• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Skunk ***DO NOT READ***

Ya, Chins spoke with Charlie McBride and a slew of former players. I’m pretty sure the reason for doing that was to duplicate the aura of the Nebraska Blackshirt. Can’t wait...

"He formed the number 0 with his fingers.

"There's this many Blackshirts right now on our team, and there will be this many Blackshirts probably until we see somebody play in a football game. There might be a couple guys we want to have them through camp that earn them, but I want to see (most of) them play under the bright lights before they're going to go ahead and get one. And maybe by the end, there will be 11, I don't know. Maybe there will only be four."

I like it! It means that only those that perform on the field will receive it. They have to do more than show up and be a starter. Should be something that a player will want to earn and wear with pride and install motivation in others to do the same!

Yikes, this sounds a lot like how Pelini handled Blackshirts. We're going to have some angry dudes around here.
The real question is, once the Blackshirt tradition has been reestablished, will they continue waiting until after a game is played to award them in future seasons. I can see holding off in year 1 until guys are playing within the defense up to the standards the coaches expect. If they're doing that in years 2 and 3 there will probably be some groans.

Last edited:

The real question is, once the Blackshirt tradition has been reestablished, will they continue waiting until after a game is played to award them in future seasons. I can see holding off in year 1 until guys are playing within the defense up to the standards the coaches expect. If they're doing that in years 2 and 3 there will probably be some groans.
I don't know... we'll have new players every year. Sounds like the Blackshirts can be taken away, given to non-starters, etc. That's not going to go over well with some.

I don't know... we'll have new players every year. Sounds like the Blackshirts can be taken away, given to non-starters, etc. That's not going to go over well with some.
Yeah we'll see.

If Pelini had been winning titles, I doubt the complaints about how the Blackshirts were handled would've been as loud. I suspect the same will be true of Frost after the honeymoon is over.

I have no problem with Blackshirts being handed out only AFTER at least the first game. Look a the last few years D. The Blackshirt level performance has been essentially dead. I realize a good part of that lack of performance was due to coaching issues, but in terms of on-the-field performance, the tradition died a while ago. I can't argue with the current coaches' methods used to restart the tradition. The UNL grad coaches certainly have more knowledge of the ins and outs of the tradition and how to keep it strong than I do.

I’ve always been a believer that there should be 11, one for each starter. No conditions other than who earned the starting spot. Frost is one of us though, so he gets to do whatever he wants as far as I’m concerned.
Sounds like we could have a different starting group for different games based on the offense. It wouldn’t hurt my feelings if we got to 14 because a backer, safety, and tackle only start 8 games each. This first year, though, I’d the team is only at 70-80% buy in as the coaches are saying, I don’t care what they do. Dangle that carrot.

It's Frost's team and Chinander is his guy so I'm sure I will never criticize those guys for something as small as this.

If I were them, though, I would wait until at some point in this season or next the defense is playing well as a unit and then just give them all one. It's a team game, why invite the brain damage and questions about does this guy really deserve one or do you take them back after such and such a game, etc. Just a bunch of crap to put yourself through.

And anyway, if you're 7 years in and your defense is still giving up 10,000 yards in a game to Wisky, it's not the players fault anymore, it's yours. Let them wear the black shirts and you wear a skirt.

None of that is going to happen here now though. This defense will be damn good 2-4 years in or Frost will be making changes so it quickly is. I have no doubt.

Last edited:

I’m with @BigRedAvenger and @Lavaman on this one. It’s not my favorite way to handle it but I truly have trust in what Frost is doing, and he played for NU and rather had a blackshirt mentality himself. And I will say, from what I’ve seen so far these coaches won’t be so volatile as Bo was, so I’m not too worried about reactionary decisions for off games, bad performances etc. I will trust in these coaches until I don’t.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back