• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Andrew Ward ( LB) leaving NU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what many are having issue with is his use of the term. "Thinning the herd." That has a very negative connotation. When someone says that Scott has an honest conversation with kids about where they stand. Even to the point of telling the kid is they choose to transfer th staff will not oppose it. That is not negative.

Thinning the herd is more of a being forced out kind of deal. Like when Saban tells guys he will not renew your schollie. OR We are putting you on a medical schollie and if you fight it we will pull your schollie completely. To me that is thinning as opposed to being honest with a kid.
I get it. To the degree that Saban forces kids out, that is a bad thing. Call it thinning and ban the use of that word when describing Frost (sarcasm). I don't want kids to accept schollies to DONU and then not take their football life seriously. Hopefully what Frost is doing is just describing the situation honestly and giving sound advice.

Example: "Son, you were 2nd string and climbing fast in the previous scheme, now you are 4th string and there are 2 new guys that will pass you soon. We'd love for you to stay, help on the scout team or play on special teams late in games. We would expect you to participate in our training programs and do x y z to improve your game. If you make improvements, your position on the team will be reconsidered. ABC college has expressed interest in you, you would likely be a 3 year starter there and its only 100 miles from your home and they have the same engineering program there as we do. You decide what you want to do. Thank you for your contributions to the team. We support you 100%. It would be helpful to you and our program if you'd decide by xx/xx/xx date."

Some might call that thinning, and mean it in a negative way. Others might call it thinning and mean it in a realistic way. Still others might call it thinning and mean it in a humorous way. It is ok to appreciate a coach that wants to build a winner and wants to be honest about players that are not helping the cause. These conversations do need to happen. That does not suggest its ok, in any way, to any degree, to run a guy off the team. It is ok to appreciate when a spot opens up on the team for a deserving player.

It does become harder to suggest Saban is unethical, but Frost is pristine. On the surface it may seem they are doing the same thing. But we cannot let the fear of appearances hinder good wholesome progress. It does not strengthen our resolve if we call out one amongst us based solely on our interpretation of a word.

I get it. To the degree that Saban forces kids out, that is a bad thing. Call it thinning and ban the use of that word when describing Frost (sarcasm). I don't want kids to accept schollies to DONU and then not take their football life seriously. Hopefully what Frost is doing is just describing the situation honestly and giving sound advice.

Example: "Son, you were 2nd string and climbing fast in the previous scheme, now you are 4th string and there are 2 new guys that will pass you soon. We'd love for you to stay, help on the scout team or play on special teams late in games. We would expect you to participate in our training programs and do x y z to improve your game. If you make improvements, your position on the team will be reconsidered. ABC college has expressed interest in you, you would likely be a 3 year starter there and its only 100 miles from your home and they have the same engineering program there as we do. You decide what you want to do. Thank you for your contributions to the team. We support you 100%. It would be helpful to you and our program if you'd decide by xx/xx/xx date."

Some might call that thinning, and mean it in a negative way. Others might call it thinning and mean it in a realistic way. Still others might call it thinning and mean it in a humorous way. It is ok to appreciate a coach that wants to build a winner and wants to be honest about players that are not helping the cause. These conversations do need to happen. That does not suggest its ok, in any way, to any degree, to run a guy off the team. It is ok to appreciate when a spot opens up on the team for a deserving player.

It does become harder to suggest Saban is unethical, but Frost is pristine. On the surface it may seem they are doing the same thing. But we cannot let the fear of appearances hinder good wholesome progress. It does not strengthen our resolve if we call out one amongst us based solely on our interpretation of a word.
I agree with your example but it is not the word thinning by itself that is the issue. Thinning the herd in hunters connotation usually means killing or forcibly separating to improve the overall health of the herd. Forcing out the weak links.

First, I've never taken a shot at Decker. McMullen on the other hand, deserves any shots he gets from anyone. He was part of a group of malcontents in the DL that were egged on (and out) by Kaz and didn't have the dedication or fortitude to stick it out as a Senior leader for his team. He is a consummate "me" player, not a team guy at all. He's no Husker to me, not after that baloney. Sure, they tried to put perfume on that stinking story, but it still reeked.
BS. McMullen doesn't need any criticism for recognizing he didn't want to play for that worthless staff. You want to say he gave up on his team? Well what can of "give up" did this administration have for the "team" that led to McMullen saying he didn't want anything to do with it. Right now McMullen is looking like the smart one. He didn't waste his time.

