• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Which NU HCing hire gave you the most optimism?

Which NU coaching hire gave you the greatest sense of optimism?

• Tom Osborne

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Frank Solich

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bill Callahan

• Bo Pelini

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Mike Riley

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Scott Frost

Votes: 44 67.7%
  • More than one

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

• Total voters

All of them, but that's just me.

4447092.gif

C

The Skunkman has a good point. What do we talk about during this long off-season? With a new head coach (transition year) and a tough schedule, it's anybody's guess what NU football will look like this fall. But Husker fans always carry a healthy level of optimism no matter what. So that is something to talk about.

When Bob Devaney was hired, it seemed a bit out of left field, but it did not take long for Bob to gain fan approval. The sell-out streak began during his first season in 1962.

Question...Since Bob Devaney, which NU HCing hire gave you the greatest level of optimism...the level of optimism before the new guy had coached his 1st game for the University of Nebraska?

I have to admit that I knew little if anything about TO when he was hired in 1973. I was more skeptical than optimistic. I was very optimistic about the Frank Solich hire. He had been TO's assistant HC for many years, and I felt he had been well-groomed for the position. Bill Callahan had been to a Super Bowl as a head coach. I thought that was promising, but he had also just been fired with many of his players showing non-support. I was not completely keen on that hire. I liked the Bo hire a lot. He was a defensive guru on a NC team, a former Husker coach, and TO picked him. MR was a curious hire to me. I like a dual-threat QB, so this hire did not sit very well with me. I definitely like the SF hire. The way the UCF players continued to love him even after he chose Nebraska, along with his quick rise to success gives me much optimism.

Top on my list are Solich, Bo and Frost. Hard choice, but I'll go with Frost. If Scott was not a dual-threat QB guy, I'd have to go with Frank or Bo.

Tom Osborne
Dr. Osborne followed a legend..... 99 times out of 100 it turns into a disaster!!
In this rare case....legend follows legend.... wow.

Frank Solich
Coach Solich was kind of a enigma to me..... always in Dr. Toms shadow he never had a real chance.... I mean come on.....legend follows legend legend....? I think its just was a bridge too far. WAY to much was expected immediately from Coach Solich....never had a chance....

Bill Callahan
Disaster of a coaching search...and hire. I remember going to his first spring game and when he ran the FIRST play ....remember...some kind of triple shift with 5 wideouts..... pass deep and incomplete down the right sideline.....a good number of the crowd cheered the 'new look Huskers'...... I just turned to my wife and said....."we're in trouble".....I hate it when I'm right like that....

Bo Pelini
Coach Pelini...... boy, what a interesting hire.... Got to admit I was pretty stoked after the Callahan debacle....had all the making of a great hire. But then...well.... the chip on his shoulder grew so large...and he seemed to change with the weight of it. His lack of emotional control....almost from the beginning was a bad fit for the HUSKER program.....and incompatible with Dr. Toms legacy. Sad that it ended the way it did..... Nebraska was the wrong fit for Coach Pelini....

Mike Riley
Ok, here goes...... Nice guy....GREAT personal story...and GREAT connection with the players.....but, an incomplete administrator of a major program..... not the best...maybe not really good at strategy.... and simply a sub-par, game-day head coach...wish him well always..... helped the program regain its 'nice guy ness'.....(don't think thats a word....)

Coach SCOTT FROST
BINGO.....HOME-RUN....BRAVO.....SPECTACULAR.....ACCOLADES STUPENDOUS.

...cant wait. Its fish or cut bait for the Husker program..... and I do believe we have a MASTER fisherman in Coach Frost.

Cheers
:Cheers:
:Ironn:

Last edited:
Bo Pelini was a VERY hopeful hire to me after Clownahan and I’ll be honest, i think that guy did a pretty damn good job in a lot of ways. He had a fatal flaw in that he came unhinged now and then and his teams followed suit.

If the guy could have had better self control he’d be our coach to this day.

Poll would be way more realistic if Frost was not listed, as it not a fair comparison. AS Frost by definition is the obvious choice as the only UNDEFEATED candidate.

Folks are not being honest IMHO about Bo Pelini, as he was by FAR the coach with the most excitement (excluding Frost).

---Pelini was that year's "Hot Coordinator", Coached in the MNC game, had extensive Defensive coordinator background, and was a national name for Defensive coordinators at the time.

---Pelini's 2003 Dominant Defense added to the hype

---Being "hand selected" by the legend himself

The hype and excitement at the time was close to the current hype now with Frost. The only thing perhaps, holding Pelini back was the group of Husker fans hoping for a Gill hire, which of course is not happening in 2018.

No one else on the list even comes close to the hype and excitement that Pelini brought. Pelini's results are clouding some memories here.

Last edited:
Poll would be way more realistic if Frost was not listed, as it not a fair comparison. AS Frost by definition is the obvious choice as the only UNDEFEATED candidate.

