• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A legal question about FHCMR contract.

This ^^^

And also, it may or may not be a winnable case. You still have to convince a judge and/or jury that it's bad faith. Just because a couple of posters on an anonymous fan message board don't like the circumstance doesn't make it so. You have to prove it and just the salary disparity isn't enough IMO.

Good luck.

Would that be a Nebraska jury or an Oregon jury? I would think a Nebraska jury might not need a whole lot of convincing. :Biggrin:

MR per the standard contract is getting paid quite a bit of money for the next few years from NE. Any money he makes at OSU is deducted from the money NE owes to him. According to reports, he accepted a position at OSU well below the market value for a Div1 P5 head coach. It seems to me that UNL has a very good case for arguing that he did not act in good faith when he accepted the OSU position at a discounted rate. If a judge were to agree then we might be able to get out of the whole contract.

Thoughts from any lawyers?

Your kidding right??????He is not working as a HC, he is an advisor as I understand it. Do you think he would get hired as a HC with his advanced age and losing record.

Maybe MR did and maybe he didn't. I say pick your battles. This isn't one worth tilting at.
It is not a battle. This is newsworthy. A former coach, that is still being paid by a University, is trying to skirt the system. There are millions of dollars at stake. This cost will eventually/could be passed on to us, the fans. I think this should be talked about.

It is not a battle. This is newsworthy. A former coach, that is still being paid by a University, is trying to skirt the system. There are millions of dollars at stake. This cost will eventually/could be passed on to us, the fans. I think this should be talked about.

It has been talked about. Can you prove the bold? Do we know his NU payout hasn't already been adjusted to account for this or did a reporter start a tweet storm to stir up crap and then fail to follow up because a new outrage arose? I am quite confident Moos will or has already handled it.

OK, so talk about it. I'm just saying it's probably not worth fighting in court.

It has been talked about. Can you prove the bold? Do we know his NU payout hasn't already been adjusted to account for this or did a reporter start a tweet storm to stir up crap and then fail to follow up because a new outrage arose? I am quite confident Moos will or has already handled it.
Actually, like I stated earlier in a response to someone else. If you or anyone else can't see what MR did, then I can't help you. I no longer have the energy to highlight common sense. Some of us can recognize a con, and then again some of us can not.

No, there are not millions at stake. At most it is around $550K if OSU were to increase his pay by $150k which is market value for the position. His contract runs to 2020. He failed as coach at NU but no need to lie about the man.

C

Actually, like I stated earlier in a response to someone else. If you or anyone else can't see what MR did, then I can't help you. I no longer have the energy to highlight common sense. Some of us can recognize a con, and then again some of us can not.

Yep, no doubt he wakes up every morning thinking how awesome it is he is screwing NU out of money. :rolleyes:

C

Nebraska has legal cause to get a reduction in what it pays him, but no legitimate claim of bad faith that it could use to get out of the contract entirely. His contract was going to be known because he went to work for a public university, so even if he didn't bother to tell Nebraska first, makes it impossible to prove he was trying to deceive.

Andof course he wasn't trying to deceive anyone either, objectively. A handful of overly ardent Nebraska fans may believe that, but I doubt the majority do, and any judge even in Nebraska who was brought such a case would quickly decide in Riley's favor and make Nebraska pay his legal fees.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back