One thing we know is that Decker was not willing to dedicate himself to the team based on the expectations outlined by Frost when he arrived.
You don't know this. You are making the assumption that SF met with him and set the expectations and that Decker choose not to meet those expectations. What is coming from the player and the media is not what you are saying. It wasn't because he wasn't wanting to meet those expections.....it was that he was not wanting to risk injuries and has a desire to do something else. Heck......you don't even know if SF had met with Decker privately prior to his announcement. The point many are getting at is Decker appears to be making this decision without any regard to what SF is setting for expectations and yet your narrative is that he is being nudged out based on those expectations.

Every player on the team deserves an honest appraisal of where they stand and what they need to do to improve upon their standing. If the coaching staff is of the opinion that a player will never contribute significantly, the player deserves to hear that, too. What the player does with this information (motivation to work harder to succeed vs. transfer to a school that is a better fit) is solely up to the player.

Every player on the team deserves an honest appraisal of where they stand and what they need to do to improve upon their standing. If the coaching staff is of the opinion that a player will never contribute significantly, the player deserves to hear that, too. What the player does with this information (motivation to work harder to succeed vs. transfer to a school that is a better fit) is solely up to the player.

Yep. Or retire from the sport altogether. Football is temporary.

I'm glad you are willing to admit that SF is having sit down meetings with all the players and that this is resulting in some leaving the team. One thing we know is that Decker was not willing to dedicate himself to the team based on the expectations outlined by Frost when he arrived. Hence, though SF did not want to have Decker leave...he also wouldn't want a non-dedicated player on his team. An unintended consequence of being upfront and honest with your players, I suppose.

As to your simplistic notion that the Decker and McMullen situations are precisely the same...I strongly disagree. In one instance (Decker), a player has taken his HC's expectations to heart and therefor could not justify returning because he was unable to dedicate himself to those expectations. A very open and honest decision. And while his HC might have hoped that he could dedicate himself, they both (SF & MD) know that his departure isn't a big blow to the team. There are others with extensive PT at Center and some high potential underclassmen as well.

In the other case (McMullen), he and some other DL's had a history of inappropriate activity with a previous coach (Kaz) during the transition year. The team lost 2 DL's early to the NFL, and while McMullen had started every game of the transition year...he still behaved as though he had a beef with the staff despite the fact that the DL coach had been replaced after the season with a Nebraska guy (JP). His decision to bail on his team along with the NFL departures, left the DL devastated and with little to no experience. He abandoned his team despite the fact that everyone was counting on him to return. He didn't even bother to leave Lincoln. Sure they dressed up a cute little story to make it somewhat palatable, but truth is the whole thing stunk to high heaven. But, that's just my opinion, believe what you want, just don't try to tell me the situations are the same. Life has many shades of gray, it isn't always black and white.

Decker's decision had nothing to do with Frost's expectations, he had considered leaving before and had he left during Riley's tenure I'm sure you would've gone GFOA on him and blamed Bo. Our top options at C look to be the starting RG with no C experience, two walk ons and a true FR. There is exactly one with "extensive" PT at C, a walk on who also has extensive PT at RT. We know how you feel about moving players along the OL.

Your continued invented fantasy over what you claim McMullen is/was thinking and unending desire to trash him over your hatred of Kaz says a lot about you. You should get all of McMullen's teammates in a room and let them know how you feel about him to see if you can make it out alive. Riley didn't blame Kaz, Bo or any of the players, he fired Hank Hughes. Hughes may go down as one of the worst assistants in Nebraska history, except no one knows who he is. McMullen lost his desire for FB just as Decker did, no different other than Kaz & Bo own you. McMullen leaving is no different than any player who has left early for the NFL over the years, shall we make a list of all the players who have abandoned their teammates and are no longer worthy of being Huskers?

