• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

The Miles Enigma

Comparing Coach Miles who is in a power basketball conference and not getting anything done, to a guy that plays in a mid-major baseball conference that allows teams like Nebraska-Omaha to offer more scholarships than us, who has gotten us to the NCAA tournament 3 of the last 4 years out of this mid-major conference, while being the defending conference champion and coach of the year is uneducated.

People just wishing for the days of CWS and having zero clue the reduction in scholarships we've gone thru moving to the B1G is just mind-blowing to me. Nebraska fans are so entitled it's unreal.

But if we want to circle it back to Miles, I actually was his biggest hater and he showed me a bit this year. Not sure if he played his way back to having a job or not, but he either has to get a multi-year extension or get fired in my opinion.

I hate your new avatar.

Let's get The Man back in there.

I'm wondering if Miles is considering whether he wants to continue at Nebraska or not. He's had success everywhere he's gone, and no one has had success at Nebraska over the long haul. Everyone is talking about whether he should be fired or not, I wonder if he's looking at it more like this is the year he should move to a better fit for him.

I'd be okay with Miles moving on and Nebraska keeping what they can of the existing staff together. I think Michael Lewis is going to be a big time coach eventually. Might as well try to get him to blossom at Nebraska. Or you could offer a bunch of money to a coach on the downside of his career who wants a challenge - like Steve Fisher or someone. Either way, Nebraska is kind of a crappy job with potential. What's Nebraska's record over the last 50 years?

Well, I'm a nerd, I'll figure it out. The answer back to the beginning of Cipriano's carreer (55 years) is

55% overall, 45% in conference last 55 years
50% all, 43% conf, Miles (6 seasons)
53% all, 35% conf, Sadler (6 seasons)
49% all, 38% conf, Collier (6 seasons)
57% all, 43% conf, Nee (14 seasons)
71% all, 60% conf, Iba (6 seasons)
56% all, 53% conf, Cipriano (17 seasons)

54% all, 44% conf, overall *excluding Iba's six seasons*

52% all, 46% conf, overall for 122 seasons.

54% all, 44% conf, since Big 8 formed in 57-58 (modern conferences)
48% all, 40% conf, in the Big Ten (7 seasons)
53% all, 40% conf, in the Big 12 (15 seasons)
55% all, 46% conf, in the Big 8 (39 seasons)

Miles is more of the same, as many have pointed out. But you have to wonder if the problem is Miles if he's pretty much in line with past results in arguably easier conferences over half a century.

I used statistics from this site: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/nebraska/

Last edited:
I'm wondering if Miles is considering whether he wants to continue at Nebraska or not. He's had success everywhere he's gone, and no one has had success at Nebraska over the long haul. Everyone is talking about whether he should be fired or not, I wonder if he's looking at it more like this is the year he should move to a better fit for him.

I'd be okay with Miles moving on and Nebraska keeping what they can of the existing staff together. I think Michael Lewis is going to be a big time coach eventually. Might as well try to get him to blossom at Nebraska. Or you could offer a bunch of money to a coach on the downside of his career who wants a challenge - like Steve Fisher or someone. Either way, Nebraska is kind of a crappy job with potential. What's Nebraska's record over the last 50 years?

Well, I'm a nerd, I'll figure it out. The answer back to the beginning of Cipriano's carreer (55 years) is

Miles is more of the same, as many have pointed out. But you have to wonder if the problem is Miles if he's pretty much in line with past results in arguably easier conferences over half a century.

I used statistics from this site: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/nebraska/

Interesting data. Thanks for looking that all up.

Your pointing out what I have been saying on a couple of threads. Is it the coach or is it Nebraskaball in general. A lot of guys, and they know who they are, think it is purely a coaching thing. It may be, but I think it goes a lot deeper than that.

Your pointing out what I have been saying on a couple of threads. Is it the coach or is it Nebraskaball in general. A lot of guys, and they know who they are, think it is purely a coaching thing. It may be, but I think it goes a lot deeper than that.
Or maybe past performance doesn't guarantee future results. :)

Maybe something revolutionary like a bright coach like Shaka Smart or Mark Few has to take over and lead UNL to the promised land. Or maybe it's continual small improvements like getting 2% better every year on average. I think Miles could do the latter, but I think the former would have already happened if it was going to.

I don't know, but I think the athletic department is investing in men's basketball, and that should help if nothing else. It doesn't have to help, as shown by Sadler. Miles is a good guy, but the foundation doesn't seem strong. My guess is that UNL kicks the decision down the road because they have other things to worry about.

Last edited:

48% all, 40% conf, in the Big Ten (7 seasons)
53% all, 40% conf, in the Big 12 (15 seasons)
55% all, 46% conf, in the Big 8 (39 seasons)

Nebraska should be so lucky as to have miles get hired away. NOBODY is hiring Tim Miles.

