• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

O-Line has potential for rapid impovement

Paramus

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
Scott Frost said that he wants Husker Nation to get to know the great people that comprise his coaching staff. The LJS put the spotlight on O-Line coach Greg Austin, a former Husker O-lineman.

Now that recruiting is over Coach Austin is engaged in the important task of building player relationships.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...61c62959-4e2e-5da5-96a5-983a817756e5.amp.html

The O-line is likely the biggest factor that will prevent NU from being 113th in the nation in total offense like UCF was in SF's first year.

SF may have inherited QBs that don't fit his scheme, but there is no such thing as pro-style versus dual-threat O-lineman. The NU offensive line talent is much greater than it was at UCF, and Coach Austin says that the chance for it to improve rapidly is there.

The O-line can also make our QB situation better than it was at UCF in 2016. Our QBs can have more time to execute plays; the WRs can have more time to get open, and the RBs can have more room to run.

Lots of Kool-aid in this article

1. Players are attacking the weight room as hard or harder than they did at UCF
2. Players are encouraging one another in the weight room
3. Zack Duval is the best there is at body renovations and Coach Austin already sees bodies changing.
4. Lots of O-line depth and talent on our roster - 3 seniors and 14 underclassmen on scholarship.
5. SF thinks rapid change is in store for the O-line - he likes the talent and body sizes - he thinks we have O-lineman that could become great.

GregAustin_02.gif

Last edited:

Bartender, keep them coming :Koolaid2:

“In order for you to play fast — especially the guys up front — there’s a lot of things that have to happen between getting the play, seeing the defense, declaring the defense, diagnosing what they’re doing, seeing the tendencies and then being able to put yourself in the best position to execute your block,” Austin said. “All of that has to be taken into account in a matter of seconds. One of the things we’re doing right now is getting those guys thinking fast in the meeting room sessions.”

I'm happy for our o-line. Cav would have needed a nap if he was trying to coach the guys to do all that stuff.

Austin knows because he was one of them - o-line is often one of the mentally brightest groups on the team.

Have to coach their minds and their bodies.

“Not only are their bodies changing, but their mindsets are changing,” Austin said

Last edited:
No more Kool-aid for me. I have joined Kool-aid anonymous.

That funny. This is just for you - The O-line has all the size and talent to become great, and they are working their tails off to get in better shape, but there is also mental aspect to making the O-line great. They must learn to think and play fast, and that may not come about as rapidly as their physical conditioning.

Last edited:

Yep. We heard similar quotes coming from the last regime, but the difference is that the boys from UCF know what real work is.

The other difference is that the last regime did not have the benefit of my advice. Here I am giving some pointers to Coach Austin. I vividly recall how I showed the UCF WRs which way not to run. After that lesson, their improvement was quite rapid.

CqK8zNgWIAAHeUY.jpg

Last edited:

:Lol: And Paramus, you definitely look like a PLAYUH. :Rockon:

There were 2 times when UCF security accused me of trying to sneak out with a football under my shirt. But that's just pure muscle.

As a member of the team, I told Coach Frost that I wanted to go out for QB. I was as big as McKenzie Milton and I could throw side arm just like he could. But each time I reported to where Coach Verduzco told me to be, nobody was there.

Stan%2BLaurel%2Bin%2BCounty%2BHospital%2B(1932).jpg

Last edited:
That funny. This is just for you - The O-line has all the size and talent to become great, and they are working their tails off to get in better shape, but there is also mental aspect to making the O-line great. They must learn to think and play fast, and that may not come about as rapidly as their physical conditioning.
I know there is talent there and I do believe they are working hard. But like you said they need to work on the mental aspect and I am not sure how fragile their psyche might be given the rough 2017 season.

This is a good discussion. Thanks for posting the link and initiating the conversation.

Scott Frost said that he wants Husker Nation to get to know the great people that comprise his coaching staff. The LJS put the spotlight on O-Line coach Greg Austin, a former Husker O-lineman.

Now that recruiting is over Coach Austin is engaged in the important task of building player relationships.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...61c62959-4e2e-5da5-96a5-983a817756e5.amp.html

The O-line is likely the biggest factor that will prevent NU from being 113th in the nation in total offense like UCF was in SF's first year.

SF may have inherited QBs that don't fit his scheme, but there is no such thing as pro-style versus dual-threat O-lineman. The NU offensive line talent is much greater than it was at UCF, and Coach Austin says that the chance for it to improve rapidly is there.

The O-line can also make our QB situation better than it was at UCF in 2016. Our QBs can have more time to execute plays; the WRs can have more time to get open, and the RBs can have more room to run.

Lots of Kool-aid in this article

1. Players are attacking the weight room as hard or harder than they did at UCF
2. Players are encouraging one another in the weight room
3. Zack Duval is the best there is at body renovations and Coach Austin already sees bodies changing.
4. Lots of O-line depth and talent on our roster - 3 seniors and 14 underclassmen on scholarship.
5. SF thinks rapid change is in store for the O-line - he likes the talent and body sizes - he thinks we have O-lineman that could become great.

GregAustin_02.gif
koolaid.png

Pour and pass plenty for everyone:Drool:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back