People reassess their lives at different times.I see nothing wrong with a student who plays football on a scholarship from deciding he or she doesn't want to play anymore but rather has found the possibility of some other pursuit at college to be more appealing. It has nothing to do with abandoning teammates, refusing to make a commttment, etc. he just is walking away from that part of his life and taking up something else.

Example from another field. I knew a US Senator who chaired a committee and decided to retire from the Senate. He had years to serve had he wanted to and could have risen in the hierarchy. He just decided he wanted to do something else. The ranking minority said to him congratulations, I would do that too except there isn't anything else I know how to do.

Some of these players want to know how to do something else, or find doing something else very appealing. Quit ragging on them for that.

How is this thread still a thing? His fridge has been cleaned out and has already been littered with cold pizza from the next guy.

BS. McMullen doesn't need any criticism for recognizing he didn't want to play for that worthless staff. You want to say he gave up on his team? Well what can of "give up" did this administration have for the "team" that led to McMullen saying he didn't want anything to do with it. Right now McMullen is looking like the smart one. He didn't waste his time.
I get that many fans will look at it this way because of their hatred for the last staff. But I don't care how bad the coaching staff was, his group the D
l's had won that mini-war by getting their DL coach replaced. But, that wasn't enough blood for these malcontents. I can minimally understand the departures of those bound for the NFL, though I blame them for treachery as well. But McMullen...he hung his team mates out to dry for no reason but selfishness. He's no Husker. This is my last comment on this thread (and hopefully ever) regarding McMullen.

You don't know this. You are making the assumption that SF met with him and set the expectations and that Decker choose not to meet those expectations. What is coming from the player and the media is not what you are saying. It wasn't because he wasn't wanting to meet those expections.....it was that he was not wanting to risk injuries and has a desire to do something else. Heck......you don't even know if SF had met with Decker privately prior to his announcement. The point many are getting at is Decker appears to be making this decision without any regard to what SF is setting for expectations and yet your narrative is that he is being nudged out based on those expectations.
Just curious, do you need a video tape of someone opening their car door in a parking lot and dinging your car door to know that it happened? Or, when you come back to the car and see the ding is that proof?

When Frost arrived 6 month's ago, he met with the team and outlined the expectations and hard work the team was in for, that's a fact. After Spring ball, Frost told us that he'd be having these open and honest meetings with players, that's a fact. Now, 6 months after SF's arrival and 6 months after SF outlined the team expectations, and in the very timeframe where SF said he'd be meeting with every player...Decker releases a statement that he's been thinking about this for 6 month's and that he's quiting because he can't or won't meet football expectations. You think these events are unrelated? And you think Decker didn't meet with SF before releasing his tweet? LOL.

Last edited:
Just curious, do you need a video tape of someone opening their car door in a parking lot and dinging your car door to know that it happened? Or, when you come back to the car and see the ding is that proof?

When Frost arrived 6 month's ago, he met with the team and outlined the expectations and hard work the team was in for, that's a fact. After Spring ball, Frost told us that he'd be having these open and honest meetings with players, that's a fact. Now, 6 months after SF's arrival and 6 months after SF outlined the team expectations, and in the very timeframe where SF said he'd be meeting with every player...Decker releases a statement that he's been thinking about this for 6 month's and that he's quiting because he can't or won't meet football expectations. You think these events are unrelated? And you think Decker didn't meet with SF before releasing his tweet? LOL.
Seriously, just stop. You have literally no idea WTH you're talking about. You sound like Gobl's.

Really good article on the front page referencing a new rule allowing Nebraska with a new coach to do what we're doing.... nice read and explains a lot.

https://247sports.com/college/nebra...sult-in-more-attrition-for-Nebraska-118504819
Avery interesting quote from the article, leading me to believe as fact that Decker and SF met and reached a mutual understanding before Decker published his tweet:

“As long as they do not participate with the team going forward, that scholarship does not have to count against the limit for the coaching staff per NCAA rules,” he said. “Football has 85 scholarships. If you have a guy that chooses to take this route and it is mutual and agreed upon with the coach, then that scholarship remains intact for however many years are left on the agreement, but it will not count against the 85.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back