• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Skunk ***DO NOT READ***

Chinander also said once a Blackshirt is handed out, it can be taken away as quickly as it was received.

"They have to know that, 'Listen, you don't own that Blackshirt, you're renting that Blackshirt and rent's due every day, bub.'"
This, to me, essentially say's it all.... Earn it, pay your dues, or give it up, that simple. I like it.

Earn it first. Then get awarded a Black Shirt. We need to get players back to respecting the tradition. Earn it and show it. Black Shirt means something.

I don't know... we'll have new players every year. Sounds like the Blackshirts can be taken away, given to non-starters, etc. That's not going to go over well with some.
s

Oh well. Play better. It’s about effort and doing things the right way.

The Blackshirts have historically been a team award. Given out to the starting defensive team. Individual "earning" of a blackshirt was done by making that starting team, but it has always served as a team award that generated cohesiveness and pride in the unit, in the "band of brothers" so to speak. Taking away the team part of the tradition and turning it into some kind of unnecessary, and potentially divisive, individual award will likely prove to be counter-productive. Let's just hope that this staff's coaching ability is so good that we don't dwell on the trampling of one of our greatest traditions.

Coach Frost can do whatever he wants, it's his baby.

I don't agree with the tradition being dropped but again who am I?

Skunk I know you have a picture of how you'd like this to work, but the tradition is not being dropped. McBride was one of the main guys that Chinander consulted. Frost knows a little about the Blackshirt tradition, too. These coaches are trying to re-capture the qualities that made the Blackshirts special.

Are you talking about the use of the black jerseys before McBride came along?

He has done his research on the history of Blackshirts since taking the job in December, talking to former Husker defensive greats like Peter brothers and Kelsay brothers, and probably the most celebrated Nebraska D-coordiantor from the glory years, Charlie McBride.

"Who's a Blackshirt? Well, it started off as the 11 starters," Chinander said. "To understand where it's at, it's not the 11 starters that's important. It's who deserves to be a Blackshirt. At that point in time (under McBride), it just so happened to be that those guys were doing everything the right way. And that was just the whole team at Nebraska at that time."

But right now? As a defense tries to find its footing after 4-8 season that was one of the worst statistical defensive seasons in modern Husker history?

"There might be 14 and there might be four," Chinander said. "The important thing is not only do they prove themselves on that field on Saturday by the way they play. They got to practice the right way and the way their teammates depend on them. They've got to go to school and they've got to be a Blackshirt on campus when they leave our building. They've got to be a Blackshirt in the community when they leave our building. They've got to be a Blackshirt in every facet of their life or they don't get one."

https://247sports.com/college/nebra...ake-for-players-to-earn-Blackshirts-118997554

According to reports, Chinander talked to former Nebraska defensive coordinator Charlie McBride, current inside linebackers coach Barrett Ruud, a former Husker, and other former Blackshirts in his research of the tradition. He said he may hand out some before the season, or none at all until NU has played some games. Chinander said players have to “earn” Blackshirts with their play, their academic performance and their practice work. Some Blackshirts might not even be starters.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/...cle_ca755f86-5231-5584-8ba1-5b14796df916.html

Last edited:

For the record. Do they know who the "starters" are yet? Will the guys that start against Akron be the same as the ones that start for CO? I think at least through the first half of the season. "Starter" may be a fluid description for many players.

Skunk I know you have a picture of how you'd like this to work, but the tradition is not being dropped. McBride was one of the main guys that Chinander consulted. Frost knows a little about the Blackshirt tradition, too. These coaches are trying to re-capture the qualities that made the Blackshirts special.

Are you talking about the use of the black jerseys before McBride came along?
So McBride had this long checklist he ran through before handing out the shirts?

He gave them out to the Starters, nothing more nothing less.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back