring what Mike Riley did/didn't do, or defending it? I sure didn't see any criticism in your response, so does that mean you were/are okay with it?

Last edited:
And TO was well aware that LP was a danger to mckeown and did nothing more than tell him to stay away. It was a different time. But the same actions and same result today would land NU in a heap of trouble and TO would be out of a job.

TO told both of them to stay away from each other. What would you have him do? McEwen was a university athlete. What control did he have over what she did or didn't do?

TO told both of them to stay away from each other. What would you have him do? McEwen was a university athlete. What control did he have over what she did or didn't do?
What do you think would happen today if a coach knew his player was violent, told him to stay away from a girl and the player subsequently broke into her apartment and dragged her down the stairs. Answer honestly, if you can, what YOU would say if that happened at....say...USC.

How do I see Tom Osborne in the prism of Lawrence Phillips... ??? Great question. Let's start with this... Tom Osborne didn't fail for 18+ years to say a single thing to Kate McEwen. Instead, he spoke to Kate before the incident, and after the incident. He'd warned Kate to stay away from Lawrence, and Lawrence to stay away from Kate. Tom Osborne didn't ride his bike around Lincoln for eighteen years, pretending it didn't happen, or that it was perfectly okay to ignore it. Perhaps that's one reason you've never heard Kate express hatred for Tom Osborne. Compare that to the way Mike Riley treated Brenda Tracy. One game suspension. No expression of concern or regret, no apology. Pretend it's your daughter and tell me again the two are very similar. The only thing similar is that both women were abused.

Prism? Quick... name things that a football player (or any other athlete representing a university or college) can typically do to earn a one-game suspension. Drinking... Urinating in public... Not showing up for classes... Does gang rape make the list?

Again, I find the reaction of several here fascinating. Mike Riley did nothing until it made sense for him to be suddenly apologetic and remorseful. Either that or the eighteen years of guilt just suddenly got to Mike and he couldn't take it anymore. It was only after Brenda Tracy started gaining attention that Mike Riley (aka Shawn Eichorst) decided to save face by inviting her to come to Nebraska for an impromptu apology session and to speak to the players (about what Mike Riley's players did to her eighteen years previously). Wow, St. Mike. It'd have been even better if Mike Riley had invited her any of the previous eighteen years - - most of them spent as the head coach at Oregon State... in the same small Oregon city where everyone knows everyone, and where it would have been only too easy to pick up the phone and say "Hey, Brenda... Mike Riley... Say, can we meet for a cup of coffee and a conversation...". Did the Oregon State players not need to hear the same message that the Nebraska players so desperately needed to hear? Weird. Prism?

I'll go a step further... If Bo Pelini had been involved in the exact same situation and had reacted the exact same way at another school prior to coming to Nebraska;

2. Would the Athletic Director (ahem, "Mike Riley") have invited the victimized woman to Lincoln for a soul session with the head coach, presenting it as a reconciliation by a "good man" (all the while forgetting somehow that the very same man had reacted incredibly poorly 18 years previous, and had never once even attempted to make amends). Gee Shawn, better protect your hire. Or, better yet, pretend Pelini's imaginary situation had only happened 2-3 years prior instead of 18 years... (so not like he ignored it for anywhere near as long as Mike Riley had)... Answer: No.

Finally, why bring up Tom Osborne when my comment specifically addressed Mike Riley's reaction? Tom Osborne was criticized and blasted across the country for what he did. He's criticized on this board and others regularly - - despite the fact his reaction was far more punishment that Riley's was, and yet Riley is defended. Why? I didn't say it was a similar situation - - you did. Repeatedly. Are you ignoring what Mike Riley did/didn't do, or defending it? I sure didn't see any criticism in your response, so does that mean you were/are okay with it?
I don’t think you are up on the facts regarding any of these coaches.

I am not trying to compare the two incidences as they are totally different - should have been addressed and handled differently and I suspect all of the parties involved would have done things differently if they could go back and do so.

I do think we'd agree how both events 20+ years ago were handled would never fly in today's environment ... and rightfully so.

I really do not think this is a question of who was more right or more wrong. If you were to look at this from an outsider's perspective most would argue that both were handled wrong. I am not trying to support MR and what he did or didn't do but we are sitting here almost 20 years after the incident and trying to judge right and wrong ... and we're burning MR in effigy while defending TO. Its an inconsistent discussion.

How would TO have been in trouble over the LP incident? That's ridiculous.

How would TO have been in trouble over the LP incident? That's ridiculous.
I think in today's world TO would not have been allowed to administer the punishment and university reaction to what happened. Additionally if TO insisted upon a 7-game suspension and the other things done behind the scenes it would not have been deemed enough.

Nothing short of kicking LP off the team permanently would have been sufficient. I think that would have been hard for TO to do.

ummmmmm He was just as involved and aware of the situation as UM is with his situation.
It happened, LP was almost immediately arrested, and TO almost immediately suspended him.

It's not even remotely similar to the Meyer situation.

It happened, LP was almost immediately arrested, and TO almost immediately suspended him.

It's not even remotely similar to the Meyer situation.
You are right its not remotely similar as Zack Smith wasn't arrested even though the police investigated it 9 times. UM did fire him after breaking a trespassing violation against her. Prior to that he had no evidence to fire him. Only unfounded accusations. He did report those accusations to his boss though. And yet UM is getting blamed for what ZS is accused of and TO wasn't blamed for what LP did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back