Folks are not being honest IMHO about Bo Pelini, as he was by FAR the coach with the most excitement (excluding Frost).

---Pelini was that year's "Hot Coordinator", Coached in the MNC game, had extensive Defensive coordinator background, and was a national name for Defensive coordinators at the time.

The hype and excitement at the time was close to the current hype now with Frost. The only thing perhaps, holding Pelini back was the group of Husker fans hoping for a Gill hire, which of course is not happening in 2018.

No one else on the list even comes close to the hype and excitement that Pelini brought. Pelini's results are clouding some memories here.

Couldn’t agree more. I was extremely excited, as well as quite pleased after year 1!!

My optimism has been sky-high with each new hire. My enthusiasm-level, however, has varied quite a bit with each one. I was too young to really form an opinion when TO was hired (but that was really just a promotion/succession). FS was another promotion/succession, and just the way things were supposed to be (although I was disappointed TO was retiring and had hoped he would have continued at least as long as Bowden). The BC hire was different. I was somewhat enthusiastic, but had hoped we would have been able to pull in someone better (and no, that wouldn't have included Houston Nutt). I was very enthusiastic for BP. I was a bit worried that he had never been a head coach, but thought he was the right guy for the job, and as someone else pointed out, he was hired by TO, so that carried a lot of weight, optimism, and enthusiasm. I was a bit underwhelmed by the MR hire, again thinking we should have been able to get a much bigger fish, but optimistic and willing to give him a chance. The SF hire has me extremely enthusiastic. Two years ago, I would have been in the same place I was when BP was hired, but now he has the HC experience, and he's coming in as the hottest young HC in the country.

So my rankings for optimism would have all of them at the same level, but for enthusiasm, it would be SF, BP (a close second), BC, and then MR. I wouldn't even be able to rate TO or FS, because they were simply "next in line" and I didn't have any reason to believe things would be any different under them (I was quite young when TO was hired, and naive when FS was hired).

The majority here were either too young or not yet alive to have memory of the Osborne hire. I was three at the time. But if I didn't still have carry around my blanket at the time, I would pick T.O. easily over the rest of the list. We were riding high off consecutive national titles -- and you couldn't easily fail with hiring the man who was a large part of the success.

I'm in wait-and-see mode with Frost. I've learned the hard way to not get excited about coaching hires. The only guarantee in life is death.

Tom Osborne
Dr. Osborne followed a legend..... 99 times out of 100 it turns into a disaster!!
In this rare case....legend follows legend.... wow.

Frank Solich
Coach Solich was kind of a enigma to me..... always in Dr. Toms shadow he never had a real chance.... I mean come on.....legend follows legend legend....? I think its just was a bridge too far. WAY to much was expected immediately from Coach Solich....never had a chance....

Bill Callahan
Disaster of a coaching search...and hire. I remember going to his first spring game and when he ran the FIRST play ....remember...some kind of triple shift with 5 wideouts..... pass deep and incomplete down the right sideline.....a good number of the crowd cheered the 'new look Huskers'...... I just turned to my wife and said....."we're in trouble".....I hate it when I'm right like that....

Bo Pelini
Coach Pelini...... boy, what a interesting hire.... Got to admit I was pretty stoked after the Callahan debacle....had all the making of a great hire. But then...well.... the chip on his shoulder grew so large...and he seemed to change with the weight of it. His lack of emotional control....almost from the beginning was a bad fit for the HUSKER program.....and incompatible with Dr. Toms legacy. Sad that it ended the way it did..... Nebraska was the wrong fit for Coach Pelini....

Mike Riley
Ok, here goes...... Nice guy....GREAT personal story...and GREAT connection with the players.....but, an incomplete administrator of a major program..... not the best...maybe not really good at strategy.... and simply a sub-par, game-day head coach...wish him well always..... helped the program regain its 'nice guy ness'.....(don't think thats a word....)

Coach SCOTT FROST

BINGO.....HOME-RUN....BRAVO.....SPECTACULAR.....ACCOLADES STUPENDOUS.

...cant wait. Its fish or cut bait for the Husker program..... and I do believe we have a MASTER fisherman in Coach Frost.

Cheers
:Cheers:
:Ironn:

I must ask you ... do you have poor eyesight?
(I'm only half-kidding.) ;) :) :Biggrin:

Last edited:

I was warmer than lukewarm with the Bo hire (relatively excited; not ecstatic). But I honestly wanted Gill more.

I was warmer than lukewarm with the Bo hire (relatively excited; not ecstatic). But I honestly wanted Gill more.
I'm not going to lie, I was intrigued with the Gill hire, but I honestly thought that Bo would bring us that Charlie McBride D, and an updated Osborne offense.... I was stoked..... Boliever, yeah, I suppose I was........

GET TICKETS

Back