Last edited:
Exactly, correct. Recruiting top notch basketball players at Nebraska is extremely difficult. In state D-1 talent is almost non existent. Trying to pull kids from other states who have top 20 programs is almost impossible. Transfers and Juco kids is the route Miles has to explore. Miles got lucky with his current team. NU needs a big man to help ancor the paint and we have not had one for years. Recruiting is the key and a huge obstacle to over come at NU. IMHO, Miles had a banner year, all things considered.

Last edited:

Nebraska should be so lucky as to have miles get hired away. NOBODY is hiring Tim Miles.
I didn't say that Miles would be hired away to a better job, I was wondering if Miles is thinking about trying the market right now. CSU might be happy to have Miles back, but that's really not what I was saying.

Exactly, correct. Recruiting top notch basketball players at Nebraska is extremely difficult. In state D-1 talent is almost non existent. Trying to pull kids from other states who have top 20 programs is almost impossible. Transfers and Juco kids is the route Miles has to explore. Miles got lucky with his current team. NU needs a big man to help ancor the paint and we have not had one for years. Recruiting is the key and a huge obstacle to over come at NU. IMHO, Miles had a banner year, all things considered.

I get tired of the "we can't get good players, there is no talent in Nebraska, etc" stuff.

I hate to even bring Creighton into a discussion about nebraska basketball because too often it degenerates into some other argument. BUT...creighton has managed to recruit quite a few "4 star" guys or borderline "4 star" guys over the last few years amd they are recruiting TO Nebraska. Yes, CU has had more success than NU but kids in North Carolina or new jersey probably don't give a ton of thought to creighton's "tradition".

Even NU has recruited some sought after players recently. They beat out CU for Watson and I'd love to see what he'd be doing at CU right now.

My point is there are a LOT of good players out there and the traditional powers can only take so many. NU CAN recruit to the level needed to make the tourney. And there is the transfer market.

Talent may be an issue but it doesn't HAVE to be.

I get tired of the "we can't get good players, there is no talent in Nebraska, etc" stuff.

I hate to even bring Creighton into a discussion about nebraska basketball because too often it degenerates into some other argument. BUT...creighton has managed to recruit quite a few "4 star" guys or borderline "4 star" guys over the last few years amd they are recruiting TO Nebraska. Yes, CU has had more success than NU but kids in North Carolina or new jersey probably don't give a ton of thought to creighton's "tradition".

Even NU has recruited some sought after players recently. They beat out CU for Watson and I'd love to see what he'd be doing at CU right now.

My point is there are a LOT of good players out there and the traditional powers can only take so many. NU CAN recruit to the level needed to make the tourney. And there is the transfer market.

so true. talent in basketball helps, but talent isn't the only metric in bball. a 6 ft5 5* swing guard isn't 5x better then a 6ft5 4* swing guard, etc etc. good coaching can TAKE guys who may not have 5* "talent" and turn them into what the coach needs them to be in order to win. some coaches are just way better at doing that then others.

If Nebraska wants to lure top recruits in basketball, the university needs to align itself with Nike. Shoe deals determine which schools a player will even consider.

I buy the it’s hard to recruit to Nebraska theory to a certain extent. It’s basketball though, two players can flip a program. Give me an NBA bench player and three guys who can play overseas on my roster and even coach Dash could roll the bottom third of any conference....easily.

What’s unique about the Tim Miles situation is that unlike the previous two coaches, he has got talent here. Outside of Maric, Petteway, Palmer, and Copeland are all considerably more talented than anyone Collier and Doc ever brought in. Getting transfers is great and a luxury, but you need 4 year players, too. He’s whiffed on so many that he can’t surround his good transfers with with capable players. This is the first year that he has in my opinion with Watson, Roby, Jordy, and Allen. I really wish I would have seen a practice this year, because if he whiffed on Thor and Nana, we are right back to missing in high school talent again. If he hit on them, maybe there is hope that he turned the corner in regards to talent identification.

I buy the it’s hard to recruit to Nebraska theory to a certain extent. It’s basketball though, two players can flip a program. Give me an NBA bench player and three guys who can play overseas on my roster and even coach Dash could roll the bottom third of any conference....easily.

What’s unique about the Tim Miles situation is that unlike the previous two coaches, he has got talent here. Outside of Maric, Petteway, Palmer, and Copeland are all considerably more talented than anyone Collier and Doc ever brought in. Getting transfers is great and a luxury, but you need 4 year players, too. He’s whiffed on so many that he can’t surround his good transfers with with capable players. This is the first year that he has in my opinion with Watson, Roby, Jordy, and Allen. I really wish I would have seen a practice this year, because if he whiffed on Thor and Nana, we are right back to missing in high school talent again. If he hit on them, maybe there is hope that he turned the corner in regards to talent identification.
Exactly on the "two players" thing. This isn't like trying to get KU football into the CFP. You don't need 13 4 star ballers.

Got close this year - need to sustain/improve next year.... agree with the OP premise, hard to imagine TM taking DONU to the next level.

but I for one am hoping for more than simply bluebird-level success... need to aim higher - for crying out loud, even nearby neighbors K-State & Wichita State have been to multiple final fours.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back